Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times

Advertisements

Aggie,

Christie is right. I have never seen a cistern here in San Angelo. Not even in the more rural parts. And cedar is present, but not (by far) the worst allergen. Ragweed is pretty bad, but again, probably not as bad as you would be used to.

San Angelo has grown much over the 10 years in respect to the businesses that have come into town. The population continues to grow slowly, but due to the increase of the overall population in the US, I don't think that's unusual. We have (within the last 5-10 years) opened the following businesses here in town (Best Buy, 2 Super Walmarts, Circuit City (which just closed down after being open less than 5 years), Olive Garden, Johnny Carino's (sp?) Academy Sports store, Petco, Ross, Office Depot and Max. There are more smaller things that have opened up.

But just wanted to let you know there is growth, particularly on the SW side of the town. Home prices have gone up dramatically also. In an area called the Bluffs (upper) houses start around $300k (but are markedly larger). In the Bluffs (lower) where I live, I bought my house brand new when they started building this side of town for $83.5k. It's 1600 sqft, 5000sqft of yard, 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage. The house across the street (which is only 100 sqft more) just sold last year for $135k. Not bad prices if you are coming from a major city. Most of the folks moving in are retiring from Calif or Eastern Tx, where their estates are worth upwards of $1M. They buy the houses here for $400-500k and used the rest of their investment from selling to live off and suppliment other retirement incomes/pensions.

If there's anything else I can help with or answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Rath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:42 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
Rath ... Many thanks for the information/insights! That does help give me a clearer picture. Do you see many houses with rainwater collection into cisterns? This is very common east of you over in the Hill Country ... at least it was when I was growing up (50's & 60's). I've lived with rainwater for about 10 years now and quality is exceptional ... naturally de-salted and softened

Another question please: I did have cedar fever in the winter in the Hill Country. Do you get much cedar pollen in San Angelo? My guess is not given the prevailing winds.

We (wife and I) are looking forward to San Angelo visit in later April. Thanks again for your information ... and all other posters.
Unfortunately, most of the cedar pollen blows toward Abilene. Thanks, San Angelo!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:37 AM

4 posts, read 10,697 times
Aggie...My husband and I retired in San Angelo 4 years ago--we chose it because our daughter went to ASU and we really liked the city for a number of reasons and coming from Houston it looked liked heaven! There are good and bad things about every city. I would recommend that you read the local paper online- go san angelo- and search the articles about the water issues. Yes I do know of a residential house in Bentwood CC that has gutters filling cisterns, so I am sure that it is allowed. Neighborhoods or city regulations may dictate size and concealment, etc, but as far as I know there is no prohibition on rain water collection. We don't have much cedar, but we do have an abundance of mesquite--my favorite tree. San Angelo has a lot of big city ideas and amenities with small town charm, but like I said, there are pros and cons to every city. Good luck on your decision!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:50 PM

169 posts, read 592,576 times
Living here since 05 and all I can say is... don't drink the city water, lol.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 AM

38 posts, read 95,909 times
Aggie, let's keep in touch, my wife and I are working like dogs getting our Kansas City Missouri home ready to sell, so we can move to San Angelo, (we think,we will move there,) we winter in South Padre in our 5th wheel, and love Texas, but want lower humidity than Padre, or K.C. to live in.
We will sell our home, drive the 5th wheel down, and search for a home, or 1-2 acres and look into a manufactured home for it.
All the research we have done leads us to San Angelo.
There was another thread just started we will monitor closely about the city and area.
Sparky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas