Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 AM
bu2

23,872 posts, read 14,658,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I have another question. The local schools here are known by their city and then the name of the school when referenced in sports. Boyd HS here in McKinney is always referred to as McKinney Boyd. In Frisco, you have Frisco Wakeland, Frisco Centennial, Frisco Liberty, etc, etc.

What if a high school is run by a district with one city's name but the high school is actually located within the city limits of another town? For example, Prosper has purchased land in both Frisco city limits and McKinney city limits for their 2nd and third high schools. Signs on the property say future home of Prosper ISD High school. Say they name one Prosper South High School and the other Prosper East High School. Will they be called Frisco Prosper South and McKinney Prosper East since those will be the actual addresses for those schools? Or what if they use a geographical sounding name (Creekwood, Meadowbrook, etc, etc) or named after a person (Jefferson, Madison or some local family).... would they not even have Prosper in their common usage since they technically aren't in Prosper?

The one example I know like this is Lovejoy HS. Since there is no town of Lovejoy, I see it listed as Lucas Lovejoy in some sports write ups.

In the case of the above mentioned Frisco schools, everyone of them is located within the city limits of Frisco. Liberty HS however is the high school for most of the Frisco ISD in Plano and Independence the high school for most of the Frisco ISD students in McKinney. However, since the ISD built within the city of Frisco, there isn't the confusion that I see coming with Prosper ISD.
The "city" name is just whatever people happen to call them. I've seen Lake Highlands referred to as both Richardson Lake Highlands (its Richardson ISD) and Dallas Lake Highlands (its in Dallas city limits and all-or at least almost all-of its attendance zone is in city of Dallas). The Ft. Bend ISD schools may be called by the city or "Ft. Bend." Houston or Ft Bend Willowridge HS, Sugar Land or Ft. Bend Clements HS. Dulles I've seen referred to as Missouri City, Ft. Bend or Sugar Land. It draws from several cities. And it used to often be referred to as Stafford Dulles before Stafford pulled out of the Ft. Bend ISD as it served all of the city of Stafford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,172,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
This is why Highland Park and University Park became so wealthy and esteemed. They were separate from Dallas ISD and therefore didn't have to racially integrate.
Well, no. Highland Park and a bit later University Park were developed from the beginning as high-end towns. When they were developed, they were on the outskirts of town. Believe me, in 1970 long before DISD desegregation, HP and UP were wealthy enclaves.

I'm not saying that DISD desegregation wasn't a major factor in increasing the desirability of the Park Cities in the 1970s and 80s, but to imply that this was the reason they are "wealthy and esteemed" disregards the 60 or 70 years of their history before court-ordered desegregation.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,016,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, no. Highland Park and a bit later University Park were developed from the beginning as high-end towns. When they were developed, they were on the outskirts of town. Believe me, in 1970 long before DISD desegregation, HP and UP were wealthy enclaves.

I'm not saying that DISD desegregation wasn't a major factor in increasing the desirability of the Park Cities in the 1970s and 80s, but to imply that this was the reason they are "wealthy and esteemed" disregards the 60 or 70 years of their history before court-ordered desegregation.
The basis of my statement is the book "Poisoned Dreams". See page 140: https://books.google.com/books?id=Le...page&q&f=false

Quote:
"In the meantime the City of Dallas grew to the north and completely encircled the Park Cities so that Highland Park and University Park had no expansion room. For a long time no one thought the fact that the Park Cities had no more space in which to expand bore much significance; though the townships had their own mayors, police, and fire departments, they were considered by most to be mere extensions of Dallas proper. Then, in 1958, Little Rock Central came along."
and

Quote:
That University Park has the battle over public school integration to thank for its current wealthy status is somewhat sad, but true nonetheless.
(as stated by the book, HP was wealthy from the beginning)

See pages 144 and 145 on the rise of home values: https://books.google.com/books?id=Le...page&q&f=false and https://books.google.com/books?id=Le...page&q&f=false

The book said that the value of a typical home in HP went from 15K in 1950 to 45K by the mid-1960s and was getting higher, and a home bought for 11.5K in 1946 was sold for 265K in 1980.

--

TLDR: While Highland Park was always tony, it wasn't really differentiated why I used ("esteemed") from the surrounding parts of Dallas *until* desegregation. University Park did become *far, far* wealthier as professors sold their homes and old homes were demolished to make way for new ones.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,788,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
Lovejoy High School was built in 2006. Before then 7-12 attended Allen. However, Lovejoy ISD turns 100 this year. The ISD boundaries were drawn 100 years ago and there has been little change. If a neighborhood wants to change from one district to another they need both ISD boards to approve. There is a dispute resolution process with the TEA. A neighborhood in Marble Falls ISD switched to Lake Travis ISD. A McKinney ISD neighborhood petitioned to join Lovejoy a few years ago, but McKinney ISD tabled the vote until Lovejoy voted and Lovejoy voted "no."
I'm interested in the history of the name of Lovejoy.... one of the few districts in this part of Texas that doesn't take the name of a city in its area.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM

6,620 posts, read 9,840,153 times
Here’s the answers to OP’s questions

This was just posted on the Dallas Morning News website

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curi...brings-history

Old 04-23-2018, 12:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,788,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Here’s the answers to OP’s questions

This was just posted on the Dallas Morning News website

https://www.dallasnews.com/life/curi...brings-history
Fascinating article and answered many of the questions I've had in 14 years of living here. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 37,133 times
ISD boundaries rarely change...even if both districts agree. In regard to the "racket" and bond projects, both your tax rate and bonds are decided on by YOUR elected officials and, in the case of bonds, YOU the voter. Voters in Allen, McKinney, Prosper and Katy VOTED to build stadiums. Don't blame the school district...blame everyone who voted for it. If you don't like it, run for the school board.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,018,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I'm interested in the history of the name of Lovejoy.... one of the few districts in this part of Texas that doesn't take the name of a city in its area.
From Wikipedia...

>>>The district was founded on July 2, 1917, forming the Lovejoy Common School District, Number 32, from the consolidation of the Forest Grove and Lick Springs schools; its name is taken from Mrs. J.L. Lovejoy, a local resident who was a strong proponent of educational causes.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:26 AM

707 posts, read 1,838,338 times
This is a good question. We’ve lived in California where the have “Unified” School districts (Like Lompoc Unified School District — it still covers the city)
Then we lived in Colorado...there’s Douglas COUNTY school district, or Littleton Public Schools, or Cherry Creek school district which encompasses various cities — including Aurora, CO, the part not covered by Aurora Public Schools.

It’s very confusing.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,016,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadskier View Post
ISD boundaries rarely change...even if both districts agree. In regard to the "racket" and bond projects, both your tax rate and bonds are decided on by YOUR elected officials and, in the case of bonds, YOU the voter. Voters in Allen, McKinney, Prosper and Katy VOTED to build stadiums. Don't blame the school district...blame everyone who voted for it. If you don't like it, run for the school board.
Politicians and media figures are responsible for how they craft their words and sell their ideas to the public. The Brexit debate (don't go into that too much in this thread, but...) has shown that politicians can say whatever they want even if their ideas don't work. They are at fault for selling snake oil.

But yeah, ISD boundaries don't often change. The only recent Texas instances involve school districts closing and being consolidated - many involuntarily (Mirando City, North Forest, Wilmer-Hutchins, Kendleton, and La Marque) and others rural districts being consolidated (Megargel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas