Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The diversity gap between the two is not widening. There is a thread in the city vs city forum right now that proves this. Houston is more diverse but it’s not a runaway.

If you go strictly by the numbers you are absolutely right, the demographics of the two Metros are more or less similar, but the diversity in Houston to me seems more ingrained into the fabric of the area where as the diversity in DFW seems like it may be more transient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
The diversity gap between the two is not widening. There is a thread in the city vs city forum right now that proves this. Houston is more diverse but it’s not a runaway.
If you go by number of nationalities and their presence, it is a runaway. Now, the mainstream popular idea is that Houston is the most diverse city of the USA while DFW is at an average diversity and this is wrong. DFW is more diverse than the average person gives it credit. But Houston is still a runaway leader in ethnic diversity.

Now if you are talking about raw numbers by latino, Asian, White, and black diversity (racial diversity), then yes it’s a lot more even. But if you. Go by ethnic diversity, it is a runaway for Houston.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 PM

People about diversity in this thread are confusing racial diversity and ethnic diversity.

Racial diversity is used as balancing the latino, white, black, Asian, and native population.

Ethnic diversity on the other hand is large presence of large numbers of nationalities in one. In this, yes Houston is far superior to DFW. Not as much as the mainstream person would think. DFW is indeed ethnically diverse. But the fact that Houston is still a lot more speaks on Houston’s diversity as it does beat DFW by a good margin in this category.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:22 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If you go by number of nationalities and their presence, it is a runaway. Now, the mainstream popular idea is that Houston is the most diverse city of the USA while DFW is at an average diversity and this is wrong. DFW is more diverse than the average person gives it credit. But Houston is still a runaway leader in ethnic diversity.

Now if you are talking about raw numbers by latino, Asian, White, and black diversity (racial diversity), then yes it’s a lot more even. But if you. Go by ethnic diversity, it is a runaway for Houston.
I am not seeing that. Dallas and Houston excels at different spots. For instance, Dallas and Houston has about the same number of Africans. However, the majority of Africans in Houston is Nigerian. Dallas has a more diverse African population. Good many from Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc. Dallas also excels at different locations with it's Asian population. I believe DFW has a larger Asian-Indian and Korean population while Houston has a larger Chinese and Vietnamese population. Where Houston has the ultimate hand is the Hispanic population as Houston is a bit more diverse. While both are large and heavily Mexican, Dallas Hispanic population is over 80% Mexican while Houston's is now clocking in under 75% Mexican.

Again, I'm not seeing this runaway whether it be ethnically or racially and Houston is clearly not the most diverse city in the US. Not while NY and LA exists.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:43 PM

295 posts, read 355,760 times
Quote:
I am not seeing that. Dallas and Houston excels at different spots. For instance, Dallas and Houston has about the same number of Africans. However, the majority of Africans in Houston is Nigerian. Dallas has a more diverse African population. Good many from Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, etc. Dallas also excels at different locations with it's Asian population. I believe DFW has a larger Asian-Indian and Korean population while Houston has a larger Chinese and Vietnamese population. Where Houston has the ultimate hand is the Hispanic population as Houston is a bit more diverse. While both are large and heavily Mexican, Dallas Hispanic population is over 80% Mexican while Houston's is now clocking in under 75% Mexican.

Again, I'm not seeing this runaway whether it be ethnically or racially and Houston is clearly not the most diverse city in the US. Not while NY and LA exists.
That’s right. As a Pakistani American - I feel comfortable in Houston; in Dallas one feels isolated.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:17 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:

Very true. I think the biggest difference is there are a million more whites in DFW area then in the Houston area. If you took a million whites from the DFW area your virtually looking at roughly the same demographics in both metros.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:56 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Evidently, you didn't read what I said. You never do, so...

Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Evidently, you didn't read what I said. You never do, so...
You said this:

Quote:
Houston is still gaining more International residents than DFW, which is causing the "gap" to stay the same or to widened in Houston's favor.
Which is where I disagree with. I'm sorry if you did not like it.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Dallas leads Houston in some nationalities, Houston leads DFW in a lot more. And most of the ones where DFW lead Houston, Houston doesn’t trail far behind. Indian specifically, Dallas leads Houston by a hair. Both are roughly over 100K. DFW does lead Houston in Korean population, Houston beats it in chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. Going to South Asia, DFW falls behind in Pakistani while the Indian population is nearly the same. Nor the Iran population. Houston beats it in most middle Easterns as well by a good margin. The Latin American population is more diverse as well. They both have very large Mexican populations, Houston has DFW beat in most Central American countries as well as Venezuela, Colombia, Cuba, Peru.

Just because DFW leads in some nations here and there doesn’t make it even because Houston beats it in a significsnt amount of more nationalities. Raw numbers show this.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
You said this:

Which is where I disagree with. I'm sorry if you did not like it.
He basically stated that DFW leads Houston in a few nationalities but is missin hat Houston leads DFW in a lot more nationalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas