Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:47 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned Dallas lacks in AA culture, which is true for the most part. What historic black neighborhoods does Dallas have other than Oak Cliff? Crickets. In Houston, you have multiple historic black neighborhoods such as Acres Homes, 5th Ward, and 3rd Ward. You can search for documentaries on YouTube about the aforementioned Houston black neighborhoods. Interviews with the older residents about each neighborhood's heyday, what led to the decline, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Someone mentioned Dallas lacks in AA culture, which is true for the most part. What historic black neighborhoods does Dallas have other than Oak Cliff? Crickets. In Houston, you have multiple historic black neighborhoods such as Acres Homes, 5th Ward, and 3rd Ward. You can search for documentaries on YouTube about the aforementioned Houston black neighborhoods. Interviews with the older residents about each neighborhood's heyday, what led to the decline, etc.
The historical black neighborhoods in Dallas are Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove, Deep Ellum, and Freedman's Town in North Dallas. Then you have upscale black suburbs in DeSoto and Cedar Hill. Im not saying Dallas can match Houston in AA culture, but saying it isnt there is ignorant. After all, DFW is home to the 2nd fastest growing AA community in the US after Atlanta. Houston is a very close 3rd. It cant be that devoid of a culture if its growing that fast.

Dallas has plenty of low income black neighborhoods just like Houston does. Dallas as a city is also half the size so you couldnt expect it to go pound for pound with Houston. What I think Houston does have that Dallas doesnt really is a wealthy black neighborhood close to the city center. Houston has that in MacGregor Park. But Dallas has plenty of neighborhoods like Acres homes or the 5th Ward.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:35 PM

171 posts, read 145,921 times
Ive looked into the Dallas region and noticed that majority of the homes that are predominately AA are in terrible regions, like Fair Park , South Dallas , and parts of Oak Cliff, all in the hood, Apartment rating all terrible reviews mentioning everything from rats, roaches, and prostitutes, Yes the apartments are much more affordable but with me being a out of state resident with Out of state tags, Im not trying to get robbed moving in a sketchy area with sketchy neighbors. I hate to say it, but its clear that some of the "historical black neighborhoods" are in the ghetto, which is the reoccurring theme in numerous larger cities, including my hometown Cincinnati.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Ive looked into the Dallas region and noticed that majority of the homes that are predominately AA are in terrible regions, like Fair Park , South Dallas , and parts of Oak Cliff, all in the hood, Apartment rating all terrible reviews mentioning everything from rats, roaches, and prostitutes, Yes the apartments are much more affordable but with me being a out of state resident with Out of state tags, Im not trying to get robbed moving in a sketchy area with sketchy neighbors. I hate to say it, but its clear that some of the "historical black neighborhoods" are in the ghetto, which is the reoccurring theme in numerous larger cities, including my hometown Cincinnati.
The suburban areas to the south like Desoto, Cedar Hill, and parts of Lancaster are better. There’s also South Arlington and South Grand Prairie as well.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Look at Desoto or Cedar Hill. That is where you will find a large middle/upper-middle class black community.

Also, with the exception of MacGregor Park, you will find almost the exact same thing in Houston. Acres Homes, Sunnyside, South Park, and the 3rd and 5th wards are equally run down. However, in Missouri City and Stafford youll find more well to do African Americans living in better conditions.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
The suburban areas to the south like Desoto, Cedar Hill, and parts of Lancaster are better. There’s also South Arlington and South Grand Prairie as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Look at Desoto or Cedar Hill. That is where you will find a large middle/upper-middle class black community.
I agree with the locations recommended in both of these posts concerning areas of DFW to consider.

In addition to Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Lancaster, southern Grand Prairie, and south/southwest Arlington, areas of Mansfield near Joe Pool Lake, parts of Duncanville, and Glenn Heights might also work as well.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:51 AM

307 posts, read 531,979 times
Default Cedar Hill

Quote:

If your budget is 1200-1500 a monh then Cedar Hill area is the place for you. Safe, not far from downtown, the go to place in southern area for dining and shopping. Cedar Hill is racially diverse, 52 percent African American, with upscale living with new housing coming up in walkable district of Uptown, Cedar Hill. For apartments check out The Gates apartments or Uptown apartments in Cedar Hill. I don't know why anyone would suggest a new resident move to historic AA districts in Dallas, those are more for people who know the city and area, know how to navigate the area and understand the dynamics in buying there as they seek to be a part of the rejuvenation of the area over time.

Last edited by Ablebodied; 04-29-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 01:49 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Coming from Montgomery, Houston would be the better choice, as far as the AA culture and community you’re used to. But by sheer size and offerings in comparison to Montgomery, Houston would remind you more of Atlanta and to a lesser extent Birmingham. I know people from Montgomery travel to Birmingham and Atlanta for things to do. Just putting things into perspective from an AA’s point of view. That’s all.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 AM

171 posts, read 145,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Coming from Montgomery, Houston would be the better choice, as far as the AA culture and community you’re used to. But by sheer size and offerings in comparison to Montgomery, Houston would remind you more of Atlanta and to a lesser extent Birmingham. I know people from Montgomery travel to Birmingham and Atlanta for things to do. Just putting things into perspective from an AA’s point of view. That’s all.
Your definitely right Im always in Atlanta.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Your definitely right Im always in Atlanta.
Houston is probably more similar to Atlanta in terms of AA culture. Of that I have no doubt.

However, Dallas is much more similar to Atlanta in terms of the lay out and feel of the city. Dallas reminds me of an Atlanta on the Plains in terms of layout. Dallas could also be considered a mix of LA and Kansas in some weird way.

Houston reminds me of what happens if you mixed LA with Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas