Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times

Advertisements

Even though I was born and lived in Texas until I was 25, I moved away for 12 years. When I moved back to Texas from Ohio, there were a few things I missed:

Greek food
Autumn foliage
Cool Summers

What have some of you new to Texas missed the most upon moving here?

(By the way, I will add that the positives in Texas more than made up for the negatives in Ohio--I sure don't miss state and city income taxes, for example.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:10 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,446 times
Hi James! Just wanted to tell you that we drove up from Midland to go to the zoo in Abilene today and it was very nice (long drive though)

The only thing that I found a little annoying when I moved here was that you cannot get your driver's license on the same day/time that you apply for it. They have to send it to you in the mail from Austin. I have lived in SD, VA and FL and both issue you the driver's license on the spot.

I do miss the mountains and the forest sometimes but then again to see those you just have to travel to a different part of Texas!! The size of the State sometimes just astounds me!

Pam

Old 03-23-2008, 11:42 PM

11 posts, read 39,040 times
Recently moved to north central TX from Jackson, WY with my native Texan husband.
Greatly miss: Daily wildlife viewing without the "benefit" (ugh) of high game fences;
clean roadways (aren't the county inmates allowed to work for their keep?); drivers that respect those funny yellow highway lines and know what they mean; riding across new country without fences on a good horse; the proverbial clean mountain air and water, changing seasons and less people are a given. I do love the down to earth, friendly people in small town Texas though-they're great!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 AM

134 posts, read 326,225 times
Although I haven't moved back to Texas just yet, I grew up there and know what I am going to miss the most. I will miss being able to walk to places in my neighborhood; I will miss relaxing at the local cafe at a sidewalk table; I will miss Irish pubs that play real Irish music.

Growing up in the burbs in Texas, I know that Texas really lacks neighborhoods that are pedestrian friendly. That is something I have loved in living on the East and West Coasts. It's also something I will really miss when moving back to Texas.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
TWB

21 posts, read 85,302 times
We love the weather--low humidity and now mosquitoes. However, we do miss the inability to grow azaleas, dogwoods, or anything else that needs acidic soils.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
I haven't moved back home to Texas yet, but there isn't a single thing I will miss about this place, when I finally get home.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM

138 posts, read 451,504 times
Nancy- Oh how you hit the nail on the head!! I miss what you said (I live in Cody, WY area in the summers.) When I am here (San Antonio), I miss 'clean'- clean streets, yards, highways. I miss nice, curteous drivers. Here it is killed or be killed, it seems. Up notrh, when you come to a stop sign, each driver waves the other to go ahead- here they are dang rude. A big 'dang'! I miss tree colors alot. I miss the beautiful Northern Rockies- probably the most beautiful area in the west!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
I missed living in a mosquito free enviroment.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Texas

PRO'S
*Great Mexican Food
*Luv'ly people here
*Close to the coast
*Lot's of stores for shopping
*Homes for the most part are cheaper per SQ FT
*Depending where, it stays mostly green. Lot's of grass and trees
*Great fishing w/ lot's of lakes / rivers.

CON's
*You only get two-seasons (hot to cold/vise-versa)
*Home owner property taxes kills ya
*Takes forever to get out of Texas when traveling on the road / and its a boring ***** drive
*People while in there vehicles drive like idiots!
*People seem to be very law suit happy. Don't even think about bumping a car in front of you a .5mph, they'll more then likely want to put a law suit on your butt!
*No snow (at least here in Austin)
*No 4-seasons
*Deer hunting is weak; now hog hunting is a different story

Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Having a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas