Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murk mags View Post
Not a Texan yet, but racism can manifest anywhere. I'm from blue state CT, and you can find it here too, both whites against others and blacks against others. Point is, there will always be that sort of thing wherever you go. My motto is "treat others the way you want to be treated", and that's how I live my life. I don't care if you're white, black, Asian, blue, or an alien, I'll treat you with respect unless you give me a reason not to.
That's how most people in Texas are, too. For the vast majority of people, It's all about individual behavior and personal choices that each individual chooses rather than race.

People freely choose to behave badly or committ crimes because that's what they choose to do, and they know what they are doing is wrong. They don't break laws or act rude because of their race. Race has nothing to do with being a criminal or rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:33 PM

76 posts, read 101,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That's how most people in Texas are, too. For the vast majority of people, It's all about individual behavior and personal choices that each individual chooses rather than race.

People freely choose to behave badly or committ crimes because that's what they choose to do, and they know what they are doing is wrong. They don't break laws or act rude because of their race. Race has nothing to do with being a criminal or rude.
Spot on! Racism will always exist, and there will always be people who dislike other backgrounds. However, I feel the mass majority of people are decent people, and do not dislike another person just based on their race, background, ect. I feel the media hypes everything up as it draws ratings.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,933 times
I see there are vast opinions on here, but read very little (in the 5 pages) about ETX. Can anyone tell me a good area that has good schools, closer to Shreveport than Tyler?

Old 01-07-2018, 03:05 PM

343 posts, read 306,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTEXAS View Post
I see there are vast opinions on here, but read very little (in the 5 pages) about ETX. Can anyone tell me a good area that has good schools, closer to Shreveport than Tyler?
I went to visit family in Lufkin, TX not too long ago and really liked the town and it's overall vibe. I think it's about 2 hours from Shreveport as it's a little further east than Tyler.

I wasn't there too long so I can't say how the schools are or anything but by what I saw and by what family members say it seems like a good peaceful place to raise a family, I might start planning to move there myself in the near future.

By what I saw there are sizeable Hispanic and black communities and I don't think my family has ever had any major issues while living there.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM

247 posts, read 196,686 times
Is it racist to want to live in and maintain a community with people of the same culture, values, and race? I don't think so.

Texas has diverse areas and not so diverse areas. I would choose to live in a not so diverse area of my liking.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam 2016 View Post
Is it racist to want to live in and maintain a community with people of the same culture, values, and race?
One of these words isn't like the others.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM

247 posts, read 196,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
One of these words isn't like the others.
I can see how someone might think that, but they are far more often than not to all found to be together if one is being honest.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Well, I musta missed that story of the tree hangin ... please give me a link ... I hate missing "news" like that. I'm gonna call BS on your claim above ... ain't been a lynchin' in Texas in a 100 years and the last one in the US was 1955 and this wasn't done by Klansmen.
The name James Byrd ring any bells?

Old 04-12-2018, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The name James Byrd ring any bells?
Tragic story and it made the news because it was so awful, and so unusual - for this area and any area. It happened twenty years ago.

It wasn't a hanging, but you may know that. Personally I think it was worse than hanging (death by dragging) so I'm not trying to minimize the horror of it.

That being said, apparently random hate crimes happen occasionally across the US. Texas doesn't have "more of it's fair share" of this horrible activity - in fact, Texas doesn't make the top ten when it comes to hate crimes per capita according to the latest FBI stats:

Quote:
10 states with highest rate of hate crimes per 100,000 population:

Massachusetts – 5.9
Washington – 5.3
Kentucky – 4.7
Ohio – 4.6
New Mexico – 4.5
Michigan – 4.1
Vermont – 4.0
Arizona – 3.3
New Jersey – 3.2
New York – 3.0
FBI data: Mass. had highest rate of reported hate crimes last year

Here's a good map of hate crimes per capita:
https://www.policymap.com/2017/08/mapping-hate-crime/

Texas has one of the lowest rates in the US.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Wow, what a thread. Nice job defending East Texas Kathryn, but is there not a moderator to keep this on track?

To the OP if you are still even around at this point.... Can recommend Lindale (daughter is there) Gilmer (Son's in-laws country home and soon to be full time retirement home is there) and I have always liked Emory and Rains County. A lot of retirees there, beautiful country, not too far from a trip to DFW if you need big city stuff.

I also like Tyler as a good sized town with most of the stuff you find in the Dallas suburbs that seems to be growing and not declining like some regional towns across the south.

Being a Georgia native in the DFW area, I love East Texas because the topography and vegetation is much more like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas