Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 AM

240 posts, read 344,382 times

Advertisements

Hell all,
My husbands job will be transferring him no later than December. It was supposed to happen earlier so I have been doing some research. The plant is in Temple and we are looking at Waco in the Midway school district and Georgetown in the Georgetown High school area. Since we haven't visited yet the only way I can know about schools is by their scores. There is a big difference in the schools scores and I want to hear from some people who live there. If anyone has children that attend schools that feed into Georgetown High School will you please give me your opinions on the schools. I have children in 9th, 7th, and 3rd grades right now so I need info on each level of school. If anyone has recommendations on elementary and middle schools I'll take that also. When we do visit we want to have areas narrowed down so any help even if it's another area will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:50 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I can't tell you much about the Georgetown schools other than that I think they are considered middle of the road for the greater Austin area. Not the top performing like those in the wealthier suburbs such as Lake Travis and Westlake. But not the worst either. It feels to me like more of a retiree mecca rather than a young family with kids mecca. The majority of families with kids would be moving a bit further south to places like Cedar Park and all the new subdivisions around Round Rock. You are looking at Georgetown because it's closest to Temple. But for the great majority of Austin-area people it is on the far outer fringe of the metro area with better options closer in.

As for Midway. All 6 of the elementary schools are good. There isn't much difference. The ones in the wealthier neighborhoods like South Bosque will have more "junior league" type super involved stay-home moms. So more intense PTA politics and that sort of nonsense. But that's about it. There aren't any "bad" areas of Midway. It is about 1/3 ordinary middle class housing, about 1/3 fairly upscale housing, and about 1/3 rural. The majority of upper middle class and professional people in the Waco area (doctors, lawyers, Baylor professors, SpaceX engineers, etc.) live in the Midway area because of the schools. There are a few who live in central Waco neighborhoods and send their kids to private schools (mostly Vanguard Prep School) and some who live in the China Spring and Lorena areas and send their kids to those schools. But most choose Midway.

Last edited by texasdiver; 10-08-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I can't tell you much about the Georgetown schools other than that I think they are considered middle of the road for the greater Austin area. Not the top performing like those in the wealthier suburbs such as Lake Travis and Westlake. But not the worst either. It feels to me like more of a retiree mecca rather than a young family with kids mecca. The majority of families with kids would be moving a bit further south to places like Cedar Park and all the new subdivisions around Round Rock. You are looking at Georgetown because it's closest to Temple. But for the great majority of Austin-area people it is on the far outer fringe of the metro area with better options closer in.

As for Midway. All 6 of the elementary schools are good. There isn't much difference. The ones in the wealthier neighborhoods like South Bosque will have more "junior league" type super involved stay-home moms. So more intense PTA politics and that sort of nonsense. But that's about it. There aren't any "bad" areas of Midway. It is about 1/3 ordinary middle class housing, about 1/3 fairly upscale housing, and about 1/3 rural. The majority of upper middle class and professional people in the Waco area (doctors, lawyers, Baylor professors, SpaceX engineers, etc.) live in the Midway area because of the schools. There are a few who live in central Waco neighborhoods and send their kids to private schools (mostly Vanguard Prep School) and some who live in the China Spring and Lorena areas and send their kids to those schools. But most choose Midway.
Yes we are looking at Georgetown for its proximity to Temple. Also when I look at the activities in the parks and rec it seems to have quite a few things that I don't see on the Waco page. That could just be that Waco doesn't have it on their page but that's all I can go by for now. For example my 8 yr old wants to play volleyball and I see it for her in Georgetown but not Waco. It's also closer to some dance schools that I would consider, I danced my whole life so I'm very picky about that. Someone else said it's a lot of retiree's there. So are they the majority versus Waco having more families? I hope we can get there to visit soon.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
my sister lives and teaches in Georgetown and loves it there. It is a very vibrant city. It is growing but still has small town charm. When you visit, be sure to checkout the downtown square.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
my sister lives and teaches in Georgetown and loves it there. It is a very vibrant city. It is growing but still has small town charm. When you visit, be sure to checkout the downtown square.
Can your sister give some insight on elementary schools that feed into Georgetown HS? I really would like to hear from insiders whether it be teachers or parents. I know when we visit we won't have time to see each elementary, middle and Georgetown HS so if I can have an idea I can narrow it down.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:33 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
I’ve done some real estate scouting there and Woodway and Midway schools are popular among educated upper middle class families.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Yes we are looking at Georgetown for its proximity to Temple. Also when I look at the activities in the parks and rec it seems to have quite a few things that I don't see on the Waco page. That could just be that Waco doesn't have it on their page but that's all I can go by for now. For example my 8 yr old wants to play volleyball and I see it for her in Georgetown but not Waco. It's also closer to some dance schools that I would consider, I danced my whole life so I'm very picky about that. Someone else said it's a lot of retiree's there. So are they the majority versus Waco having more families? I hope we can get there to visit soon.
FYI....the Midway HS volleyball team was ranked #1 in the nation last year by USA Today until they were upset in the playoffs: Waco Midway (Texas) is new No. 1 in Super 25 girls volleyball rankings | USA Today High School Sports

They have a serious youth volleyball program there. I used to teach with one of the coaches. All the girls on the HS teams came up playing on select travel teams for years. Waco may or may not be the perfect place for you, but one thing you need not worry about is the quality of youth sports unless you are trying to get your kids into more offbeat sports like say lacrosse or wrestling that aren't popular in that area.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:52 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Well, to be fair, those change a lot year to year. This year they are currently ranked 1,732 nationally. 181 in the state. But, yes, there is a lot of select volleyball in the central Texas area and some good programs. Georgetown has historically had excellent girls athletic programs (track, basketball, volleyball), mainly due to hiring and keeping some excellent coaches (and good people, besides). The boys programs have not fared as well (relatively speaking), but are still good programs.

I am sure you have looked at the demographics - G'town is ~3.5% AA, so very much a minority. And the AA population of G'town is also fairly concentrated, so I am assuming mostly at one HS or the other (I would guess East View, but not sure on attendance zones). Back in the one-HS days (again, back in the 70s/80s), racial tensions were present, but not omnipresent. In some ways, it was a good environment for kids - you could see the inequities, but were also free to address them (either publicly or in your own mind). No one was locked into a clique - racial or otherwise - although there were many cliques: stoners, cedar choppers, jocks, nerds, geeks, band, preppies, etc. By senior year, though, almost all those groups overlapped substantially. There are many, many excellent 'kids' that came out of G'town and have gone on to be outstanding adults. I suppose that happens anywhere, but it is interesting to think about people then and now. One former Georgetonian is running for Lt. Governor .

In the 70s and into the 80s, there was a large influx of IBMers that significantly changed the town (mainly for the better). A lot of the 'good ol boy' network was dismantled, although not without protest. Southwestern University also brings in some people that would not otherwise be in a town that size, although SU has not grown while G'town has exploded....

Old 10-14-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, to be fair, those change a lot year to year. This year they are currently ranked 1,732 nationally. 181 in the state. But, yes, there is a lot of select volleyball in the central Texas area and some good programs. Georgetown has historically had excellent girls athletic programs (track, basketball, volleyball), mainly due to hiring and keeping some excellent coaches (and good people, besides). The boys programs have not fared as well (relatively speaking), but are still good programs.

I am sure you have looked at the demographics - G'town is ~3.5% AA, so very much a minority. And the AA population of G'town is also fairly concentrated, so I am assuming mostly at one HS or the other (I would guess East View, but not sure on attendance zones). Back in the one-HS days (again, back in the 70s/80s), racial tensions were present, but not omnipresent. In some ways, it was a good environment for kids - you could see the inequities, but were also free to address them (either publicly or in your own mind). No one was locked into a clique - racial or otherwise - although there were many cliques: stoners, cedar choppers, jocks, nerds, geeks, band, preppies, etc. By senior year, though, almost all those groups overlapped substantially. There are many, many excellent 'kids' that came out of G'town and have gone on to be outstanding adults. I suppose that happens anywhere, but it is interesting to think about people then and now. One former Georgetonian is running for Lt. Governor .

In the 70s and into the 80s, there was a large influx of IBMers that significantly changed the town (mainly for the better). A lot of the 'good ol boy' network was dismantled, although not without protest. Southwestern University also brings in some people that would not otherwise be in a town that size, although SU has not grown while G'town has exploded....
Thanks for your input. So do you think that Georgetown would be a good place for an AA family. We have no problem but don't want our children to be put in an environment that may not fully accept them. Being that my boys play baseball they are often either the only one or one of a few AA on their teams. It's never been an issue since we teach you like people for their character and not their color but we also know that it doesn't happen in all households. Honestly that is one thing that makes me question Georgetown over Midway which has a higher AA % but I would really rather be closer to Austin due to more choices that I'm seeing for my kids there.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Thanks for your input. So do you think that Georgetown would be a good place for an AA family. We have no problem but don't want our children to be put in an environment that may not fully accept them. Being that my boys play baseball they are often either the only one or one of a few AA on their teams. It's never been an issue since we teach you like people for their character and not their color but we also know that it doesn't happen in all households. Honestly that is one thing that makes me question Georgetown over Midway which has a higher AA % but I would really rather be closer to Austin due to more choices that I'm seeing for my kids there.
Hard for me to say. Growing up there, I never knew of any problems; however, when I was a preteen/teenage white dude, social problems of any sort were likely invisible to my adolescent mind. There definitely were no 'front and center' issues. I can't think of any specific reason to say it wouldn't be, other than the lack of other AAs at the school.

I played basketball and ran track and there were no race issues that I recall on the teams. I don't think there were any AA on the basketball team and only a handful on the track team; however, there just weren't many AAs in the school, so I am not sure what (if anything) that means. The football team was the draw for AA athletes, it seems. My sister dated an AA TE from the football team (or he might have been AA/Hispanic, his surname was Hispanic). I don't recall it every being an issue with anyone, but I did not run in her circles (she was three years ahead of me and quite popular). Such 'mixed' relationships seem to be quite normal even in the 70s/80s.

It is quite possible, though, that the percentage of minorities have gone down in G'town over the years as it has grown. I see CD lists the city as 25% Hispanic, which seems low compared to my recollections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas