Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:44 PM

46 posts, read 112,732 times

Advertisements

*Cross posting from the Fort Worth page*

We are looking at moving our family from Reno, Nv to Texas fairly soon. DFW, and Waco are at the top of the list of where we want to put down roots. Admittedly, most of my knowledge of the area is the infamous standoff many years ago. From what research I have been able to do from here, it looks like cost of living is fairly low, seems like there is plenty of work, but the schools aren't the greatest (our son will be in the 7th grade by the time we move there, and he has a couple learning disabilities).
Can anyone give us a little insight?
How are the locals attitudes towards "outsiders"?
Am I reading into the school ranking too much?
Are there things to do there for small families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Fort Worth will probably be your better bet.

Depends on your line of work, but wages can be much lower in Waco than FTW.
Schools are going to be variant in both, but you'll have more support and more choice in FTW.
Both will be very accepting to "outsiders" - as long as you are friendly.
Small family is where FTW will take a significant edge, IMO, just more available to do.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:12 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoViking View Post
*Cross posting from the Fort Worth page*

We are looking at moving our family from Reno, Nv to Texas fairly soon. DFW, and Waco are at the top of the list of where we want to put down roots. Admittedly, most of my knowledge of the area is the infamous standoff many years ago. From what research I have been able to do from here, it looks like cost of living is fairly low, seems like there is plenty of work, but the schools aren't the greatest (our son will be in the 7th grade by the time we move there, and he has a couple learning disabilities).
Can anyone give us a little insight?
How are the locals attitudes towards "outsiders"?
Am I reading into the school ranking too much?
Are there things to do there for small families?
DFW is a clear winner. However, if job is in Waco is better, it can be an option. You can live in Midway ISD or go private. Housing and cost of living is less compared to DFW and you can build a good life there as well. There are wealthy people there who own huge ranches and expensive homes. Baylor University faculty and students are a sizeable demographic and Gaines have brought positive fame and some economic boost so Waco sure has improved, not whatever stereotype you have in mind as courtesy of the negative media. However, economy is slow and poverty is more visible than nice parts of DFW. Some folks actually prefer it over DFW as life is slow paced and you can easily drive to Austin, DFW etc if you need to.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:27 PM

167 posts, read 168,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
DFW is a clear winner. However, if job is in Waco is better, it can be an option. You can live in Midway ISD or go private. Housing and cost of living is less compared to DFW and you can build a good life there as well. There are wealthy people there who own huge ranches and expensive homes. Baylor University faculty and students are a sizeable demographic and Gaines have brought positive fame and some economic boost so Waco sure has improved, not whatever stereotype you have in mind as courtesy of the negative media. However, economy is slow and poverty is more visible than nice parts of DFW. Some folks actually prefer it over DFW as life is slow paced and you can easily drive to Austin, DFW etc if you need to.
Let me know whenever you have a kid attend school at a district office...

Until then, don't pimp an ISD.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
If you demand a slower, smaller place, Waco, ONLY if job offer is better than DFW. Waco may be "better" than past media news, but really, the "fixer upper show" has largely "blown" the "trendy" vibe for the Waco area, far far out of reality.

Likely for the needs of your child, the Fort Worth "area" would certainly have more options, and far more family activities nearby. Yes, Austin, within three or four years, when I-35 is expanded and has finished construction, "should" then be a nice short trip for you. NOT, until construction is finished lol. Just drove thru there yesterday, a mess !!

Old 05-14-2018, 06:20 PM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
i just retired and moved just west of Waco and find the people just amazing and dont listen to those who dont live hear about preconceived notion of waco - there are poor areas but they are easy to spot and by far there are more nicer places to live with little or no traffic and the people - so kind and friendly and helpful - yea calls and fort worth have nice things - but they also have traffic - rude and obniouxws people - cant get anywhere without taking half a day -

There are very fine schools ids in waco - come for a few days and look around - pm me if you want

Old 05-14-2018, 08:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,579,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i just retired and moved just west of Waco and find the people just amazing and dont listen to those who dont live hear about preconceived notion of waco - there are poor areas but they are easy to spot and by far there are more nicer places to live with little or no traffic and the people - so kind and friendly and helpful - yea calls and fort worth have nice things - but they also have traffic - rude and obniouxws people - cant get anywhere without taking half a day -

There are very fine schools ids in waco - come for a few days and look around - pm me if you want
Dude. Might seriously want to have a two drink limit on posting. This is gibberish.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
thanks for the kind words

Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM

28 posts, read 37,464 times
I lived in Waco for years until I had to move but will probably move back there someday. Waco is a great place. It has its down sides like every place, but there is plenty to do and lots of places to eat. Baylor University adds alot of activities....plays, college football, basketball etc. Midway, China Spring, Lorena, Robinson are all good schools in Waco.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:58 PM

32 posts, read 82,418 times
DFW, being larger, would have more job options, but Waco could be a good choice if a job is available. Waco is definitely growing, but it is always under the radar. It doesn't have the massive growth of some of the boom towns, but look at the recently released U.S. census estimates for 2016 to 2017 growth. Waco grew by over 3,000 which exceeded many larger cities. There is a lot of development downtown, triggered to some extent by the TV 'Fixer Upper' Magnolia Market, but I don't believe that is the only factor. The hotel occupancy rate is second highest is Texas, second only to Austin. Waco is a much better place to live than the negative stereotype views of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas