Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

I'm Venezuelan. Dominican grandmother tho. Come to a Dominican barber shop. Plenty of Dominicans come here. So yes they do hav a established Dominican population. Now is it comparable to the Mexican population? Ofcourse not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 PM

232 posts, read 360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsofthebase3 View Post
Quoted for great justice. If you want to come here legally, work hard and earn your keep, and get a better life for your family, then color or language is a non issue to me.
Correct me if I am wrong, but to come into the USA legally... doesn't a person have to already be wealthy/educated? Don't get me wrong, but it's sort off ironic trying to "get a better life for your family" when a person is already wealthy lol

(Don't go on a rant and get butt hurt, look at the words I wrote in bold)

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM

605 posts, read 669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
the number one OTM in Texas are Brasilians.
Actually there are more people from El Salvador and Honduras in Texas than there are Brazilians. The US Census data proves this to be the case.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:40 AM

59 posts, read 53,333 times
Dominicans are scattered all throughout

Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,737,240 times
The largest Puerto Rican population is in the Dallas area.

Houston has the largest Dominican population but its still very small.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,096 times
I know a good number of Boricuas here in Fort Worth and throughout the metroplex; some Dominicanos too.

Obviously, Florida (especially S FL) has a much greater variety of hispanics than TX.

As far as discrimination, etc., it varies greatly and depends on the person's awareness, experience, and approach to life! In 15 years in TX I've seen the gamut, but mostly there are good relations between hispanics and anglos in TX.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I know a good number of Boricuas here in Fort Worth and throughout the metroplex; some Dominicanos too.

Obviously, Florida (especially S FL) has a much greater variety of hispanics than TX.
Only if you go by nationality, which would be a mistake IMO. Mexicans have an infinite amount of variety all by themselves.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:01 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Only if you go by nationality, which would be a mistake IMO. Mexicans have an infinite amount of variety all by themselves.
Certainly not infinite, but there certainly is a great variety of cultures and peoples in Mexico. However, I don't find their variety to be well represented in TX.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:52 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Well, there's a huge difference between Texas as a whole and Houston, or even Dallas. In Texas, being Hispanic, people will not solely call you Hispanic, but they'll expect that is what you are. But Houston has a WAAAAAAAAY more diverse Hispanic population than the rest of Texas. Dallas has a fairly diverse one as well. So if you're in Houston, and you're Hispanic, people won't straight forward ask if you're Hispanic. If anything they'll ask for your nationality.

But as for anywhere West of Houston and Dallas, the Hispanic population is so dominated by Mexican or Tex Mex, that it does get overwhelming. That includes San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and obviously the Valley and El Paso. Austin may some day get like Dallas, but as of now it's still a Mexican and Tex Mex dominant city.

From a Venezuelan, I can tell you the Caribbean prescience in Houston has grown a lot from what it was years ago. At one point I remember the only Dominican restaurant in Houston was "Punta acaba". Now I know of plenty. you can go to non-Puerto Rican clubs, and sometimes see more Puerto Rican's than any other Hispanic nationality. That shouldn't be surprising tho.

There's still plenty to grow, but it's definitely way bigger than it was years ago. I hope they branch out the Puerto Rican & Cuban festival and have two individual ones because its about that time.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:03 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Certainly not infinite, but there certainly is a great variety of cultures and peoples in Mexico. However, I don't find their variety to be well represented in TX.
Infinite meaning nearly impossible to measure, and that's certainly true. There are unknown levels of ethnic diversity in Mexico. I can't speak on whatever part of Texas you're familiar with, but, in my experience, that diversity has certainly been visible. For example, I'd wager you're more likely to meet Asian Hispanics in Texas than you are in South Florida. FL Hispanics definitely have more visible African ancestry. That is the most outstanding difference in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas