Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,304 times

Advertisements

Hello,

me and my family are thinking of moving to texas by the end of the year. I have a 4 year old and a baby on the way.
Can anyone give me some advice on what we can expect. How is the car insurance? health insurance? utility bills?
I know housing is alot more affordable but what about everything else?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 PM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
You should be a bit careful.......Housing in Houston is generally less expensive than other large American cities. Its not always less expensive than smaller cities and towns. It depends a lot on where you are coming from.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 PM

So we are thinking of mving to the suburbs in houston, we are moving from california!!

Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes916 View Post
So we are thinking of mving to the suburbs in houston, we are moving from california!!
What is your budget and where in California are you coming from?

Old 04-18-2018, 03:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Go visit the Houston thread. There is a permanent sticky thread that gives a lot of information on moving to Houston.
One thing that may help - Houston sprawls like a cow town. You can find everything close to where you live and not have to travel across town to find something. So wherever you end up, you should be self contained.

There are lots of threads on where to live, schools, subdivisions, etc. You need to do your research and figure out how much of a commute you want and then plan. Take a map and draw a circle. Plenty of choices. Do consult a flood plain map, hire a good realtor, and my bit of advice. Don't buy a flooded home. No. Thank me later. ))

Old 04-18-2018, 09:24 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
Find yourself a job first before you move. Definitely. Once you do, you will see the areas that are a potential fit for you. Houston can take an hour or more to drive across. Too many unemployed people move here thinking jobs fall from trees in Houston, but that is incorrect. Jobs go to those whose skills are in demand.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:35 PM

thanks everyone, we are moving from orange county california and are considering spring texas or tomball.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
I believe house insurance is more than California - everything else is less but just a bit less, like maybe 10%. No income taxes, only property tax which are dependent upon your home purchase price, so there is an opportunity to save money there.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes916 View Post
Hello,

me and my family are thinking of moving to texas by the end of the year. I have a 4 year old and a baby on the way.
Can anyone give me some advice on what we can expect. How is the car insurance? health insurance? utility bills?
I know housing is alot more affordable but what about everything else?

Thanks!!
Why do you want to move to TX?

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-you-need.html

Texas is a very low public services states so don't expect many of the services you get at little or no cost in CA.

Utility bills are high in summer because of the heat, and humidity most of the year.

Houston is very prone to flooding from heavy rains and hurricanes, so its very important to check the flood plain maps before buying or renting a home.

Health insurance is largely dependent on what your employer provides. If you have to buy your own it will be very expensive.

Car insurance is high in TX (#10), not as high as CA (#7) but still way up there. https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...nce-rates.html

Old 04-20-2018, 03:38 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
OP, what kind of work do you plan on doing to support yourself and your children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas