Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
How am I throwing stones if I stated a fact? I never once said humidity = miserable in my response, just that I felt it a little more in Austin than in Dallas. Houston and the Gulf are more humid than Dallas and Austin, which is a fact. Most people who have spent any significant amount of time in these 3 cities during the summertime can often tell the difference. Walk outside in Houston during the summer and you're sweating in minutes. It takes awhile longer in Dallas. And I clarified that neither Dallas or Austin have a dry heat aka Vegas or Denver.
One, there was no reason to even mention Houston, the bickering was between Dallas and Austin. Two, Houston is not the source of humidity, the Gulf is. The way you put it makes it appear that in your mind the Gulf, and Houston, are both sources of humidity, which of course is not the case.

BTW Humidity keeps people looking younger longer, so there are actually good reasons to seek a more humid climate.

" Bummer is, this indicates that living in a dry climate means your face is more likely to develop wrinkles. "In dry weather, the water that's naturally in your skin will evaporate, and the moisturizer you apply will evaporate more rapidly," says New York City dermatologist Robert Anolik. "This study shows us that objectively, that will mean more wrinkles in the short term and the long term."

https://www.allure.com/story/the-lin...r-and-wrinkles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 01:49 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
One, there was no reason to even mention Houston, the bickering was between Dallas and Austin. Two, Houston is not the source of humidity, the Gulf is. The way you put it makes it appear that in your mind the Gulf, and Houston, are both sources of humidity, which of course is not the case.

BTW Humidity keeps people looking younger longer, so there are actually good reasons to seek a more humid climate.

" Bummer is, this indicates that living in a dry climate means your face is more likely to develop wrinkles. "In dry weather, the water that's naturally in your skin will evaporate, and the moisturizer you apply will evaporate more rapidly," says New York City dermatologist Robert Anolik. "This study shows us that objectively, that will mean more wrinkles in the short term and the long term."

https://www.allure.com/story/the-lin...r-and-wrinkles
Houston wasn't brought into any bickering. It was used as an example of a notably humid city, which is closer in proximity to Austin than it is to Dallas. Yes, the Gulf is the main source. Both Houston and Austin are closer to the Gulf than Dallas is. All 3 are humid cities, but obviously to varying degrees.

I'm not sure what your point is about humidity and people aging, when neither Dallas or Austin are "dry" cities. They're drier than Houston, but they're still classified as humid subtropical.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:30 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Houston wasn't brought into any bickering. It was used as an example of a notably humid city, which is closer in proximity to Austin than it is to Dallas. Yes, the Gulf is the main source. Both Houston and Austin are closer to the Gulf than Dallas is. All 3 are humid cities, but obviously to varying degrees.

I'm not sure what your point is about humidity and people aging, when neither Dallas or Austin are "dry" cities. They're drier than Houston, but they're still classified as humid subtropical.
My point should be obvious , humidity is not something that should be necessarily avoided at all cost , and actually has some benefits over dryer climates, not that Dallas is dry we all know that's not the case.

You did bring Houston into the bickering when you posted the name Houston in a comparative sense. The misery index I posted shows that all three cities are equally miserable in the summer months and bickering that one has an advantage over another because of slightly lower humidity levels is ridiculous and laughable.

I just thought it was funny because as soon as humidity was mentioned I knew Houston would be brought in to the mix soon and it was.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 04-02-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 03:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Dallas is not more humid than Austin. Starting to question if you've ever been to Dallas lol
LOL I was there just this past weekend. I'm in Dallas at least once a month, like it or not. Been doing that most of my adult life. Sometimes it's for business, sometimes for pleasure - usually for business though.

What I mean by the statement is the overall comfort level - humidity combined with temperature. I much prefer Austin's overall weather to that of Dallas. I'm very familiar with both.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2018 at 05:36 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I get that you prefer smaller metros, but Austin & Fort Worth aren't completely exempt from traffic woes. Fort Worth in particular has less mobility options compared to Dallas (e.g. trolleys, trains), which means you're forced to drive. Depending on where you live and work in Dallas, you can completely avoid the traffic. If you live west of FW, then driving in isn't bad. But coming in from the east or northeast, you'll be faced with a lot traffic and road construction. You'll also need to pick your location in Austin wisely because Downtown is a nightmare.

Weather: Austin is just as hot as Dallas in the summer and is slightly more humid (closer to the Gulf & Houston). I've been there plenty of times in the summer and noticed somewhat of a difference. To be fair, neither are dry so it's really grasping at straws. Austin actually has more days of precip (88 days) than Dallas (81 days). Dallas receives slightly more rain in terms of inches (38 in vs. 34 in.), but on less days. Again, grasping at straws. They're practically identical when you consider how frequently it rains in a place like Seattle and how heavy it rains in places like AL & MS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin%2C_Texas#Climate

Snowfall and ice differences are rather marginal as well. I mean, let's be honest. Neither Dallas or Austin are as snow & ice free as Miami or as snow-covered as Buffalo. I'll give you Tornado Alley, but wait you mentioned Fort Worth! Ah yes, Fort Worth. To the best of my knowledge, a tornado has never set foot in DT Dallas like it had in DT FW not too long ago. Not to mention that both cities have the same EXACT terrain and climate. So if Austin is supposedly a better improvement for climate, how do you explain Fort Worth?

Look, I get the pros of Fort Worth & Austin. I'll give you traffic (barely), but fail to see weather/climate. Since this is a thread about personality, it sounds like you don't like the people of Dallas as opposed to the size of the city or other reasons you've listed. I think that's a bit over-exaggerated since there are so many different types of people that live in Dallas.
Oh come on. I gave very specific reasons why I prefer Austin to Dallas. You don't have to agree, but so what? I'm not irritated that you don't agree with me. Why on earth does this matter so much to you? The whole thread is about PERSONAL PREFERENCES. Sheeze.

And I never said I don't like the people of Dallas. Wow, that's a stretch. I have nothing against "the people of Dallas" at all.

I do not like the traffic and I do not like the terrain of Dallas. I prefer the weather of Austin over the weather of Dallas. And I have family living in Austin. So I prefer Austin. Clearly this has nothing to do at all with "the people of Dallas" other than the fact that I'm not related to any of them and in fact, I don't know anyone in Dallas very well. Unlike Austin. Lord have mercy. I can't get much clearer than that.

Once again, so what? Why on earth does this matter so much to you? I don't mind if you love Dallas, even though we disagree. I don't think less of you for liking Dallas. It doesn't bother me in the least - in fact, if you live there I really hope you LOVE it there.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I just get the general feeling she doesn't like Dallas and then tried to explain it to prove its rational and not a prejudice. The issue I have is that her reasons for not liking Dallas could easily be applied to Austin and even more so Fort Worth.
I am very, very familiar with all of the following cities - Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas (among others). Like most people who spend a lot of time in various cities, I prefer some more than others. And yes, in fact, Dallas wears me totally out and I dislike it generally speaking. I gave some reasons but not all my reasons because frankly, I'm not into beating up cities, especially Texas cities, since I love Texas so much and am actually proud of our metro areas in general.

Each of the forementioned cities have very distinct vibes, personalities, and pros and cons. The appeal, or lack thereof, certainly varies from person to person. I don't pretend to like them all, because I don't like them all. And I don't like every area or every single bit of any of those cities. But overall, I much prefer Austin and Fort Worth out of the five I mentioned. And in part that's because I have friends and family in Austin (and in Fort Worth) and that's always a draw. But I also really prefer those two metro areas over Houston and Dallas in particular because they have significantly lower populations so there's less congestion. I'm not one for huge, sprawling cities generally speaking, though I do love London (that's a whole other topic though - LOL).

Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM

And the topic of this thread is the Texas metro area that we supposedly should like the most based on our Myers-Brigg test score. My preference is not what the OP's info said it "should" be - because according to the OP, I "should" prefer Dallas, and I don't. I'm not trying to offend anyone - just stating an observation.

I really am going to buy that sign now though, and hang it on my back patio. Fo SHO.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:48 PM

437 posts, read 925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
"INTJ: Lubbock". Maybe, think more of Lajitas. You probably misinterpret INTJ, which most people do-- they don't care about conservative or liberal, as they are a part of neither. You will rarely meet an INTJ. A real INTJ would live in a more rural area next to a city, think Texas Hill Country. A song that a Texas INTJ would listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlqHyKUqVxA
Well, I’m INTJ and absolutely love living in Lubbock! But am also a Wade Bowen fan!�� You hit the nail on the head in saying we’re neither liberal nor conservative as well.....

Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
I just think it's pretty hilarious to split hairs and say Austin has better weather than Dallas. The whole Texas Triangle has similar weather, the difference being Dallas is slightly hotter than Houston and Houston is more humid and gets more rain.

Austin has the highest average temp of the 3 and is between Dallas and Houston on humidity.

I mean seriously, Austin and Dallas have almost IDENTICAL climates. The only significant difference is that Dallas gets a little more snow or ice (and I mean a LITTLE) , and that it is more likely to have a tornado. Austin is still above average on Tornados though.

//www.city-data.com/city-compar...t=Austin%2C+TX

Old 04-03-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I just think it's pretty hilarious to split hairs and say Austin has better weather than Dallas. The whole Texas Triangle has similar weather, the difference being Dallas is slightly hotter than Houston and Houston is more humid and gets more rain.

Austin has the highest average temp of the 3 and is between Dallas and Houston on humidity.

I mean seriously, Austin and Dallas have almost IDENTICAL climates. The only significant difference is that Dallas gets a little more snow or ice (and I mean a LITTLE) , and that it is more likely to have a tornado. Austin is still above average on Tornados though.

//www.city-data.com/city-compar...t=Austin%2C+TX
That's why it's not my main reason for preferring Austin over Dallas. It's just one of the many, many reasons I have already listed.

But I'm glad I brightened your day with some hilarity!

And let me tell you why even small changes in climate can make a big difference. I used to live east of the Tyler metro - still in the Tyler metro but on the east side. Then I moved to the west side of the Tyler metro area. Guess what - my home owner's insurance rates went up, and pretty dramatically and you know why? Wind damage is more common on the west side than the east side of Tyler. Now - talk about nearly identical climates - I mean, I moved less than 20 miles west. And guess what - "they" were right - we do have more wind and hail on this side of Tyler.

I won't repeat all the other minor reasons that I've already listed because there's no sense beating a dead horse, but I will repeat my two main reasons for preferring Austin over Dallas, for some perspective, since you seem fixated on the weather thing.

The two main reasons though, for me personally are this: I have friends and family in Austin, and I much prefer the terrain and scenery of the Austin area over the Dallas area. It is what it is. The other points are minor compared to those.

Also, a job is unimportant to my husband and me in the sense that we could literally live anywhere we wanted to with his job as long as there's easy access to a good airport. So that's nice. In fact, a few years ago we did some significant traveling across the US and Texas, deciding where to move. We ended up moving 20 miles from where we already lived! And yes, we marked both Austin AND Dallas off our list, but the Austin area is still a contender for "one day." Right now though, we're happy as clams in the Tyler area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas