U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,539,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
No absolutely not. Austin is generally considered the best for outdoors activities but it's awful compared to the western or eastern states. The places to hike are either way outside of town, very flat and small, or full of homeless encampments. There are of course no beaches, only dirty lakes. Look at a map of public land. Texas has less than any other state
Austin is within 30 minutes reach of St. Edwards Park and Zilker. Is that not close access?

But don't worry, there are enough cities elsewhere in the state to compensate for the areas that Austin falls short.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-16-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 05:50 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,815,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
People who bring up heat as an excuse are just closeted couch potatoes.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
The things I like about western states is that there is lots of public land. One mentioned Colorado as an example with four times as much public land as Texas in a substantially smaller area. Therefore, it would appear to me that Colorado is a better state to live in than Texas. Therefore, why do people continue to live in, or more to, Texas, when other states offer more variety in what you can do, and greater freedom to do it?
I suppose it's all about what you're looking for, isn't it? Some people are looking for a place where they can afford to live and earn a decent living and still have access to outdoor recreational areas. If you have the means to be able to choose a place to live because of the scenic views, public lands to do whatever you please on and no worries about income or expenses, then yep, go for it. Hope this gives some insight to your question.

Quote:
How could you say that $85 is a great bargain? In Washington, the state where I now live, you can get a Discover Pass for $30 which can be used on two vehicles and covers access to over 100 state parks and other state lands for a full year. Washington has more state parks than Texas, which is a considerably larger state in area, and access to the parks in Washington is far less expensive than access to state parks in Texas.

It appears to me that Washington manages its public lands far better than Texas does with its lands.
I see no problem here. Washington State is the place you are and the place you need to be and I daresay you don't need to be worrying about how Texas manages it's lands. I'm a born and raised Texan and proud of it and not a big proponent of public lands myself, but that's just me. I am not going to criticize another state that I don't even live in for how they conduct their affairs. It's none of my business.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,539,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Not necessarily.
More often than not, that is the case.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 PM

20,974 posts, read 5,314,956 times
I would rather have a deer lease than hunt on public land but thats just me.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 PM

4,642 posts, read 4,721,221 times
Quote:
What would be the difference between an "REI" outdoorsy state and a "Bass Pro Shop" outdoorsy type state, other than the fact the Bass Pro Shop enthusiasts are more likely to fish than REI enthusiasts, since REI doesn't sell fishing equipment.
Bass Pro Shop= hunting, fishing, bird watching, tubing/kayaking, casual camping by a river or lake, boating.

REI= Back packing, rock climbing, downhill mtn biking, hiking, snow boarding.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,419 posts, read 43,167,590 times
I find TX very restrictive to my outdoor interests (Have lived in CO, NE, WY, OR, WA, MT, ID) ALL of which I was moments (or next door) to vast open PUBLIC spaces.

TX you will need to know someone... or drive A LOT!!!!

We have 2,000 to 3,000 acre ranches next door, (in TX), but... nothing like the freedom in CO, WA, WY, MT, OR, ID of having a National Park / National Forest, National Grasslands on the other side of your fence... I.e. you walk or ride your horse for DAYS of freedom and NO contact with people. No need for a horse trailer!, just RIDE! Same with ATV / MC... just RIDE from home, In TX you must first FIND accessible places to go, then get there, then fight the others who are seeking the same.

Pretty sad. (IMHO)

Your Mtn Climbing experiences will be a LONG drive (NM...)

At my WA home, I just walk out the backdoor and across my property (which adjoins National Forest property) Poof, GONE. (into paradise)

Fishing, hunting, hiking... 5 minutes (walk)
income tax free living and employment +
Hi Tech / medical / law / manufacturing / international trade / international airport / Financial services employment, + sales tax free shopping (of all kinds... Costco, Target...high end, low end.. 16 min drive (one stoplight).

and... FREE FT college instead of wasting time in High School... (WA and HI)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-16-2018 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 AM

5,231 posts, read 2,924,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think it depends on the type of outdoor activities you are into,OP.It suits me just fine.I prefer private land over public but thats just me.
Tennis is my primary sport/outdoor activity of choice and the Texas weather is tennis conducive for the most part. I'm in Dallas, and I play more tennis in summers here than I did when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona.

Quote:
Because there's much more to life than outdoor recreation?
Yes, there is! Texas is a really good to earn a living. Lots of Fortune 500 corporate HQs here, which permeates through a local economy, even if a person isn't working at a Fortune 500. I was more than happy to give up hiking in Phoenix for the better economy in Dallas. For a city of its size, Phoenix was underwhelming on job options and the quality of corporate HQs in the region.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:52 PM

20,974 posts, read 5,314,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Tennis is my primary sport/outdoor activity of choice and the Texas weather is tennis conducive for the most part. I'm in Dallas, and I play more tennis in summers here than I did when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona.

Yes, there is! Texas is a really good to earn a living. Lots of Fortune 500 corporate HQs here, which permeates through a local economy, even if a person isn't working at a Fortune 500. I was more than happy to give up hiking in Phoenix for the better economy in Dallas. For a city of its size, Phoenix was underwhelming on job options and the quality of corporate HQs in the region.
okay thats kool that it works for you in Texas.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,512,309 times
I'm an outdoors guy and grew up that way ... spent close to 60 years doing outdoors things.

But "outdoors" means many different things to the different people. I fish A LOT. Texas has some of the best and a great variety to boot. Texas is a national destination for some of the nation's best freshwater fishing opportunities. Out frikken standing saltwater fishing too.

I am also an avid hog hunter using long guns, pistols, bow/arrow, spear, and long knife. I even use those awful and murderous assault rifles that I read have only one purpose.

Here's some outdoors action available only in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89UliEiQQyU

Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,815,016 times
Quote:
More often than not, that is the case.
I won't argue with you, I can only speak for myself, not for you or anyone else. Also, a lot depends on when, where and with what you are doing something, so it's really impossible to put a black or white spin on it with one broad stroke. Maybe an easy to follow example such as the difference in camping out in a pup tent vs an A/C motor home/RV might help put it in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or