U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 AM

506 posts, read 343,810 times

Advertisements

I will have some time off around August, and I want to explore all of Texas, but Texas is a huge state, so it'd be impossible to cover all within a week or so. I'd like to take a road trip.

What places are your favorite destinations within Texas to visit on vacations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:51 AM

10,504 posts, read 22,342,764 times
I love the Hill Country (especially Fredericksburg), and Big Bend National Park.

But it is miserably HOT in August. I mean usually days of 100+ daytime and barely getting to 80 after dark. So, I Wally can't recommend Big Bend that time of year. It's just too hot to spend your day hiking, and if you aren't used to the desert heat, you could easily become dehydrated!

Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM

55,484 posts, read 43,861,241 times
Listen, I love me some Texas but August is one month that I DON'T go on vacation in Texas! I'll head for Maine about that time!

But if you just have to do it, I'd head to the Hill Country - I mean, yes it's hotter than hell, but anyplace in Texas is going to be hotter than hell in August. If you're OK with that, then knock yourself out. I have been to San Antonio, Austin, and the Hill Country many times including in the summer and as long as you just accept the fact that you're going to sweat, and wear cotton clothing that will breathe, you'll be OK.

If you go to the Hill Country, be sure you check out Luckenbach, TX in the evening, for a nightly, spontaneous jam session and people hanging out drinking beer under the trees. You will meet people from literally all over the world there!

Old 05-01-2018, 07:25 AM

1,377 posts, read 843,515 times
The best option for a vacation in the heat of August would be a combination of urban exploration + beaches/water. So, Houston+Galveston, Corpus Christie + Port Aransas, or Austin/Hill Country + local swimming holes.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 AM

12,065 posts, read 10,943,413 times
Best options for August would be: Barton Springs in Austin (ice cold), lakes in Central Texas, Galveston, Corpus, or S. Padre beaches, or one of the Schlitterbahns (one each in NB, SP, CC, and GI)

Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM

12,432 posts, read 24,044,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I will have some time off around August, and I want to explore all of Texas, but Texas is a huge state, so it'd be impossible to cover all within a week or so. I'd like to take a road trip.

What places are your favorite destinations within Texas to visit on vacations?
Anyone with money leaves Texas every August for Santa Fe and Colorado. Take heed and check out one of those destinations in August. Texas is a great place to explore later in the fall or spring when the weather is more temperate.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 5,115 times
We went to Texas last July and everyone told us not to because of the heat that time of year. We were okay with it because we were exploring with a possible move in mind, so might as well get the worst of it to see if it's bearable, right?

We live in Northwestern PA and know humidity. The humidity wasn't as bad.

Our trip started in Austin, which we didn't plan time for (just fly in and drive out). I wish we would have planned more than 1/2 a day there! There is a really neat nature center there that is free. I missed seeing the bats on the bridge (Sorry, no clue name of it) and want to see that sometime too.

From there we went to San Antonio. The Riverwalk is neat, and it's near some nice kid/family things such as Sea World. Again, I wish we would have had more than the 2 days we planned for there!

Next was Corpus Christi/Padre Island for a few days. We really enjoyed that! Go to a sea turtle release if they have one. You have to get up before dawn, but so worth it!

Traveling north from there we went to Port Aransas and enjoyed a dolphin tour (pirate attack and nature boat trip all wrapped in, great for kids and so fun for even adults!)

Galveston was okay, but seemed more like a college hang out so we were kind of bored.

I wish we would have had time for Houston, but maybe next time!

Last was Waco, which outside of some tourist stuff is not what I expected! I wish we would have gone to the lake though, we missed that.

Last edited by birdlady127; 05-01-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 01:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,417,281 times
Somewhere on the Frio river. Water is cool and weather is hot. Beach is miserable in August.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:24 PM

10,504 posts, read 22,342,764 times
birdlady127, I’m intrigued why Waco “wasn’t what you expected”?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 2,060,576 times
I love Texas, but if I had a week off in August I would leave Texas and head for elevation.

The Beach is too hot in August.

If you must stay in Texas stick with the great indoors and visit one of the large cities and go to museums or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas