Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
San Antonio had 4th highest ratings in the country for WS Game 7!

Not surprisingly, Houston, home of baseball's new champions, was No. 1 among the major markets with a 47.1 rating for the game broadcast on Fox.
That means 47.1 percent of homes with televisions in the market watched the game. Each rating point in every market represents one percent of the total homes in that market.
Los Angeles, as you might suspect, was No. 2 at 36.7.
Then came No. 3 Austin at 31.3 and No. 4 San Antonio at 27.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Again, if Houston can NOT increase the access to VIEW Houston games, then I agree with you. If NOTHING has changed in three to four years at the most then likely no change in the future.

Surely Houston could expand viewership into the San Antonio and why not, Austin markets and certainly then, up thru East Texas thru Tyler to MAYBE Texarkana. Again, look back at the post I made in this thread about the large demand or requests, or interest, in Tyler, two years ago, when Houston made it only, TOO the playoffs.

Astos fans base expanding into the Central Gulf states, is an interesting, new concept to me. Great if it would.
We will see how much this map has changed fairly soon..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Facebook will do their measurement based on the objective criteria of "mentions." I'm sure a larger number of Texans mentioned "Astros" or "Stros" in their feed in the past month than at any time in the site's existence. I don't believe that that constitutes fandom.

When I went to Target here in SA last night, I was surprised to see a large selection of Astros WC gear on display with the Cowboys and Longhorns gear. It didn't look especially picked-over, but it was on display.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Facebook will do their measurement based on the objective criteria of "mentions." I'm sure a larger number of Texans mentioned "Astros" or "Stros" in their feed in the past month than at any time in the site's existence. I don't believe that that constitutes fandom.

When I went to Target here in SA last night, I was surprised to see a large selection of Astros WC gear on display with the Cowboys and Longhorns gear. It didn't look especially picked-over, but it was on display.
Take your pick , every map I have seen depicting MLB Fan bases has been fairly similar, with the Rangers holding most of Texas including the entire I-35 corridor. IMHO the Astro's could win several World Series in a row and still not dominate this area. I don't think this (WSC) will change their underlying attitudes towards the city of Houston itself, which has a lot to do with the scope of the Astros fan base.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:45 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
[quote=Jack Lance;50028234]Take your pick , every map I have seen depicting MLB Fan bases has been fairly similar, with the Rangers holding most of Texas including the entire I-35 corridor. IMHO the Astro's could win several World Series in a row and still not dominate this area. I don't think this (WSC) will change their underlying attitudes towards the city of Houston itself, which has a lot to do with the scope of the Astros fan base.

[url="https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/24/upshot/facebook-baseball-map.html"]

Yep, I agree maybe three WS in a row, not likely, the fan BASE would expand somewhat, but unless you can enjoy, lol the Astros thru, the season, the fan BASE will not increase AT all. You don't "cheer" for something you rarely SEE, lol

Sadly, baseball fans will likely miss seeing an outstanding team, if Houston can keep this team together. Plus, it would be nice if not so MANY injuries during the season. This team should have won, well I don't know, how many more games this year. Yes, no excuse THEY won, but it was nothing SHORT of a miracle with 8 - 10 starters being placed on DL. All five starting pitchers, but 2 of three 2 STARTING Alstars, and 5 or 6 others. I did not think they could regain their peak performances of prior to injuries. Springer ALMOST, didn't but his "return" to form, was huge. Many players never get their production back, at least not often during the same year. Whatever, Great year Astros !

Old 11-04-2017, 04:32 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,027,720 times
These things happen in cycles... back in the day the Astros dominated Texas and even Louisiana. The Rio Grande Valley, San Antonio, and Austin were all Astros strongholds. Then the Rangers finally got good and made it to a couple of World Series. the Ryans, yes our hero Nolan, back-stabbed Houston and moved the triple-A team in Round Rock to the Rangers. That coincided with the Astros falling on hard times and also a dispute with their TV carrier.

Now it seems the Ryans will move the Round Rock team back to the Astros. That will help. Having a young exciting team will help too.

Anyway, who cares? The Astros wear "Houston" on their jersey... so long as we support our hometown boys that's all that matters...

Old 11-04-2017, 05:10 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
San Antonio had 4th highest ratings in the country for WS Game 7!

Not surprisingly, Houston, home of baseball's new champions, was No. 1 among the major markets with a 47.1 rating for the game broadcast on Fox.
That means 47.1 percent of homes with televisions in the market watched the game. Each rating point in every market represents one percent of the total homes in that market.
Los Angeles, as you might suspect, was No. 2 at 36.7.
Then came No. 3 Austin at 31.3 and No. 4 San Antonio at 27.3
Exactly, there were great ratings for the Astros all over the state. The Rangers haven't been the most popular team since 2015. The TV thing with Comcast Sportsnet and then ROOT Sports hurt initially but now it is called AT&T Sportsnet which is HQed in Texas. The Astros winning the first WS in the state with a team full of highly marketable and young talented players only cements them as the state's team for the next five-ten years. This Astros run is different than the recent Rangers run for sure.

Viewership issues four, three, two years ago aren't the same thing today.

Quote:

Quote:
Take your pick , every map I have seen depicting MLB Fan bases has been fairly similar, with the Rangers holding most of Texas including the entire I-35 corridor. IMHO the Astro's could win several World Series in a row and still not dominate this area. I don't think this (WSC) will change their underlying attitudes towards the city of Houston itself, which has a lot to do with the scope of the Astros fan base.

What makes you say that though? This was the map before the recent Rangers run coinciding with the worst run in Astros history:

[img]

And I found the map I was thinking of earlier (the 2017 fan map from reddit)...

Last edited by DabOnEm; 11-04-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Exactly, there were great ratings for the Astros all over the state. The Rangers haven't been the most popular team since 2015. The TV thing with Comcast Sportsnet and then ROOT Sports hurt initially but now it is called AT&T Sportsnet which is HQed in Texas. The Astros winning the first WS in the state with a team full of highly marketable and young talented players only cements them as the state's team for the next five-ten years. This Astros run is different than the recent Rangers run for sure.

Viewership issues four, three, two years ago aren't the same thing today.

What makes you say that though? This was the map before the recent Rangers run coinciding with the worst run in Astros history:

[img]

And I found the map I was thinking of earlier (the 2017 fan map from reddit)...
Those are some interesting maps but I still think the Facebook fan page is a more accurate gauge of popularity. The first map is based on an anonymous internet poll and the second is a all or nothing method which doesn't give any insight into regional spheres of influence within a states boundaries.

Here are a few more,

https://imgur.com/a/9qFBG

I would like to see the southern half of the I-35 corridor go Astro's but I have my doubts...

Old 11-06-2017, 12:18 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantfixstupid View Post
This was a national league series. I won't accept Houston into the American League. It was a real turnoff to move them. There was nothing genuine about the move.
I still hate that Selig made Crane move them in order to buy the team. It was the business equivalent of a mobster giving you an offer you can't refuse.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:

This map is one of many different maps created from many sources. Me personally, I've lived in louisiana for a while and I can sincerely tell you that map is extremely wrong in Louisiana. Atleast the "south" boot is 100% Astros. And a lot of Texas is as well. San Antonio seems to have been more Astros. Austin was more Astros until the rangers back to back World Series appearances and now Austin seems to all of a sudden be Astros land again. I hope the World Series championship seals the deal for Central Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas