Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston get mainly business trip visitors and out of state family members. There's really not much of a reason to come to either DFW or Houston for a recreational vacation.

San Antonio has the Alamo, Riverwalk, and a Sea World location. Austin has a music scene, SXSW, and some perceived overall hip vibe.

South Padre Island is the best beach tourist destination.

In terms of nature, there's Texas Hill Country, Palo Duro Canyon, Big Bend, the West Texas mountains (Guadalupe and Davis).

I would say that the beach and nature destinations are possible recreational vacations, which is kind of a similar rationale for visiting Colorado (the mountains).
Yeah, I think Austin most likely gets the most out of state "recreational visitors." San Antonio is awesome, but I strongly suspect most of the visitors are Texans.

Dallas and Houston get a lot of in state or people driving from LA or OK to the big city. You get the occasional hipster traveler who flies in from NY or whatever to "Just see" Dallas, but by and large most people that come to Dallas or Houston are there for work, an event or family.

My understanding is South Padre is pretty quite outside of spring break, which makes sense, It's pretty far even from the majority of the Texas population.

I'm not saying I think the goal is to be a tourist destination, I'm just saying it's apples to oranges, They aren't even the same types of tourists. On top of that, Colorado has a way higher tourist to resident ratio, and it's very different than people going to the big 12 championship or their cousin's wedding. People come to Texas do do a specific thing/ event, usually, people tend to go to Colorado to be in Colorado.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe most Coloradans don't have a bitter taste in their mouths when it comes to Texans. Maybe those who do have personality disorders, who knows? Maybe some of them had a negative experience with some Texans, like I did with some Coloradans, and it left a negative impression.

But to be clear, I really don't care that much one way or the other. I am not ever going to live in Colorado and almost certainly won't go back there either - been there done that and bought the T shirt as they say. And I don't care one way or the other what state anyone is from, as long as they treat others the way they want to be treated.
You seem pretty set in your ways, and unwilling to consider another view point so I doubt I will change your mind.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
You seem pretty set in your ways, and unwilling to consider another view point so I doubt I will change your mind.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Like I said earlier, apparently we run in very different circles. And your experiences don't align with mine at all, so why would I change my mind based on your personal anecdotes?

I consider all sorts of points of view, and I'm not even doubting that you've experienced things that are markedly different from my personal experiences. This doesn't mean that I'm "set in my ways" for the record. It just means I take what some stranger on the internet says with a grain of salt. I actually think that's probably best.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-03-2019 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
People come to Texas do do a specific thing/ event, usually, people tend to go to Colorado to be in Colorado.
Mostly true. Every trip that I've made to Colorado has been for the recreational options afforded to me in Colorado.

I would be curious to know how much tourism occurs for things like Big Bend, South Padre Island, etc. from out of state. South Padre for Spring Break is going for an event, but South Padre outside of Spring Break would is an occasion like going to Colorado for Colorado. Big Bend is the least visited U.S. national park. The Guadalupe and Davis Mountains are not massive attractions.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Mostly true. Every trip that I've made to Colorado has been for the recreational options afforded to me in Colorado.

I would be curious to know how much tourism occurs for things like Big Bend, South Padre Island, etc. from out of state. South Padre for Spring Break is going for an event, but South Padre outside of Spring Break would is an occasion like going to Colorado for Colorado. Big Bend is the least visited U.S. national park. The Guadalupe and Davis Mountains are not massive attractions.
I think that out of state tourists come to South Padre specifically to fish and bird and stuff like that.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:

Not quite, Big Bend is far from the most visited national park, but it's far from the least as well. Alaska has several that are less visited, great Basin in Nevada is less visited, Black Canyon i believe is less visited among several others. But yeah, compared to like Yellowstone or Olympic yeah it's pretty small.

I'm pretty sure South Padre gets most of it's tourism around spring break, it's pretty out of the way not just from the rest of the country, but from 90% of the population of Texas as well.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
A lot of Texans like to snow ski and it does not surprise me they move to Colorado.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think Austin most likely gets the most out of state "recreational visitors." San Antonio is awesome, but I strongly suspect most of the visitors are Texans..
I've never really understood why Austin has so much appeal. There are lots of bars and some nice lakes to visit. Also, the state Capitol. But I think as a tourist attraction, San Antonio is so much better. The Big Bend is a great place to visit for tourists, also.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:21 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Big Bend has a lot going for it. There are factors that inhibit its popularity. It is remote. Lodging is quite limited. For those willing to be brave, it is rewarding.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:42 AM

364 posts, read 617,967 times
Property taxes in Texas will end you. Especially during retirement. CO property taxes are some of the lowest I have seen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas