Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times

Advertisements

The beach isn't too hot in August, that's silly. Just bring lots of sunscreen and spend most of the time in the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:00 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The beach isn't too hot in August, that's silly. Just bring lots of sunscreen and spend most of the time in the water.
Naw dude, the Gulf water is warm in the summer. I've been to Galveston in September and the water was like swimming in a bath tub. I like Galveston more than most, but It's just a bad time of the year to be outside here.

You will be looking at water temps in the mid 80s, which isn't very refreshing.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I was at Port A in August of last year, the beach was nice but you're right, the water not very refreshing. We also spent some time at some local San Antonio rivers. The river water was definitely more refreshing than the Gulf waters.

OP, when we are in South & Central Texas in August, there is usually lots of water activities going on... rivers, beach, swimming pools and water parks.

This year I am trying to go for the end of June and early July because these last couple of Texas Augusts have been hell. Last year one day even got up to 113F with humidity, absolute misery of a day.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:20 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Naw dude, the Gulf water is warm in the summer. I've been to Galveston in September and the water was like swimming in a bath tub. I like Galveston more than most, but It's just a bad time of the year to be outside here.

You will be looking at water temps in the mid 80s, which isn't very refreshing.
It's not bad if you spend the morning and evening at the beach and kind of retire for a bit to the A/C confines of your beach house for a few hours in the heat of the day to chill out, make a lunch, watch some TV.

It's also great hitting the hotel pool and hot tub at night or even going for a skinny dip in the Gulf. Been there, done that!

Also, the water temp in September is higher than August, it maxes out in September. Early August would have cooler water temps but June or July would be better. I've been in Port A around 4th of July and the water temp was perfect, maybe even a little coolish (mid 70's perhaps).

Also mid 80's is always better than the air temp which will be in the upper 90's or low 100's.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:31 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
birdlady127, I’m intrigued why Waco “wasn’t what you expected”?
Christie, I'm not the birdlady, but from a National perspective, on the National "SCENE" because of the fixer upper show, Waco simply does NOT live up to most peoples "expectations" We'll see what bird lady say, lol

Old 05-01-2018, 05:36 PM

218 posts, read 220,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady127 View Post
We went to Texas last July and everyone told us not to because of the heat that time of year. We were okay with it because we were exploring with a possible move in mind, so might as well get the worst of it to see if it's bearable, right?

We live in Northwestern PA and know humidity. The humidity wasn't as bad.

Our trip started in Austin, which we didn't plan time for (just fly in and drive out). I wish we would have planned more than 1/2 a day there! There is a really neat nature center there that is free. I missed seeing the bats on the bridge (Sorry, no clue name of it) and want to see that sometime too.

From there we went to San Antonio. The Riverwalk is neat, and it's near some nice kid/family things such as Sea World. Again, I wish we would have had more than the 2 days we planned for there!

Next was Corpus Christi/Padre Island for a few days. We really enjoyed that! Go to a sea turtle release if they have one. You have to get up before dawn, but so worth it!

Traveling north from there we went to Port Aransas and enjoyed a dolphin tour (pirate attack and nature boat trip all wrapped in, great for kids and so fun for even adults!)

Galveston was okay, but seemed more like a college hang out so we were kind of bored.

I wish we would have had time for Houston, but maybe next time!

Last was Waco, which outside of some tourist stuff is not what I expected! I wish we would have gone to the lake though, we missed that.
I may be off, I'm just assuming here, but the next time you are in Texas you may want to go down to the Valley and get in some bird watching done. It's the best place in the country for birding. Only I wouldn't recommend August. Frankly it's too hot to be outside then. I recommend sometime around Halloween or Thanksgiving. The weather is beautiful and lot's of migrations are occurring then.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,987,721 times
Texas Hill Country - Canyon Lake - We usually rent a house or cabin on there and have tons of fun

Old 05-01-2018, 08:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
The Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis area, because of the high elevation and desert climate, has August daytime temps in the mid to high 80s and it cools down at night, making for very pleasant evenings. In my opinion, based on numerous visits throughout the years, this are has the best climate in Texas. It’s beautiful, with lots of history.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Not sure where OP is from originally, but as a transplant who had only swam in ice-cold glacial or mountain lakes, the first swim in the warm waters of the Gulf was certainly a memorable novelty. Quite nice, in fact. It was like a nice soak in a warm, soothing bath, followed by a gentle cool down upon exiting the waters. A welcome change from the usual bracing cold of the ocean or lake waters in the heat of summer elsewhere, which i never found invigorating, but rather painful.

However, I wouldn't recommend a trip to the beach in the heat and sun of the daytime Texas summers. Closer to early evening would be better - around 5pm or so. This will minimize the worst of the August sun and heat, while still providing enough light to enjoy the beach into an evening swim, if so desired.

In addition to the beach and typical pier-side entertainment, there are many interesting historical sights around Galveston, including the Strand area and Seawolf Park, which contains some neat WW2 subs and ships that you can tour.

And about an hour or so away are the diverse sights of Houston: NASA; numerous museums and parks in the Museum District, a hopping bar and restaurant scene; beautiful historical neighborhoods lined with graceful, moss-draped oak trees; bustling ethnic neighborhoods full of authentic eats; and a world-class symphony, dance, and theatre scene. In short, lots of opportunities to duck out of the heat for some air-conditioned fun.

But other suggestions are good too, especially combining a visit of the quaint towns of the Hill Country, followed by swimming in the local rivers or lakes. Check out the Wimberley area, and swimming in the adjacent Blue Hole regional park or Blanco River.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
The Alpine, Marfa, Fort Davis area, because of the high elevation and desert climate, has August daytime temps in the mid to high 80s and it cools down at night, making for very pleasant evenings. In my opinion, based on numerous visits throughout the years, this are has the best climate in Texas. It’s beautiful, with lots of history.
Second that. Elevation is your friend in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas