Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,229,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Miami Dolpins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Bucs play outside. Atlanta Braves play outside (in a brand new outdoor stadium).

In addition all CA teams play outside and it can get hot there, especially in the LA basin.
Yeah, most football is still played outside, what is your point?

Yes, historically they played the superbowl where it would be warm in February , Florida or California, more often than not.

Now they play the superbowl in a dome more often than not. They want minimal factors to effect the game. Build a brand new domed stadium in your city? You will prob get the superbowl soon so the NFL can showcase it, doesn't matter if that is in Atlanta, The Twin Cities, or Dallas. The real outlier was when they recently had it in NY, outside.

None of this really addresses the real issue: would people rather have a mild/ non existent winter,a short spring and fall, and a long hot summer, or would they rather have 4 seasons that are more or less 3 months long? I think most Americans prefer the latter

Arguing which city has "Nicer" weather in February is totally besides the point if people don't like 6 months of 85-100 degree highs (a solid 4 months of 90s+). I mean all you have to do is look at the Dallas summers vs Chicago winters poll, it's nearly 50/50 and that is with Chicago having a reputation for brutal winters. Put a more moderate balanced 4 season city in there and I'm sure it takes the cake. I think most Americans prefer 4 seasons, and I think that is a pretty reasonable thing to believe. Of course plenty of people don't like 4 seasons, and that is fine, but again, y'all are not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,815,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, most football is still played outside, what is your point?

Yes, historically they played the superbowl where it would be warm in February , Florida or California, more often than not.

Now they play the superbowl in a dome more often than not. They want minimal factors to effect the game. Build a brand new domed stadium in your city? You will prob get the superbowl soon so the NFL can showcase it, doesn't matter if that is in Atlanta, The Twin Cities, or Dallas. The real outlier was when they recently had it in NY, outside.

None of this really addresses the real issue: would people rather have a mild/ non existent winter,a short spring and fall, and a long hot summer, or would they rather have 4 seasons that are more or less 3 months long? I think most Americans prefer the latter

Arguing which city has "Nicer" weather in February is totally besides the point if people don't like 6 months of 85-100 degree highs (a solid 4 months of 90s+). I mean all you have to do is look at the Dallas summers vs Chicago winters poll, it's nearly 50/50 and that is with Chicago having a reputation for brutal winters. Put a more moderate balanced 4 season city in there and I'm sure it takes the cake. I think most Americans prefer 4 seasons, and I think that is a pretty reasonable thing to believe. Of course plenty of people don't like 4 seasons, and that is fine, but again, y'all are not the majority.
A Dallas summer compared to a Chicago winter isn't a fair comparison. Really, a Dallas summer against a Minneapolis or Winnipeg winter. A Houston summer against a Montreal winter.

In Minneapolis they have skywalks that connect all the buildings. If people loved the weather you would think they'd want to walk outside from building to building. Montreal also has an elaborate underground connection system. Next you'll say Houston has an underground system. Yes, I'm saying the winter in Montreal is comparable to a summer in Houston.

If you look up north at the cities that I'm mentioning, winter is around 6 months long (it can snow from November to April in Winnipeg or Montreal). In Houston summer can be 6 months long. So in Houston that leaves 6 months of pretty nice weather. In Montreal, the summers can be hot and humid as well, so that only leaves 3 months of nice weather.

If you want to compare say Chicago weather, you probably need to compare to say Atlanta or something. That is very mild and most people would prefer Atlanta's weather over Chicago's.

Again, you have to compare apples to apples. If you are comparing the hottest big city climates in North America, you need to pick a matching coldest big city climates. If you are comparing moderate climates then do moderate to moderate, i.e. NYC to say Charlotte.

In those comparisons the warm weather climate will always win...

Montreal vs. Houston --> Houston wins
Dallas vs. Winnipeg --> Dallas wins
Chicago vs. Atlanta --> Atlanta wins
NYC vs. Charlotte --> Charlotte wins

Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,310,375 times
Well a handful of annoying posts have ruined this thread. The topic is Texas! If you don’t like Texas vacate the thread and go to City vs City.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,285,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Which cities in Texas are your favorites or at least have a special place in your heart? For me it's Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Tyler and Texarkana(I mainly grew up here).
San Antone,Austin,,El Paso,Midland-Odessa,Abilene,Lubbock,San Angelo,Waco,Corpus

Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,551,495 times
Quote:
Houston is a giant *$&%-hole, and every time I go back I'm reminded why I would never, ever willingly live there again.
From the City Of Houston, thanks for not returning. Stay gone.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,430,587 times
I'll be moving away from Austin soon, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. I grew up in San Antonio, and San Antonians often talk about how San Antonio is the friendlier of the two cities. In the five years I've lived in the Austin area, I have been the beneficiary of multiple random acts of kindness that I never experienced in the nearly 30 years I lived in San Antonio. I also had the same state employers hire me in Austin that wouldn't hire me in San Antonio. I couldn't crack $30k per year in San Antonio, but I've had so many professional opportunities in Austin that eventually led to a federal government job in another city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityTodd View Post
I've lived with and sat in both, and Austin is significantly better than Houston for traffic. You won't find comparable traffic problems to Houston outside of places like LA or Atlanta or the like.
I have to disagree. When I traveled during rush hour in Houston, the traffic moved. I have to deal with the crawl and constant stopping in Austin every weekday morning and afternoon. There's even traffic on weekends now in the middle of the day. South side traffic is the worst because IH-35 only has three lanes there, and there is no other highway to take you north until you get to 71. Even then, you have to go out of your way to get to MoPac or 183. MoPac is another tiny highway, and 183 has lights. A 10-minute drive could easily turn into a 40-minute drive. Austin has a terribly inadequate highway system.

Last edited by L210; 04-05-2019 at 11:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,052,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
From the City Of Houston, thanks for not returning. Stay gone.
No wonder, did you live in the acres homes area. I would not want to go back there, or neither Willowbrook.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:28 AM

349 posts, read 258,772 times
Waco (The Brazos & Balcones Distillery)
Granbury (The Brazos & Revolver Brewery)
Luckenbach (Pop. 3 & Shiner Bock)

Old 04-14-2019, 07:42 PM

181 posts, read 640,300 times
San Antonio (few up there until age 16), Houston (moved here, but came to visit my Grandma as a kid) and Gonzales (lots of family between there, Shiner and Seguin, so went to visit frequently, spent many weekends there)

Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,413,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
San Antonio (few up there until age 16), Houston (moved here, but came to visit my Grandma as a kid) and Gonzales (lots of family between there, Shiner and Seguin, so went to visit frequently, spent many weekends there)
My grandmother was from Gonzales, TX! Are you my cousin? Her maiden name was Hawkins by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas