Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
they are libertarian on the important issues and conservative on the important issues, for the most part, they get it wrong on occasion but it's still my favorite state
They're socially conservative on unimportant fringe issues that makes Texas look like a national embarrassment (e.g. abortion, marriage, wedding cakes, bathrooms, protecting sermons from subpoenas, and on and on). Our Agricultural Commissioner Sid Miller is as ignorant as they come. Thankfully, Alabama has been taking the negative spotlight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Abortion is murder, business owners should be able to sell cakes to whomever they want, and public schools should not be forced to let transgender people into the wrong bathroom.

And all of those are libertarian positions.

Also, if Texas forced that to happen, regarding the transgenders, you would have a lot of parents taking their kids out of public schools and putting them into private schools. Then they will get blamed for why the public schools are so bad, just like the ones who have already decided public schools are not for them.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 6,131 times
Kasich was considered Conservative in the 1990s and probably still is up north. The south, whether Democrat or Republican just seems to be more Conservative. To me, Kasich seemed like the most intelligent candidate last year, even if not as exciting.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I would say Texas is not doing so well when it comes to education, women’s reproductive choices, teen pregnancy, poverty rates and the environment (probably other areas as well). It seems All of these could be improved if the government had more progressives to balance things out. Most liberal states seem to do better in these areas, but they do pay the price through taxes. I guess we have to decide what is more important.

I really want to hear the good things about Texas if I decide to relocate because of my family. I know that there must be people who do support improving the education system, improving access to healthcare, who believe in science, and Care about their neighbors; even neighbors who aren’t Christian or conservative. I know the big cities tend to be more progressive, but what about the outskirts? Are there suburbs outside of Dallas that are more moderate?

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 6,131 times
If you want less abortions, the state needs to provide more comprehensive sex education and reproductive services. No one likes abortions, but sometimes the alternative is worse. Making a woman carry a fetus to term when she’s been raped or abused is cruel. Making non wealthy women resort to illegal unsafe abortions is just not okay. Was it Clinton who said, “Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare”?Now Capital Punishment- that is clearly murder of a viable human.

Maybe if people learned more about the Transgender population, they wouldn’t be so afraid of them. I’ve yet to,see where it’s been an issue with Transgender persons sexually assaulting others in bathrooms. That would be some men who do that.

The schools are pretty bad already. Maybe there needs to be more investment in education in Texas.

Last edited by Adaptablegal; 11-21-2017 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Abortion is murder, business owners should be able to sell cakes to whomever they want, and public schools should not be forced to let transgender people into the wrong bathroom.

And all of those are libertarian positions.

Also, if Texas forced that to happen, regarding the transgenders, you would have a lot of parents taking their kids out of public schools and putting them into private schools. Then they will get blamed for why the public schools are so bad, just like the ones who have already decided public schools are not for them.
Well no. Other than the one about the cake, those are not libertarian positions. Those are conservative positions.

Im not getting into abortion, but regarding the cakes and bathrooms people dont think this stuff through.

We have to have a policy where someone can deny services to anyone for any reason or we need to have a policy where no one can deny a service to anyone for any reason. Singling out groups is not the direction this needs to go.

As for bathrooms, what do you think trans gendered people have been doing all these years? Theyve been using the bathrooms of the sex the resemble. Why is this now becoming an issue?

Texas schools are already not great except for some suburban school districts outside the cities. Having trans students doesnt do anything with that.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
Libertarians don’t even support public schools, much less forcing all of them to follow one rule instead of making rules for them self. This is one of the most basic principles of libertarianism.....

Old 11-25-2017, 06:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
you shut your mouth Clayton Williams is the man!

Go Horned Frogs!
I love Claytie too just wish he had more respect for women when he was running.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I am a progressive in every since of the word and I do NOT want Texas to be a blue state, but I sure as hell dont want it to be as far right as it is now on a state government level. What I want from Texas on a governmental level is to be like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, or Florida. A purple state would be ideal with me.
As someone coming here from California, I also prefer to see Texas as a Purple state rather than a solid Red or Blue state in the future. Though I'm more of a libertarian at heart, I tend to tolerate most non-extreme religious views fairly well (with the exception of the Religious Right.)

Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM

76 posts, read 101,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Well no. Other than the one about the cake, those are not libertarian positions. Those are conservative positions.

Im not getting into abortion, but regarding the cakes and bathrooms people dont think this stuff through.

We have to have a policy where someone can deny services to anyone for any reason or we need to have a policy where no one can deny a service to anyone for any reason. Singling out groups is not the direction this needs to go.

As for bathrooms, what do you think trans gendered people have been doing all these years? Theyve been using the bathrooms of the sex the resemble. Why is this now becoming an issue?

Texas schools are already not great except for some suburban school districts outside the cities. Having trans students doesnt do anything with that.
For the transgender bathroom issue, I think it's an issue because now you have people and the gov't telling businesses what THEY MUST DO and pretty much like it. Before, nobody gave a damn. Actually, pressing the issue, I'd argue that it made it worst for transgendered people because now they have a target on their back from people who don't agree with their lifestyle.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:42 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Honestly, I am pretty much a fiscal conservative, social liberal, and have an overall libertarian 'leaning' - I generally prefer fewer laws/regulations on minutia and would rather see high-level regulation. I am in no way a 'true' libertarian nor care to be, but I think both of the 'modern' parties have strayed way too far from our roots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas