Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times

Advertisements

also Stephenville and its Lone Star Arena (i think thats what its called) or Hamilton and its Circle T Arena.
and of course ANY sale barn. you can find out what days towns have livestock sales by googling it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
i can pretty much always tell........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
SO, ya'll now have to educate the girl...how do you tell a "REAL" one from one ah them others???

I'm not gonna share my secrets until I write the book

Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
We used to judge the real cowboys from the wannabe's by whether their clothes were well worn. What I mean is, were their boots brand new, or scuffed and broken in? Were their jeans new or was there a worn spot in the back pocket from the skoal can? Same with the hats. If their entire outfit didn't have signs of wear, then they were more than likely weekend cowboys. If parts of their attire, or all of what they were wearing looked like it has been worn numerous times, then they were real.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM

52 posts, read 139,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
We used to judge the real cowboys from the wannabe's by whether their clothes were well worn. What I mean is, were their boots brand new, or scuffed and broken in? Were their jeans new or was there a worn spot in the back pocket from the skoal can? Same with the hats. If their entire outfit didn't have signs of wear, then they were more than likely weekend cowboys. If parts of their attire, or all of what they were wearing looked like it has been worn numerous times, then they were real.
and if they smell the sweet perfume of horses, you've got it !....LOL

Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Well, I just saw a "real" cowboy driving home today (not an unusual experience). He was closing the gate after driving the truck and trailer into the cattle pasture, preparatory to unloading his horse (actually, saying to the horse, "Unload," I've seen these particular horses in action before, with great envy - when he's done he'll say "load" and the horse will hop right in the trailer), to go work the cattle. He was wearing a cowboy hat, jeans, shirt, and leather chaps.

Of course, not everyone dressed that way will be a "real" cowboy, but if they are clearly about to go work cattle, and the truck and stock trailer are beat up, they probably are.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
She can't go wrong with that advice!!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Back in my wilder younger days, I used to hang out in Texas country beer joints a lot. If you had any sense you didn't pass yourself off as a "real cowboy" if you weren't. Because, as the old saying goes, there would be a few around to teach you the difference! LOL

Wearing a cowboy hat and a big ol' belt buckle and cowboy boots is fine...as it is just typical Texas dress in a lot of the boot scootin' dance halls. BUT...if you aint never branded cattle or rode a bull...stay sober enough to keep from claiming you have!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:19 AM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
Luckenbach, TX

Luckenbach, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Stephenville, Texas...Cowboy Capital of the world...
or so they claim...they have lots of rodeos...

Real Texas is found as soon as your plane lands or you cross the state or International border...
I don't know a part of Texas that is 'fake Texas'

Old 03-31-2008, 04:32 AM

10 posts, read 54,580 times
Thank you for all your replies! This has really made me so excited! I cannot wait to go to Texas and see all the wonderful things you have mentioned.

One question though, no one has mentioned anything with regard to safety of a 26yr single female driving alone? Is it acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas