Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 18,610 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I will be taking a road trip in about a month and we will be going through Texas. We are going to check out a few places to live. I own a business and I work from home. It is doing pretty decent so I am looking to buy a house in a year or two after living somewhere.

I love to paddleboard and be near a beach/water and Granbury seems pretty nice from the research I have done. A short drive to a downtown and a short drive to a lake seems great. I have a few questions. I am also open to any and all other advice.

1. How is the lake? Would it be nice for paddleboarding?
2. Does anyone there ride bicycles? I would love to be able to ride my bike into town or to the lake. Is it safe enough to bike on the streets?
3. Is it safe? Are there any really nice areas to live? Any areas I shouldn't live?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks,

-Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 07:40 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Granbury is a nice location. Small, personable, a weekend getaway for many from the big cities of Dallas/FW to the north. There's also a community there for retirees but its also close enough to have some big city conveniences too - about 25 to 30 miles south of Fort Worth. As long as the rainfall is decent in Texas to fill the lake, Granbury looks great. I can't recall if there is sufficient sidewalk or street width to bike ride around the lake. I am sure paddle boarding is fine. Granbury lake is one of the smaller lakes in metro DFW so during warm weather, lake traffic could be real busy. You also might want to check out Cleburne which is not far away. I don't know if there is decent healthcare in Granbury but then that's why you go to Fort Worth.

If you want lake time that might be less hectic, north Texas has plenty of options - Lake Ray Roberts north of Denton which is 30 miles north of Dallas is large and has very little commercial development. From there, you could live in north Denton or Sherman which is northeast of Denton. That would also give you an easy drive to Lake Roberts or Lake Texoma. Lake Lewisville which is closer to Dallas is also a good spot for paddle boarding (more so the northern half.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian333 View Post
Hey,

I will be taking a road trip in about a month and we will be going through Texas. We are going to check out a few places to live. I own a business and I work from home. It is doing pretty decent so I am looking to buy a house in a year or two after living somewhere.

I love to paddleboard and be near a beach/water and Granbury seems pretty nice from the research I have done. A short drive to a downtown and a short drive to a lake seems great. I have a few questions. I am also open to any and all other advice.

1. How is the lake? Would it be nice for paddleboarding?
2. Does anyone there ride bicycles? I would love to be able to ride my bike into town or to the lake. Is it safe enough to bike on the streets?
3. Is it safe? Are there any really nice areas to live? Any areas I shouldn't live?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks,

-Brian
what is your budget?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 AM

16 posts, read 18,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
what is your budget?
Under $200k would be nice. Really not looking for anything large. 1,000 square feet is plenty.

I was looking in the area in the image and there seems to be decent houses for under $200k.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...73_rect/13_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...79_rect/14_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/14_zm/
Attached Thumbnails
Advice About Moving to Granbury-screen-shot-2018-03-06-11.09.34  

Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
My question is always what about a job--if you are working from home might check Internet access/speeds--some areas likely better supported than others--
And my next question is what about schools
Granbury is not top tier school district

There is historical downtown and I wouldn't recommend riding a bike in that area
No bike lanes as I remember from last time there
Lot of truck traffic and SVUs--this is farm/ranch land and not very conducive to bike riding culture IMO although on weekends there are bike clubs that take long rides through the country around there---
Has some variation in terrain vs being essentially flat so not too boring

The lake is really a river with some dams to enlarge the water flow so there is more current than on a true lake like Grapevine or Lewisville

Old 03-07-2018, 07:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Check out Grapevine---
You might find it is more what you are looking for except the house price

Denton is two-university town--more bike riding culture
But not close water source for paddle boarding unless you were willing to drive outside the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas