Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 PM

22 posts, read 25,456 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to get some factually based advice/perspective regarding a potential move to College Station (TAMU). I am a professional female, Latina, married to an Asian male, and we have a child who is still in elementary school. We love the cost of living and safety and schools and all of that. What we are concerned about is the fact that we are not White and also not Christian (we are actually pretty conservative, though we define that as refraining from alcohol, gambling, etc.). We don't worry for ourselves (other than the fact my husband currently owns an orange truck) but are curious if our child may be bullied and/or otherwise mistreated for these identities. Now, when I say "bullied" I mean actually physically harmed and/or emotionally harassed in an extreme way. I know that all sorts of people live everywhere--I am talking about mistreatment unlike what we are likely to see in our current environment, where we are never stared at for how we look and are unafraid to share our religious identities with people.

We have lived in many parts of the country (currently in California) but never in Texas. It seems like every time I look at the news, there is another story from Texas about a person of color being killed or severely beaten. Any perspective from people who know the area would be much appreciated!!

Oh, and my "name" is meant to be a joke--I am a Dr. but pretty much the opposite of a Snob (another reason why the supposed friendliness of College Station seems appealing to us)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:28 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Such as... can you please site the links to stories of people being killed or beaten for being "people of color" in Texas every time you look at the news.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:49 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSnob View Post
I am hoping to get some factually based advice/perspective regarding a potential move to College Station (TAMU). I am a professional female, Latina, married to an Asian male, and we have a child who is still in elementary school. We love the cost of living and safety and schools and all of that. What we are concerned about is the fact that we are not White and also not Christian (we are actually pretty conservative, though we define that as refraining from alcohol, gambling, etc.). We don't worry for ourselves (other than the fact my husband currently owns an orange truck) but are curious if our child may be bullied and/or otherwise mistreated for these identities. Now, when I say "bullied" I mean actually physically harmed and/or emotionally harassed in an extreme way. I know that all sorts of people live everywhere--I am talking about mistreatment unlike what we are likely to see in our current environment, where we are never stared at for how we look and are unafraid to share our religious identities with people.

We have lived in many parts of the country (currently in California) but never in Texas. It seems like every time I look at the news, there is another story from Texas about a person of color being killed or severely beaten. Any perspective from people who know the area would be much appreciated!!

Oh, and my "name" is meant to be a joke--I am a Dr. but pretty much the opposite of a Snob (another reason why the supposed friendliness of College Station seems appealing to us)...
Don't believe the hype from the media.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
Such as... can you please site the links to stories of people being killed or beaten for being "people of color" in Texas every time you look at the news.
Yeah? Very strange opening post. Almost like it was designed to fish for a certain reaction.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 AM

76 posts, read 101,812 times
Quote:

The media always do this kind of thing. We have things like that happen here in super blue CT. You probably heard of the "lady" that smeared used tampons on her room mates back pack and other disgusting things. My brothers girlfriend is Brazilian, and she got bullied at school in blue CT. That stopped quick when she stood up for herself and didn't let it affect her. She's now on her way to medical school, is an upstanding citizen, and is one of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL persons, inside and out. Her family is also the most giving and nice people my family has come across. One must remember, the bad things will always make the news. What you never hear are the multitude of good things that happen. Look how people came together for the hurricane in Houston. There were people coming from out of state to help. If people were against minorities, they wouldn't step up to help a city like Houston, which has minorities in it. People came together to send aide to Puerto Rico and volunteer their time to help the citizens there.
Your child may come across some bullying, heck, we all did at some point in school. It's how you teach your child to handle that bullying is what makes a difference most of the time. Teach your children to have moral principles, and teach them to know when to defend themselves when trouble may arise. Teach them to be proud of their background, instead of making it seem that they may run into trouble because of it. Bullies rarely go after people who are confident and stand up for themselves. Ask your child questions about their experience in school too. Good luck in your search ma'am.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I think College Station is fine for yall.I hear there's lots of partying and getting drunk in College Station though.do u define being Christian as not drinking?i am just confused with ur wording....

Old 11-26-2017, 03:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
College Station is in central Texas. There are Hispanics everywhere you look, in all social classes (remember, the Hispanics were here long before the Anglos). College Station is also the home of Texas A&M, a giant university with large engineering and science departments. There will be thousands of Asian students, Asian teaching assistants, and Asian professors, along with their families.

I really don't think you will be exotic in that environment.

Old 11-26-2017, 04:14 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
We have lived in many parts of the country (currently in California) but never in Texas. It seems like every time I look at the news, there is another story from Texas about a person of color being killed or severely beaten.
Who was killed or severely beaten and when?

Old 11-26-2017, 08:03 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Texas is a majority minority state.

Any college town is going to be generally welcoming to minorities

Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,626 times
You're worried that your minority child might have a greater chance of being bullied if you move to a state where minorities are the majority? Do you not realize Texas is a minority majority state?

Worry about the sky falling, the kids do fine.

students from Southwood Valley, College Hills and Creek View in College Station:

College Station ISD HS students:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas