Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM

60 posts, read 67,808 times

Advertisements

Hello! I currently live in Utah near Salt Lake City and ever since I moved here I have been in pain. My neurologist told me to move somewhere closer to sea level with milder weather as it seems the majority of my pain days happen in the winter or when a storm rolls through. To top it off, my husband has the same issues. We think it may have to do with altitude and living in a valley with mountain ranges on either side. We would like to live somewhere that is warm and humid and much more metropolitan than SLC with decent access to the ocean. Texas seems to fit the bill, but we've never been there. We have 4 children ages 1-14, we are both musicians, and we are both Computer Science students. I think we'd fit in just fine, but I am worried about the move improving the pain or making it worse. Anyone with fibro/migraines that can give me advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 11:26 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Is it temperature extremes due the dryness that is the problem, the cold/dry combination, or the attitude (lower oxygen) that is the problem, or a combination? I guess I'm trying to understand the environmental factors as to what's wrong where you are currently.

Anywhere coastal will be essentially opposite of where you are, because it would be much lower altitude (near sea level), much more humid, and generally warmer and less varying in temperature.

Texas certainly would be one option. I guess you've ruled out the west coast and Oregon. That still also leaves all of the Gulf Coast states and the east coast.

Make sure to visit Texas (or wherever) first, to see if you like it from even a non-health standpoint. And for health comparison, maybe you could visit during the times it's most painful where you are. In other words, when it starts to flare up there, fly to the new location and see if the effects go away. That may be the only way to know.

You might also do a post in the Health areas of this forum. So instead of a location-based post, do a health-based post. Someone out there might be familiar with your health matter.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Posting in the Health forums...now why didn't I think of that? I'll go there next. We are both from coastal California, which is why we know that mild weather at sea level works for us. I lived in Portland, OR for a few years and got horrible headaches and SAD. Honestly, Texas is a little far from family in California and Utah, which is why we've never really considered it before. My husband has been to Florida and does not like it. I've seen in other health forums that the Carolina's are awful for migraines. Wherever we end up needs to have a thriving tech sector, which it seems that Texas does. A former co-worker moved to Houston and has so many good things to say about it. Austin interests me more because of the music scene, though it's not a priority.
Unfortunately, we can't really afford to just go visit places to scope it out, but we are willing to take a risk in a new place once we find employment.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 PM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
The one thing I will say for the weather near the coast in Texas, is that it doesn't change often. Most of the pressure systems that sweep across the country from west to east, pass further north.

It's hot and humid in the Summer, and warm and only slightly less humid most of the rest of the year.

I know that for many people it's the changes that bother them.

Allergies are a problem in the SE Texas area......pine tree pollen makes life hell for people with allergies in the spring.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 AM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Allergies are a problem in the SE Texas area......pine tree pollen makes life hell for people with allergies in the spring.
Though further from the coast, if you're considering the areas of the state along the I-35 corridor (San Antonio, Austin, and DFW), mountain cedar allergies can be a major problem in the winter months. DFW has a little bit less of it than does SA and Austin. Many Texas transplants (and locals too) do wind up developing an allergy to mountain cedar, as the pollen is quite potent (I've heard pharmaceutical companies actually use the pollen in developing allergy medication due to its potency in triggering allergic responses).

Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM

I was thinking we would prefer Austin or DFW, but my husband is highly allergic to the cedar trees we have here so if we end up in Texas, it sounds like Houston is the best bet. A lot of people who come to Utah develop allergies and other respiratory issues like we have, so I'm hoping to see an improvement when we leave. I don't know about pine tree pollen... we have pines here, and defintely where each of us grew up and we never had any problems. As long as it's sea level and not in a valley, I think we'll be alright.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:14 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Oak tree pollen is also a big issue here in the Houston area.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
I don't think Texas coastal winters would be good for you. While there are plenty of warm days, there are also plenty of days where it is incredibly humid AND chilly/cold. It goes right to your bones and can feel colder than a dry 30 degree day somewhere else.

I visited Park City from the Houston area in the winter. It was damp and cold when I left Houston. It was dry and cold in Park City. Park City was much more comfortable even though it was probably 10 degrees colder because it was so dry.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM

292 posts, read 245,063 times
I have Fibro and neropathy due to a nasty case of Borrelia ( known as Lyme Disease in the US) that I contacted while visiting Germany. It flares up from time to time and ABX are needed.

Anyway...I have lived in quite a few places in my 56 yrs due to expat assignments ( not O+G related)
and I have to say that Houston was been the worst of the bunch. And the Cedar allergies are pretty bad here...mind you, not as bad as living in Santa Fe NM during Cedar Fever season, but still pretty bad.

Actually, I do quite a better in Dallas...just a bit drier, and a bit less pollution.

I did/do my best in Switzerland, but no longer want to live there full time for various reasons.

The high altitude actually seems to help me, as I have low BP due to the neurological damage from the disease to the Vagus nerve...Neuro- Mediated Hypotension.

I know that you mentioned not having excessive funds to finance trips to visit the areas in question....but I have to tell you...you should, otherwise you might end up spending more in the long run..when you have to pack up and move again due to an exasperation of your symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas