Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

160 posts, read 637,174 times

Advertisements

I did not catch where you were going to be staying at. Texas is a big state, and with only 15 days to hit the tourist spots, its kind of hard, even if you are in Center.

My recommendations for a "Wild West" based trip would include Palo Duro one day, then out to Big Bend for another. On the way back from Big Bend, I'd say hit up Langtry and check the Judge Roy Bean Museum. It is a neat little part of Texas and Wild West history. There is also a flower garden there. Worth it!

I don't know if you are interested in Texas Independance history as part of your "Wild West' or not, but if you are, then take the Alamo tour. If you have the time, take the Mission Tours in San Antonio, as well. (I think they are better than the Alamo itself.)

If you really want to get into the Texas Independance history, go deeper than the typical tourist trap of the Alamo. Head over to Gonzalez. This little town is loaded with history. (I rank Gonzalez as the single most historic town in Texas, followed by Brownsville, then San Antonio.) I don't know how their museum is, other than having the cannon that fired the first shot of war. It was always a must see growing up that I never got around to.

Goliad is another must see. The fort is there, and a good tour. The Ox Cart War tree is a prime example of "Wild West". This tree was the location of the court sessions held for those on trial for crimes commited during the Ox Cart War. The guilty were hung from the tree. It is on the north side of the Goliad County Courthouse.

I could give hundreds of recommendations to see, but as said from the beginning, I don't know where you are going to be staying and only 15 days to see it, is not even enough to scratch the surface. Just about every small town in Texas has had at least one event in it worthy of a story or ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,834,017 times
As another poster mentioned, when you arrive in Houston it is worth a couple of days. The musuems in Houston are really, really good. I would check out at least: the Houston Museum of Natural Science (being the energy capital, there are amazing exhibits about oil, geology, renewable resources, etc. Plus all the typical Natural Science stuff). Also the Museum of Fine Arts. Both are in a museum district with like 28 museums, all interesting and fascinating stuff. Definitely worth a day. Take another day to visit Galveston, to see the Gulf Coast.. not like the ocean you are used to in France, or even the East or West Coast of the US. But you should check it out. Assuming you visit the East and West coast of the US in your lifetime, at least you will have seen all 3 coasts!

After a couple of days in H-town, definitely hit the Hill Country. SA, Austin, the more country areas that you want to see of Bandera, etc... all good! Stop and eat some BBQ. Stay in a town you like, don't worry about advance reservations.

I definitely recommend making the trek out to Big Bend. The drive will seem forever, but that alone will give you a real taste of what it is like to live in Texas. Things are very far apart!!! Big Bend does not dissappoint. This is the old west as you imagine; cowboys, desert, horses, mountains. Marfa and Alpine (in the Big Bend area) have lots of expats and people from all over. You will be happy you checked them out!

I'll leave the rest to you. There is plenty to do; the nicer beaches of S Padre, the Guadalupe Mountains, Palo Duro, DFW, etc.

Have fun, and do let us know how the trip went when you get back.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,351,584 times
yep whatever you do, dont leave Texas without stopping at an open pit BBQ place. i have pics of one called Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville in the "information about Central Texas" thread. i will bump it up for you so its easier to find. have fun!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,075,802 times
Our Horse Lady has some great suggestions - I think you may be trying to do too much - Padre to Big Bend to Palo Duro is a very great distance. Also west of Bandera is
TPWD: Garner State Park and TPWD: Lost Maples State Natural Area beautiful scenic drives, even a Utopia, Texas!

Someone mentioned Gruene Hall on another thread and I think you would like that along with the Guadalupe River running along side. And don't miss the Alamo and the San Antonio River Walk.

Of course I hope you will not miss Dallas -- these "ain't the Louvre" but are impressive, along with The Kimbell in Fort Worth.
Dallas Museum of Art - Home

http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/index.cfm?FuseAction=Page&PageID=1000001 (broken link)

Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,631,672 times
JSC is on the outer SE fringe of Houston, not SW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
I was told that it a not really amaizing. My husband does not speak (and does not understand) English and this kind of visit could be boring for them....
I think it's definitely worth doing once. You'd be surprised just how many tourists at the space center are from another country.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:22 PM

52 posts, read 138,968 times
I don't want to be with tourists from others country !

I want to be with real genuine Texan...even if they are rude ! I come to Texas to meet cowboys....LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM

52,617 posts, read 47,813,392 times
Default Decisions, Decisions

For fifteen days, man, you are going to have some hard decisions on where to begin. And you won't even see the tip of the iceberg after that amount of time.

You need to sample just about every terrain there is in our state. I won't pick any particular order, but I'll just go clockwise. You can visit the Dallas-Fort Worth area first, perhaps stopping to see Southfork Ranch, the Studios at Las Colinas, the Ft. Worth Stockyards and the West End. Then you can take a trek to Tyler and pick a few roses from the Rose Garden and take in the beauty of the Piney Woods. After that, you can head off to Houston and Galveston for some fun in the sun, see the Astros, head for the Galleria for shopping, Space Center Houston for the city's history with moon landings, and take in some great beach fun (for Galveston, book your hotel well in advance if you really want a good room).

Afterwards, you can head off for San Antonio and see what made Texas through the eyes of history. Also, Fiesta is four weeks away....something to think about. Also, sample some great Texas barbecue in Lockhart before venturing into Austin to see the State Capitol. The Texas Hill Country offers some of this nation's finest scenery and picturesque road trips. Then you can head off to Big Bend and catch majestic views of large West Texas mountain rangeland. The Marfa lights are also closeby, and you can catch them on your way to El Paso for some fabulous western adventure. Then you can come back into Lubbock to check out the Buddy Holly museum and sample wine from three nearby wineries before finishing up in Amarillo to have some great Texas steak and take in some wonderful views at Palo Duro Canyon.

That should cover you for fifteen days.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,351,584 times
excellent itinerary!!!! second that one. though gosh a trip to west texas/amarillo would be nice to squeeze in

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
For fifteen days, man, you are going to have some hard decisions on where to begin. And you won't even see the tip of the iceberg after that amount of time.

You need to sample just about every terrain there is in our state. I won't pick any particular order, but I'll just go clockwise. You can visit the Dallas-Fort Worth area first, perhaps stopping to see Southfork Ranch, the Studios at Las Colinas, the Ft. Worth Stockyards and the West End. Then you can take a trek to Tyler and pick a few roses from the Rose Garden and take in the beauty of the Piney Woods. After that, you can head off to Houston and Galveston for some fun in the sun, see the Astros, head for the Galleria for shopping, Space Center Houston for the city's history with moon landings, and take in some great beach fun (for Galveston, book your hotel well in advance if you really want a good room).

Afterwards, you can head off for San Antonio and see what made Texas through the eyes of history. Also, Fiesta is four weeks away....something to think about. Also, sample some great Texas barbecue in Lockhart before venturing into Austin to see the State Capitol. The Texas Hill Country offers some of this nation's finest scenery and picturesque road trips. Then you can head off to Big Bend and catch majestic views of large West Texas mountain rangeland. The Marfa lights are also closeby, and you can catch them on your way to El Paso for some fabulous western adventure. Then you can come back into Lubbock to check out the Buddy Holly museum and sample wine from three nearby wineries before finishing up in Amarillo to have some great Texas steak and take in some wonderful views at Palo Duro Canyon.

That should cover you for fifteen days.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM

8,064 posts, read 17,975,658 times
Let's see. Fly into Houston and tour the city, visit Galveston. I'd do the Johnson Space Center. (Your husband may not know English but I'm sure he's heard, "Houston, we have a problem!" Hahahahaha.) Then, on to San Antonio, through the Hill Country, visit Fredericksburg, then Abilene, and onto Lubbock. Visit Palo Duro Canyon, Amarillo, then across North Texas and down to Ft. Worth and Dallas.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 PM

346 posts, read 737,815 times
best trip for texas would B to spend sum time around the musuem district, zoo, and space center in houston, drive over to san antonio and austin, for the river walk, alamo, downtown austin in general, capital, ect, drive south south padre, about 4 hrs south of san antonio, and then from there west to big bend national park for the best scenery and sunset in texas and perhaps the us, just look up THE WINDOW BIG BEND SUNSET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas