Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
This is pretty much my take.

I do like the mascot, but I prefer:

- less expensive novelties.
- less expensive food.
- more authentic food (like real BBQ or that Slovacek's place mentioned above). About 30-40% of all small towns in Texas has SOME "local food joint" that is worth a stop.
- "Braums" (in N. Texas) or even a super "Stripes" in South Texas.
- smaller parking lots. MUCH smaller parking lots.
- not being stuck behind 4 Suburbans and a Honda Minivan (& inevitably all but one of them is Dawdling) when I'm pulling into the parking lot...... since I'm trying to snag parking space quickly.....because a kid needs to "really, really GO" in about 22 seconds.
That’s my point. Buc-Ee’s tried to do something between convenience and quality/service. If I want convenience and cheap things I go to that random corner store. Buc-Ee’s isn’t as convenient as it is.

If I want quality products I go to the specific market of that. Buc-Ee’s doesn’t have that that quality of authenticy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 02:24 PM

506 posts, read 509,719 times
To the op; no one is forcing you to change your mind. There are things we like you may not like, and there are things you like we may not like. If you don't like Buc-ee's, we don't care. I like it. A lot of people like it. I like the merchandise, the Buc-ee's food, the cleanliness, and the easy access to the highways. I like the beaver statue in front of each Buc-ee's.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Stopped at the New Braunfel's Buc-ee's this afternoon on the way home from San Antonio. We always stop there to fill up - today regular was $1.93/gallon. Clean, easy to get into and out of bathrooms with completely enclosed stalls that have always, every time I've been there, been clean clean clean no matter how busy the place is. DH picked up a sausage kolache (BIG kolache) to tide him over to home and a giant drink for the two of us. No, there was no place to sit and eat, but that's not what Buc-ee's is about. I have on occasion spent some time just wandering around shopping and have even bought a thing or two that I hadn't found anywhere else, killing time while the rest of my party took advantage of the amenities.

Back on the highway in 10 minutes tops.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Hello fellow Texans. Something Texans love and are proud of is Buc-Ee’s right. Why? If I want to shop in a large market, I go to a large market. If I want gas or convenient snacks, I stop in a gas station that’s actually convenient vs those lines. Come on now

Go ahead Texas and Flood replies with why I’m wrong.
TL;DR summary: here is a post designed to criticize something most people in Texas like, and before you reply, I am bored with your responses.

OP, get a hobby....

Old 12-14-2017, 11:17 PM

437 posts, read 638,546 times
Why can’t people just appreciate for what something is rather than trying to find a reason to hate. Buc-ees has beautiful stores. They’re so nice that people are complaining they’re too nice. Many of you don’t sound like Texan natives and should be ashamed.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:14 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I'm kind of with the OP on this, although I would use the word "hassle" to describe Buc-ee's, not so much "overrated". What they do, they do very well, and I think they have high quality food and excellent service compared to other stops on the Highway. Getting in and out of the stores and the traffic that surrounds them has always been a nightmare at every one I've been to, so if I'm driving, I never stop at one. If someone else is driving and they want to stop there, that's fine. I follow a driver makes the rules philosophy on road trips.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Also worth noting is that they're not franchisees. Every store is corporately owned and managed through their Lake Jackson head office. That's part of the reason for the lack of massive expansion. They're entirely self-funded.

We've had one in Southern Missouri for several years now..... On I-44 a bit north of Joplin.....

Old 12-15-2017, 08:23 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
As long as they do good business and grow, it doesn't matter what people think, including those that "don't get it". They certainly aren't seeking the approval of armchair critics. If you think they're overrated, then stay away from them, stop the whining, and let others who appreciate the stores continue on with what they enjoy.

Thumbs up to Buc-Ees for finding a winning formula that obviously resonates with people.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
We've had one in Southern Missouri for several years now..... On I-44 a bit north of Joplin.....
Negative Ghost Rider.

https://www.buc-ees.com/locations.php

Old 12-15-2017, 09:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
It was mentioned earlier that there are no Buc-ees west of 35. Not for long.
New one is being built west of San Antonio in the Boerne area next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas