Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 02:15 PM

185 posts, read 422,787 times

Advertisements

Well, ex-NYer here in TX, and can tell you its another sad day in NYC with the pathetic mayor reelected. I wouldn't credit the NY Times as the appropriate outlet to judge Texas!

Please don't hate us right and left coasters' - maybe you can consider yourselves(Texans) a sanctuary state for NY and CA conservative refugees!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
that's why we have Dallas @eileen824

Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why Texas Is No Longer Feeling Miraculous
By Robert Parker
Call it the season of Texas’ discontent... Texas’ woes are interconnected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/o...usinesses.html
the article doesn't even mention the million or so illegals aliens that have invaded the state..I have more mexican neighbors living around me than anything.Don't care for the culture at all and they don't care to assimilate.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 4,418 times
I've lived in Texas since 1966 and by culttural diversity ,if you mean illegals as well as legals from Mexico then you're correct..If you enjoy living around more Mexicans than anything else then yes,move to Texas!!It saves you the time from having to cross the Border to get the wonderful third world 'feel' of Mexico..nraly anywhere you move to in Texas,you're outnumbered much by Mexicans..and it stands out quite clearly.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisteel View Post
I've lived in Texas since 1966 and by culttural diversity ,if you mean illegals as well as legals from Mexico then you're correct..If you enjoy living around more Mexicans than anything else then yes,move to Texas!!It saves you the time from having to cross the Border to get the wonderful third world 'feel' of Mexico..nraly anywhere you move to in Texas,you're outnumbered much by Mexicans..and it stands out quite clearly.
I've lived in Texas (East Texas, North Texas, Central Texas, with family in San Antonio and other parts of the state) since 1949, my family has lived in Texas since pre-Republic (the 1830's), and while there are parts of Texas that have a majority Hispanic population (many of them with families who have been here as long as or longer than mine), I have to say that I don't recognize the overall Texas that you are describing at all.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 AM

343 posts, read 306,931 times
Quote:
Whereabouts do you live?

Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
the article doesn't even mention the million or so illegals aliens that have invaded the state..I have more mexican neighbors living around me than anything.Don't care for the culture at all and they don't care to assimilate.
What you don’t care for Mexican culture? You are missing out my friend. I love me some authentic Mexican food and aguas frescas. I think Mexicans are great people and have contributed greatly to this melting pot known as United States of America.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
What you don’t care for Mexican culture? You are missing out my friend. I love me some authentic Mexican food and aguas frescas. I think Mexicans are great people and have contributed greatly to this melting pot known as United States of America.
I'm an old native Texan from West Texas and Big D and agree with you. Texas belongs to all of us and better for it.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaiden666 View Post
We don't mind Californians living here, we just mind them voting.
That's pretty rude. While I may not be a big fan of all the California transplants they have as much right to live here and vote as you and I do. If you feel that way you might be more comfortable in one of those commie hellholes conservatives rant about because they often don't allow freedom of transit like the US does.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:08 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I encounter a lot of "Mexicans" in my daily life, although many are actually from Guatemala and other places. The vast majority are really nice people. Perhaps it helps to actually talk to them, in order to realize that. OTOH, I recognize that many people may see behaviors in other contexts that they (and I) see as bad. As a minor example, I remember a Chinese friend who bought a townhouse in a gentrifying area who had to pick up dirty disposable diapers from his front yard that his Hispanic neighbors tossed there. Not a major deal, but it seemed liked a childish exhibition of resentment, so not very cool.

That said, I don't think that it is productive to paint everyone (of some or another "category") with a broad brush. Yes, there are always a few jerks out there, of all stripes. But, there are also a lot of terrific people, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas