Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,673 times

Advertisements

I am an outdoor enthusiast who likes to hike, climb mountains, and do many other activities. In the western USA, there is much public to explore and recreate. However, it appears to me that Texas has very little public land, so this many limit the outdoor activities that one may do.

Therefore, would moving to Texas be good for outdoor enthusiasts, or are outdoor enthusiasts restricted by what they can do because so much of the land is off-limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM

694 posts, read 834,755 times
I have always found Texas to be a great place for enjoying the Outdoors. Yes the summers can get hot, but the winters are mild, and people camp all year....There are a great many parks, and other protected lands.... national parks and forests, state parks, wildlife refuges, water authority parks...

Big Bend National Park is over 800,000 acres

The U.S. Forest Service manages approximately 675,000 acres of public land in Texas.

There is something like 300,000 acres in protected wildlife refuges..

Texas state parks include 580,000 acres of land owned or leased by the department, including 95 state parks, historic sites and natural areas.

Yes, there is less public land, but its a big state, and there are other ways land is preserved and available to be enjoyed.

https://www.backpacker.com/trips/state/texas

http://specials.mystatesman.com/texas-national-parks/

https://www.fws.gov/refuges/refugelo...aps/Texas.html

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/take-a-hike/

Top 15 Places to Go Hiking in Texas

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/texas/home

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 03-13-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-13-2018, 10:38 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
If your main interests are hiking, mountain climbing, and back-country exploration no Texas is not a good fit. As you've already noticed, Texas has a pittance of public land. Over 90% of the state is privately owned. Colorado is less than half the size of Texas and has roughly 4 times more public land than Texas does.

Texas also has very little in the way of mountainous terrain. The scant few mountains Texas does have are in the southwestern corner of the state several hours' drive from the major metros of the Texas Triangle.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:09 PM

160 posts, read 196,124 times
While there is some very nice scenery, it is nothing compared to states like Utah, Colorado, and the Pacific NW.

Texas has done a deplorable job of managing its funding for public nature areas. State Parks are severely underfunded and understaffed. Many lack basic amenities like clean bathrooms. They are very restricted on what you can do and where you can camp. Generally you can only camp in designated areas and no fires are allowed most of the year. Also forget about any kind of off road vehicle. They are banned on pretty much all public land.

If you desire a wide choice and freedom to enjoy natural areas I would avoid this state.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM

694 posts, read 834,755 times
The question is/was not whether Texas is better than other states for outdoor activities, but whether someone who enjoys outdoor activities could find enough of them here.

I doubt people move here to take advantage of the outdoor activities, but if you are moving here for other reasons, can you find things to do outside, that are enjoyable and rewarding?

I know a great many people who kayak the coast, camp on the beach, hike the hills, and float the rivers.... they seem to be enjoying themselves. I guess its an attitude thing.

Below are Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) venues located on public lands in Texas where OHV recreation is allowed and the Texas OHV decal is required.

A Texas OHV decal can be purchased by calling the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Customer Service Center (CSC). The CSC phone number is (512) 389-8917. The decal cost is $16.00 and can be paid for with a credit card. The decals are valid from September 1 to August 31 of the following year.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/t...-ohvs-in-texas

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 03-13-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 PM

16 posts, read 25,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abelinkkin View Post
They are very restricted on what you can do and where you can camp. News to me. I camp in SHNF wherever I want, outside of Hunting season where they have many designated spots anyway.Generally you can only camp in designated areas and no fires are allowed most of the year.I have a fire everytime unless there's an area burn ban Also forget about any kind of off road vehicle. They are banned on pretty much all public land. 100% false
^^^

Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I think it depends on the type of outdoor activities you are into,OP.It suits me just fine.I prefer private land over public but thats just me.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 7,110 times
I used to enjoy the outdoors and hiking in the mountains before moving to Houston. Now we rarely get out to nature, it's just too hot during the summer season, the bugs feast on my wife and the nearest mountain is day's drive away. The few nice lakes I wanted to go check out for camping seems like you have to book months in advance to get a spot

Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Too hot and everything is too far away.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
It's not really that Texas lacks opportunities for recreation in as much as such opportunities are actively pushed out of grasp of many. And this occurs not only from the lack of public land, but also land-uses that have undesirable effects on the nature.

Suburban sprawl, as is seen in all the large Texas cities, is a common land use that degrades the environment. Compared to dense build of the same population, you end up with much larger ecological destruction, as well as with less population in access. Also, certain industrial practices (i.e. oil refineries, fracking, etc) end up spoiling what would otherwise have been fantastic recreational assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas