Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 69,795 times

Advertisements

[quote=Darlynn0217;3343931]So, September being your Spring, I would be looking to April for planting... (Gotta find some Paws!!)
WOW! As the world turns....What time is it there, when it's 12 Noon here?

GROUSE = Aussie slang for "cool", or great.

Kangaroo Paws = Anigozanthus (scientific name)
I think you can grow them anytime between NOW and end of fall (in the U.S.)

Try this link:
Kangaroo Paw Family - Selected Species and Cultivars

Another Aussie flora is Paper Daisies, or strawflower. Google that.

TIME ZONE:
We are still on Daylight Saving Time and will change our time back to Standard Time this Sunday 2am. But before this:

5AM US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 21:00 HRS MELBOURNE SUMMER TIME (same day)

After this SUNDAY:

5AM US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 22:00 HRS MELBOURNE STANDARD TIME

12 NOON US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 5:00 HRS MELBOURNE STD TIME (THE NEXT DAY!)

"Show Me State" is Central Time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 PM

Default White Bonnets

Looks like white bonnets. There is also a new breed, maroon bonnets. I bought a whole lot of seeds from TX in Feb 08, but they still haven't arrived. There is a wild goose chase with the US Postal Service, and Australia Post, to track them down! I had maroon bonnets, and Indian Paintbrush among my purchase!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It depends on the area. The drought has definitely made a difference in this area. There are parts of town that traditionally have a bumper crop of bluebonnets that now have almost no flowers.

I've heard that there are almost none along I-35 between here and Laredo due to the drought conditions. When I was driving to and from Galveston a couple of weeks ago, where it has been wetter in recent months, I saw many patches of bluebonnets.

Here's a pic of a lone bluebonnet plant taken in Wichita Falls, TX, on 24/4/03. This is very late for bluebonnets!
Attached Thumbnails
BlueBonnets of Texas ....-dscn0017.jpg  

Old 04-04-2008, 03:41 AM

52,678 posts, read 47,928,690 times
These Metroplex thunderstorms and rain should be helping (at least, around here).

Old 06-03-2008, 01:54 PM

870 posts, read 3,080,878 times
[quote=Heath2008;3347012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
So, September being your Spring, I would be looking to April for planting... (Gotta find some Paws!!)
WOW! As the world turns....What time is it there, when it's 12 Noon here?

GROUSE = Aussie slang for "cool", or great.

Kangaroo Paws = Anigozanthus (scientific name)
I think you can grow them anytime between NOW and end of fall (in the U.S.)

Try this link:
Kangaroo Paw Family - Selected Species and Cultivars

Another Aussie flora is Paper Daisies, or strawflower. Google that.

TIME ZONE:
We are still on Daylight Saving Time and will change our time back to Standard Time this Sunday 2am. But before this:

5AM US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 21:00 HRS MELBOURNE SUMMER TIME (same day)

After this SUNDAY:

5AM US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 22:00 HRS MELBOURNE STANDARD TIME

12 NOON US CENTRAL DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME = 5:00 HRS MELBOURNE STD TIME (THE NEXT DAY!)

"Show Me State" is Central Time.
I just found "Paws", in pink! I am sooooo happy!

A couple of my seeds came up from last years bluebonnet plant, but they got shredded by a hail storm! I did find some seeds tho, and will plant them in the fall. My purple coneflowers, orange Butterfly weed and Queen's Anne Lace are beautimous this year! Ain't that grouse!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 19,153 times
Hi all, we recently had exchange students over from Texas and they gave us Bluebonnet seeds which we are now growing in Queenslands summer and they are doing really well

Old 01-02-2009, 03:40 PM

BlueBonnets of Texas ....-2008_0906pics0001.jpg

Here is a picture of Bluebonnets in Queensland Australia

Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Default Texas Bluebonnets in Australia

GREAT to know the Texas bluebonnets are also growing in Queensland, as well as elsewhere in Australia. Seedlings have started appearing everywhere, from last year's seed pods that ripened and burst open.

It is strange but these bluebonnets are following the calendar months for their growing season - they are in the early to mid stages of growth in TX. This is similar to what is happening in Down Under. I grew some in early autumn (as you would if you were living in Texas) last year. They germinated, grew over winter, and then seemed to stop growing when Spring arrived - stunted plants that eventually died off!

Google for Inidan Paintbrush (State Flower of Oklahoma). In Texas, they grow together in the wild!

God Bless The Lone Star State! Yeeeeee haw.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 PM

Does anyone have any Texas Bluebonnet seeds for sale in Australia ?

My email address is aussiecom_au@hotmail.com

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas