U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,535,627 times

Advertisements

Funny to see people whine about summer heat. First off, you've got mornings and evenings, as well as the other 6-9 months of the year when conditions are cooler. Second, there are plenty of suitable outdoor activities designed for summer's heat (water-based recreation) as well as appropriate ways to dress for them.

People who bring up heat as an excuse are just closeted couch potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:46 PM

1,858 posts, read 1,102,249 times
If you're moving to far north Texas you can also take advantage of the outdoor recreation opportunities in Oklahoma.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM

567 posts, read 459,482 times
We have the Texas State Parks Pass, unlimited entry to all state parks for an entire year....at $85 its a great bargain. We probably go to state parks 40 weekends a year......they tend to be well kept and clean....in the hot months we go early to avoid the heat.....if there are bugs we use spray....its relatively easy to get outdoors and enjoy.....its about attitude and whether you are looking for reasons to go, or looking for reasons to stay indoors.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:33 PM

602 posts, read 1,198,649 times
The things I like about western states is that there is lots of public land. One mentioned Colorado as an example with four times as much public land as Texas in a substantially smaller area. Therefore, it would appear to me that Colorado is a better state to live in than Texas. Therefore, why do people continue to live in, or more to, Texas, when other states offer more variety in what you can do, and greater freedom to do it?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Therefore, why do people continue to live in, or more to, Texas, when other states offer more variety in what you can do, and greater freedom to do it?
Because there's much more to life than outdoor recreation?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 PM

567 posts, read 459,482 times
So there are over two million acres of public land in Texas.........how many do you actually require.....?

This is sounding very trolly.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,852,807 times
There are some ok state parks in Texas and some National Forests/ Grasslands. Personally I like the National Forests better, you can camp anywhere in them, and they don't have bans on drinking a beer or two around your camp fire. I'm actually going down to Crockett this weekend.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,852,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
So there are over two million acres of public land in Texas.........how many do you actually require.....?

2 million acres is nothing spread over a State the size of Texas. Most National Forests out west are over 1 million and many are over 2.

I mean yeah, Big Bend is fairly decent sized, but the Ozarks are much closer to where I live in Dallas.

Most of the public land in Texas is spread out and in super small pocket areas. I mean you can drive the longest corner to corner length of Crockett in under an hour and it is among the largest tracts of public land in the state.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:21 AM

602 posts, read 1,198,649 times
Quote:
We have the Texas State Parks Pass, unlimited entry to all state parks for an entire year....at $85 its a great bargain. We probably go to state parks 40 weekends a year......they tend to be well kept and clean....in the hot months we go early to avoid the heat.....if there are bugs we use spray....its relatively easy to get outdoors and enjoy.....its about attitude and whether you are looking for reasons to go, or looking for reasons to stay indoors.
How could you say that $85 is a great bargain? In Washington, the state where I now live, you can get a Discover Pass for $30 which can be used on two vehicles and covers access to over 100 state parks and other state lands for a full year. Washington has more state parks than Texas, which is a considerably larger state in area, and access to the parks in Washington is far less expensive than access to state parks in Texas.

It appears to me that Washington manages its public lands far better than Texas does with its lands.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or