U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM

3,598 posts, read 1,862,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would rather have a deer lease than hunt on public land but thats just me.
Why? Have you ever hunted public land?

I mean if you do have public land you can choose to hunt on private land (and most of the time you don't need a lease, you just knock on the door and ask if it's ok, or you know someone who lets you for free)

I mean yeah it would suck to hunt on public land here in Texas because it will be crowded because there isn't enough of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 03:24 PM

So I just got back from 2 1/2 days down in Davy Crockett National Forest and had a great time.

I've always loved National forests, less touristy than National Parks and all that, and generally pretty libertarian in what they allow. It's great to be able to see a star filled sky which you can't in a light poluted area. For what it is DCNF is awesome.

It looks like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@31.5669...!7i8704!8i4352

That said I think it's a bummer than I have to drive 3 hours to get to a place like that. If I lived in Denver, SLC, Seattle, pretty much anywhere in California, Nevada, or Arizona you would be much closer than 3 hours to a comparable area, and within 3 hours of SPECTACULAR areas.

In Boise where I grew up you could be at quality downhill or nordic skiing in about an hour. 3 hours gets you deep into some of the most isolated and beautiful mountains in the lower 48. Not just seeing the stars, but having the kind of quality viewing that you don't find in Texas outside of far west Texas. Places like this :

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1071...7i12288!8i4060

Trailheads to places like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1464...!7i8704!8i4352

Believe me, people hunt Elk in the National forests up there, and boat on the larger lakes. The fishing doesn't lack at all either and you can fish for Salmon which you can't here. I grew up camping on the salmon river with my dad and fishing for Steelhead. Per capita people are WAY more outdoosey and it isn't just the hike in parks people, it's sportsmen.

"Ok, well Boise is a smaller city, so for a larger city Dallas is fine, I mean at least it is average"

Ok well, Phoenix is about 3 hours from the Grand Canyon and is bordered by national forest.

LA has the ocean, and borders up against Angels National forest. Even with LA Traffic you aren't 3 hours away from National forest.

Vegas has both the Grand Canyon and Red Rock in addition to the vast majority of the state being public land.

Portland and Seattle are well known for near by parks.

San Francisco. Check.

St Louis is an hour and a half from Mark Twain.

Even mid western cities don't fare so bad.

Chicago has the Indiana dunes and Michigan.

Indianapolis has national forest an hour and a half away.

Basically, Every major city in the US has more public land available within 3 hours of the city than the Texas cities, and quite honestly basically all the small towns as well.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM

21,006 posts, read 5,331,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Why? Have you ever hunted public land?

I mean if you do have public land you can choose to hunt on private land (and most of the time you don't need a lease, you just knock on the door and ask if it's ok, or you know someone who lets you for free)

I mean yeah it would suck to hunt on public land here in Texas because it will be crowded because there isn't enough of it.
Well i have hunted only in Texas.I have heard horror stories online about people almost getting shot on public land.I know that can happen on private land too.I dont think i live close enough to hunt Texas public land and it would be crowded like you said so its a safety issue.....i just feel safer on private land because i hunt in a deer blind and use a deer feeder.I killed all my deer off of leases and i would like to buy my own land at some point.I hunt for white-tail and i dont think New Mexico has them.Ive heard stories about people shooting at tree stumps thinking they were deer in NM and you dont know where other hunters are on public landThanks.....Texas is my favorite huntinhg state cuz they allow deer feeders.

Last edited by C24L; 03-18-2018 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Well i have hunted only in Texas.I have heard horror stories online about people almost getting shot on public land.I know that can happen on private land too.I dont think i live close enough to hunt Texas public land and it would be crowded like you said so its a safety issue.....i just feel safer on private land because i hunt in a deer blind and use a deer feeder.I killed all my deer off of leases and i would like to buy my own land at some point.I hunt for white-tail and i dont think New Mexico has them.Ive heard stories about people shooting at tree stumps thinking they were deer in NM and you dont know where other hunters are on public landThanks.....Texas is my favorite huntinhg state cuz they allow deer feeders.
I guess people like what they are used to, but my coworker spends like $1200 per gun on his deer lease which seems crazy to me even though everyone else at work agrees he has a great deal. I know you can get them for as low as 500, but still...

That just seems like a prohibitively high amount of money to hunt deer. I think there should be land open for all to use, as part of our heritage of being Americans and something that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can find White Tail in pretty much every lower 48 state, my uncle hunts them in Iowa, and boy do they get fat. According to the maps, only NV, CA, and UT don't have any white tail of the lower 48.

Hunting accidents do happen of course, but if you follow the rules and wear orange it's unlikely you will be mistaken for an Elk or Deer. Honestly, out west there is alot of room on public land.

I personally think using deer feeders is unsporting so I guess I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that being a positive, but I can see how if you are spending alot of money on a lease, you really want to harvest an animal and that would seem attractive.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I guess people like what they are used to, but my coworker spends like $1200 per gun on his deer lease which seems crazy to me even though everyone else at work agrees he has a great deal. I know you can get them for as low as 500, but still...

That just seems like a prohibitively high amount of money to hunt deer. I think there should be land open for all to use, as part of our heritage of being Americans and something that shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can find White Tail in pretty much every lower 48 state, my uncle hunts them in Iowa, and boy do they get fat. According to the maps, only NV, CA, and UT don't have any white tail of the lower 48.

Hunting accidents do happen of course, but if you follow the rules and wear orange it's unlikely you will be mistaken for an Elk or Deer. Honestly, out west there is alot of room on public land.

I personally think using deer feeders is unsporting so I guess I'm going to have to respectfully disagree on that being a positive, but I can see how if you are spending alot of money on a lease, you really want to harvest an animal and that would seem attractive.
Okay thanks.I can see your point.Public land is too crowded for me.I dont really want to travel far for white tail when i can kill them close to where i live.Wow,white tail are in more of the country than i thought.I respect your opinion about deer feeders even though we disagree....

Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Okay thanks.I can see your point.Public land is too crowded for me.I dont really want to travel far for white tail when i can kill them close to where i live.Wow,white tail are in more of the country than i thought.I respect your opinion about deer feeders even though we disagree....
I can see your point as well. That is my personal opinion on feeder and since they are legal here, go for it!

I can also see how public land is too crowded for you here, thats kind of how I feel about the state parks for just camping. There is only 0.1 Acres Per Person to Hunt (in public land) in the state which isn't alot.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...-hunting-land/

I've never had crowding issues in places with more public land, either for camping, fishing or hunting, a particular popular spot might become crowded, but you can always find another one in my experience.

I'm not sure what the solution would be though, I suppose it would be great if some wealthy land owners could get together and donate some large tracts of land, but that would be up to them. I fear we mostly missed the boat though.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM

7,817 posts, read 3,694,602 times
There is a lot of historical background why there is not much Federal public land in Texas, and none of it has to do with hunting or outdoor recreation. Those of you who are critical of the situation should read up on why it's that way.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM

15,002 posts, read 27,310,484 times
Big Bend is far enough from the population center of Texas that you might as well go to Colorado.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I can see your point as well. That is my personal opinion on feeder and since they are legal here, go for it!

I can also see how public land is too crowded for you here, thats kind of how I feel about the state parks for just camping. There is only 0.1 Acres Per Person to Hunt (in public land) in the state which isn't alot.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...-hunting-land/

I've never had crowding issues in places with more public land, either for camping, fishing or hunting, a particular popular spot might become crowded, but you can always find another one in my experience.

I'm not sure what the solution would be though, I suppose it would be great if some wealthy land owners could get together and donate some large tracts of land, but that would be up to them. I fear we mostly missed the boat though.
Thanks.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,513,955 times
Quote:

There are 17 subspecies of white tail deer. These subspecies run the gamut from the 50 lb key deer of the Everglades to the northern areas of their range plus the Corn Belt where individuals can weigh close to 400lbs. Bergmann’s Rule also is responsible for the size of northern white tails. The world record (B&C) rack came from middle Saskatchewan (near Biggar) replacing a near century long buck from Minnesota. Texas has the most B&C qualifiers. South Texas leases can cost up to $25K year and the golden triangle of Webb, Dimmit, and McMullen counties included in the most desirable counties. These smaller bodied deer grow giant racks due in a large part to mineral content in the soil.

As far as lease vs public hunting each has their own benefits. Most leases have rules which prevents Joe Blow from screwing up one's hunt (happened frequently to me on public land), but you'll pay for that privilege. Also the days of going up to a "farmer" and asking for permission to hunt and receiving it if not gone are becoming scarce as hen's teeth. Also, while there is lots of acreage to hunt of use in the western US it is much more scarce in the east. I've hunted Maine and Tenn in the East but only Colo (hard to get away from the crowds) out west. I've hunted private land mostly in Texas but also purchase a yearly lease for other activities like fishing, hog hunting, and riding ATV's. There's also a camaraderie aspect of getting together yearly with old friends.

The amount of money spent on a lease is relative to affordability and worth. To some spending a couple of grand a year is not a big deal. Not much difference in hunting over a feeder or sitting in an oak flat (acorns) or overlooking an isolated meadow in elk country. Hunting over a feeder guarantees nothing. I have hunted them but prefer sitting along trails near acorn trees where I've seen lots of does (does make the best buck bait).

Again, I love Texas' opportunities but they do require knowledge of the land to reap the most benefits.

I loved the salmon comments ... I'll remember them the next time I'm out out in one of Texas' awesome bays or in the surf battling a 35 pound redfish or struggling with a 25 lb striped bass on Lake Texoma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or