Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM

3,835 posts, read 2,126,545 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this because I seriously want to know. I was last in that area in 1998. What I saw looked economically depressed and impoverished. Not being negative just commenting on what I actually saw. Based on the comments Ive seen on here things must be the same or similar. A few years ago I had read that buildings in those cities downtowns were being renovated with big plans on the horizon. Did any of that materialize? When I was there which was about 19 years ago, people kept saying the west side of Beaumont away from I-10. Is that the same today? I know the Golden Triangle has faced economic hardships, especially now in the aftermath of Harvey , but do you think the area will one day recover and become golden again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 06:42 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,051,370 times
NO, but "ever" recover, if that were the question, would be a question that certainly NO one would know, have opinions, sure.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:44 PM

That's fine. I want people's opinions about the subject. Thats why I asked. Since some people in this forum have a negative opinion or outlook of this part of the state my curiosity was piqued.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,807,805 times
I don't think so. The culture there is Cajun, which is fine, but if people are seeking out that culture they may as well cross the state line into Louisiana. So I don't think tourism will ever be a thing.

It's possible that they could get a few LNG refineries along the coast but it seems Louisiana is luring them better.

The other thing is it's possible the greater Houston area will absorb that area within 50 years. If that's the case, I can foresee people wanting to live there.

Hard to predict but I don't see a rebound for at least 20 years.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't think so. The culture there is Cajun, which is fine, but if people are seeking out that culture they may as well cross the state line into Louisiana. So I don't think tourism will ever be a thing.

It's possible that they could get a few LNG refineries along the coast but it seems Louisiana is luring them better.

The other thing is it's possible the greater Houston area will absorb that area within 50 years. If that's the case, I can foresee people wanting to live there.

Ok. Thanks cBach. You mentioned Houston possibly absorbing the area, has development on the east side picked up in recent years?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,807,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Ok. Thanks cBach. You mentioned Houston possibly absorbing the area, has development on the east side picked up in recent years?
The east side is growing, but there is a lot of land between there and the Golden Triangle.

Mt Belvieu had a 65% increase in population, that is the far eastern edge of Houston. It has the highest elevation in the area as it's on a salt dome. I would imagine that people may reconsider this as a viable place to live.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Belvieu%2C_Texas

Baytown had an 8.1% increase in population:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baytown,_Texas

Highway 99 on the east side of Baytown was recently completed. I can foresee some growth there.

The next town is Winnie and is stagnant.

I think the problem is that people in general are moving to the West side of Houston near Katy. Now with Harvey exposing the risks of the reservoirs there, perhaps people will reconsider. We will see.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:23 PM

The last time I was there passing through the Golden Triangle and Lake Charles areas, they seem to have a lot in common. A megalopolis stretching from Houston to Lake Charles would be interesting to see in the future. I know when I visited my aunt in Crosby, in 2011, he area seemed to have blossomed considerably. Is Beaumont's economy solely based on energy or is it more diversified now?

Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 AM

2,276 posts, read 4,025,315 times
Downtown Beaumont certainly seems to have more going than it did 20 years ago - but as for the whole area bouncing back - just dunno what it would take. (I left that area in '99 so just somewhat familiar what has happened since then - so ready to stand corrected)

What is the latest on the Crockett Street Entertainment district?

Welcome to Crockett Street | Beaumont Historic Entertainment District

Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the link Watchful.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:11 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,210,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

I don't see Houston absorbing the area anytime soon, but many people that work in the Triangle with families are living in Mt. Belvieu and making the commute. Mt. Belvieu has decent schools and the ability to work in Golden Triangle or Houston metro. I see that area growing a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas