U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM

45 posts, read 139,244 times

Advertisements

My wife received a job offer that was too good to pass up in Victoria, TX. Of course, there is the issue of my employment. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and have spent the majority of my career working with children (i.e. protective services and foster home agencies), with that in mind, does anyone have any insight on the job market in Victoria? I understand that I may have to find a "job" while I look for a career. Also, we are looking to rent a home since we have two big dogs and living in an apartment is out of the question. Will it be difficult to find a nice home to rent? We aren't opposed to living in a smaller town such as Port Lavaca or Cuero. It may be more difficult to find a home in a town with a smaller population, but we are really attracted to the small town atmosphere. Any tips would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,326,538 times
i dont know much about Victoria, but i believe that there is a designated children's hospital there. you may look into that..or at least one of the hospitals is more pediatric-oriented. have you surfed on the Texas Dept of Health and Human Services website for job openings in social work?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
i dont know much about Victoria, but i believe that there is a designated children's hospital there. you may look into that..or at least one of the hospitals is more pediatric-oriented. have you surfed on the Texas Dept of Health and Human Services website for job openings in social work?
Yes I have but much like the last time I worked for the State, it took a long while before I even recieved a phone call. I'll play the waiting game for now. My wife is a speech pathologist will be working at one of the pediatric clinics in Victoria. I'll check out the hosptial the next time I go out there. Thanks for the advise. Know anything about the housing market? Anyone? Anyone?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM

13,677 posts, read 30,397,442 times
Out of curiosity, where are you moving from? I personally prefer Cuero to Pt. Lavaca, but that is just me. Some will prefer the ocean atmosphere. Victoria is very much a historic looking town, I really like the appearance in some areas, but I am not sure on the housing costs. Cuero has some very quaint back neighborhoods, as well, but it is definitely a small town atmosphere (more so than Victoria). It does seem a little more active then Pt. L. I suspect that Pt. L has the cheapest housing, but you are getting down in a pretty industrial area of the coast. Formosa and Alcoa are right around that area, I think.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM

2,237 posts, read 8,268,529 times
There the Devereux: Helping children & adults with emotional, developmental, educational, and cognitive disabilities since 1912 in Victoria. You could probably use your experience there.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the posts guys. I actually perfer living in a smaller town i.e. Cuero or Port Lavaca. I figured it would be difficult to find a rental home there, but Im still going to try. I am moving from Alice, so Im used to small town living. I also used to live in Austin and Corpus. It spent enough time in those places to know that I like to visit, but living there just isn't for me.

Thanks for the referral actungpv, I'll look into it.

They don't call Texas the friendly state for nothing.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 AM

3 posts, read 2,298 times
Hello,
There aren't a lot of decent homes to rent in either Port Lavaca or Cuero that I know about. However, the home values are low enough in both of those towns that I would just buy if I were to stay more than a couple years. I am familiar with the real estate markets in both of those towns, so if you have any questions, definitly let me know.
Currie

Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf05 View Post
Hello,
There aren't a lot of decent homes to rent in either Port Lavaca or Cuero that I know about. However, the home values are low enough in both of those towns that I would just buy if I were to stay more than a couple years. I am familiar with the real estate markets in both of those towns, so if you have any questions, definitly let me know.
Currie

Thank you for your input. Do you know of any nice places to rent in Victoria? Fortunately, we aren't moving until July or August so please keep us in mind.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM

49 posts, read 127,405 times
My sister lives in Cuero, TX. She says there are virtually no rental homes there. However, houses are so cheap, really cheap, that you can easily buy one. Victoria, TX is where my brothers and Mom live. They love it - even the extreme humidity. I can't take it (or the bugs) so I'm here in the mountains. Mom said her big lovely home was much below the price last year that she would have paid anywhere else. You should have lots of fun househunting in this market. Have fun and good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
My husband and I would like to move to Victoria for the warmer weather year round. We are currently living in Oklahoma and we have extremely cold windy damp days in the winter time. I have Osteoarthritis and the wet cold weather only makes it worse. Very painful. What is the weather like in Victoria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas