Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Austin: San Jose, CA

El Paso: Albuquerque

Midland: Bakersfield, CA

Dallas: Los Angeles

San Antonio: Orlando

Marfa: Berkeley, CA

Amarillo: Oklahoma City

Houston: tough.. maybe NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 09:46 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
MarfA: Berkeley? What the hell? I've been to Berkeley and just don't see it other than in terms of politics and attitude among some residents.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I have lived in both Phoenix and Dallas. I transplanted to both places. There's more similarity than you acknowledge, but I agree with your overall point that there are more similar cities to Dallas besides Phoenix.

The biggest difference between Phoenix and Dallas is the business climate. The business climate was the primary reason that I left Phoenix for Dallas. For a city of its size, Phoenix is woefully inadequate on quality of jobs. Phoenix has very few notable corporate HQs for a city of size. This has gotten even worse since I left, as in 2017, consumer products giant Henkel (parent of the Dial Corporation) left Phoenix. Much of it is because Phoenix was a nothing of a city prior to advent/mass market of air conditioning in the 1950s. Dallas had more of a population base prior to the 1950s than Phoenix.

If you are wealthy in Phoenix, it is likely that you brought your wealth in from somewhere else. The best way to live in Phoenix is to make your money somewhere else (NYC metro, Chicago, or California are common examples in the more affluent Phoenix population) and then move to Phoenix once you are more affluent. There are two common ways this is done: A person around age 45 or so will take a senior executive position there and then serve out the last 15 or so years of their career there or someone will retire there in their 60s.

I made the mistake of having Phoenix be the first city I lived in after finishing undergrad and I found it very difficult to establish a career there.

The Hispanic population as a percentage of population is similar in Dallas County to Maricopa County.

There is similarity in the nightlife and mating scenes in the cities. Old Town Scottsdale and Uptown Dallas have a similar vibe. There are many physically fit, attractive women with bad attitudes populating the bar scenes in both cities. There is sort of an "Image is Everything" mentality in both cities.

Phoenix is unsustainable, but there are certainly sustainable concerns in Dallas.

Overall, the Dallas metro area has been a better fit for me. The stronger business climate in Dallas has been a big reason for this. Additionally, the quality of people in Dallas is better from my vantage point.
Dallas county may have a similar Latino population % but the MSA as a whole is less than that of the Phoenix MSA (~ 29% vs. 41% in Phoenix). Phoenix is a little younger as well. There are sustainable concerns for sure in D/FW due to growth and water. Favorably, Texas has recognized such and just broke ground on another lake northeast of D/FW that should be open within 4 years. I think unless Arizona secures another water source it and Vegas are in for big trouble. At least California can fund desalinization plants to convert seawater and gets winter snowpack creation. I can see those in the desert moving eastward or northward to escape what could be problematic.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Dallas county may have a similar Latino population % but the MSA as a whole is less than that of the Phoenix MSA (~ 29% vs. 41% in Phoenix). Phoenix is a little younger as well. There are sustainable concerns for sure in D/FW due to growth and water. Favorably, Texas has recognized such and just broke ground on another lake northeast of D/FW that should be open within 4 years. I think unless Arizona secures another water source it and Vegas are in for big trouble. At least California can fund desalinization plants to convert seawater and gets winter snowpack creation. I can see those in the desert moving eastward or northward to escape what could be problematic.
Youre number on the Phoenix MSA's Hispanic population is inaccurate. DFW by metro area is 28.5% Hispanic and Phoenix by metro area is 30.5% Hispanic. Not a big difference especially considering how much larger DFW is. DFW has 2,065,000 Hispanics and Phoenix has 1,425,000 Hispanics.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I think unless Arizona secures another water source it and Vegas are in for big trouble.
I would not want to live in Phoenix, Tucson, or Las Vegas at this point. Some of the smaller Arizona cities are decent places to live if you don't have to worry about making a living.

Dallas is a good place to live on a day-to-day basis, but not really a good place to vacation. Both Phoenix/Tucson, and the smaller Arizona cities (Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, Prescott) are great places to visit, decent places for retirement, but not at all good for living while one is in their prime working years.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Austin: San Jose, CA

El Paso: Albuquerque

Midland: Bakersfield, CA

Dallas: Los Angeles

San Antonio: Orlando

Marfa: Berkeley, CA

Amarillo: Oklahoma City

Houston: tough.. maybe NYC
No offense, but this isnt serious is it?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No offense, but this isnt serious is it?
They might have gotten El Paso/Albuquerque but that's about it. Not even OKC and Amarillo are a good match.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Dallas is a good place to live on a day-to-day basis, but not really a good place to vacation.
So true. I always tell people that Dallas is a great place to live and work, but sucks as far as vacation/visiting. But there are also places that are great to vacation in and visit but crappy to live or work in, so I guess there's that.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
They might have gotten El Paso/Albuquerque but that's about it. Not even OKC and Amarillo are a good match.
I can kinda see San Antonio to Orlando and maybe Austin to San Jose, but thoae are stretches.

Houston is more like L.A. on msore ways than you can count, so Dallas is wrong.

The ONLY city that OKC comes even close to relating to (and vice versa) is Ft. Worth.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I can kinda see San Antonio to Orlando and maybe Austin to San Jose, but thoae are stretches.

Houston is more like L.A. on msore ways than you can count, so Dallas is wrong.

The ONLY city that OKC comes even close to relating to (and vice versa) is Ft. Worth.
That San Antonio and Orlando both have a Sea World is the only thing I see there....

OKC and Fort Worth, good one.

Houston and Dallas are closer to other boomtown sunbelt cities.... Phoenix, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Miami than either LA or NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas