Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 05:18 AM

764 posts, read 94,570 times

Advertisements

My wife passed, still not thinking straight. No kids. I grew up in West Texas, left to join the military. I live on East Coast, but need a part-time escape to a place with good memories for the colder parts of the year, as I’m now retired. I don’t want to commit to a mortgage just yet. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:55 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,826,047 times
First, sorry about your wife, my friend. That kind of loss takes time to heal. I would plead with you to make no long-term commitments at this time - give it at least a year.

Look into doing some camping for a while - most KOA Kampgrounds have cabins you can rent reasonably - as do many other campgrounds. Or consider some of the extended-stay motels. Don't know what part of West Texas you hail from, but take a trip......see if it's what you remember, then you can go from there.

Thank you for your service - if you decide to swing down to the New Braunfels, TX area, drop me a line. This fellow vet would love to buy you a drink of your choice, and show you around!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,994,855 times
So sorry for the lose, that can be very tough and will take time to find your 'new-place' as well as your 'new person' (self). We volunteer with Hospice and do rural elder care (and I had care of my dad (a vet) for 32 yrs)... nothing is easy about the loss of a dear and pleasant 'soul-mate' (I give thanks for mine many times / day).

options: (low cost to higher)
  1. House sitting (A recently widowed friend did this for a few yrs in desirable places) - there are ads and sign-ups online and through community connections.
  2. Volunteer opportunities including travel / housing / food do light tasks for schools, orphanages, hospitals, camps, parks... similar to Peace Corp (Canadian version is better for older adults) https://cusointernational.org/home/t...lunteers/faqs/
  3. Guest qtr / spare cabin / MIL house on a ranch / rural prop (Sometimes you can help out around the farm (if desired).) I do this cuz I am a farm kid that likes to learn, 'create' / fix things (and be busy).
  4. Short term (3-6 month) rental at an off-season camp (Staff cabin). I did this in BC (Canada) on an island. beautiful place & situation to THINK (and fish, and boat...) $300 / month + ALL equipment was available for my access (Sailboats, power boats, canoes, kayaks, tractor...) only one other person on that side of island (= VERY quiet)
  5. Guest qtr / spare apt / MIL house in city / suburbia in a desirable location for you / things to do / right climate / right timing
  6. Low cost RV $3000 - $30000 for a used Class B (campervan) or used Travel trailer, or Class C Motorhome. Roadtrek is a great vehicle for solo travelers (I use a Rialta) Winnebago Rialta Motor Home Quite a 'club' / following / friendly and helpful users group for each)
  7. private Guest homes I have used these for 30 yrs... $Free (Servas.org) to $20 / night WW, very nice hosts, very safe and educational https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange (I have never used couchsurfing, I try to find farm homes)
  8. Travel... Many choices... I usually 'fly / drive' and use SWA in USA (Free cancellations / changes / baggage...)
  9. PT job... preferably one that pays you to do what you like to do! (or are good at)

MY TX solution is a bit more complicated, but pays well... (adds to income)

I bought CHEAP rural view properties that have extra cabin and RV hookups (for me and friends to use)
Rent out the main house, stay (for free) in the cabin.
I fly back and forth and keep a cheap car on each end. (expenses deductible from income, as allowed by IRS)

Eventually I will sell the TX places and build a rural 'senior-cottage-community' / age in place. (Ideal Location not known, yet...)

Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
Geeez, that should cover it all, no wonder you have so many reps, thanks from ALL of us, lol

Old 02-11-2018, 01:41 AM

738 posts, read 763,998 times
Not sure if you specifically wanted West Texas but the houses for rent in the coastal towns rent out for apartment level monthly rates over the winter and are fully furnished.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 AM

33,308 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Geeez, that should cover it all, no wonder you have so many reps, thanks from ALL of us, lol
When (pre clicking on it) I saw the thread title (remembering that StealthRabbit has a place here that is a part time locale for him), my first thought was....hopefully StealthRabbit will weigh in with his opinion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: