Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 03:43 PM

21 posts, read 76,850 times

Advertisements

Alrite I was on this forum before asking about Denton. I got a lot of info about it but i'm including it in this thread. Basically I want to move to Texas for grad school and beyond. I like warm summers and mild winters but I'm sick of living in Florida and Texas seems like it has a lot going for it. Plus I have spent some time in the state and really enjoy it. So I am considering four schools in four different cities. This thread will be about people telling me the positives and negatives (without getting nasty) about said cities. FYI I am going to school for Public Administration. Here are the schools and cities:

UNT in Denton (already info from the other thread)
UT Austin
UT Dallas
UT San Antonio

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
I'm a little partial to UT Austin because (1) I'm a Longhorn fan and (2) my brother went there and graduated from it. But UNT and UT Dallas won't be bad choices for what you want. All three have good graduate programs, so you shouldn't have any trouble. Our state's economy is doing great right now if you're looking for something part time while you're attending school. Any of those three places would work for you.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Probably UTSA would be best.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Probably UTSA would be best.
Apparently UTSA is very popular because it's a waystation to the big one in Austin. If you weren't excellent in high school but want to go to the headquarters in Austin, this is your chance. I encountered an article some time ago explaining the popularity of UTSA and the effect it had on their graduation stats.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 AM

21 posts, read 76,850 times
Thanks. I am going to grad school though so the way station concept doesn't apply haha. Also, while I am interested in the schools, I would also like info on those cities

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM

90 posts, read 472,011 times
If you get in to UT and it is financially viable for you, it is the best university on your list. There is no place like Austin. It is a place that has an ambiance all its own, which could not duplicated. I can not imagine a complete grad school experience better than UT in ATX.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,284 times
My wife and I graduated from UNT in Denton (we both started at other schools and transferred our sophomore year when we got married), and we loved living there. Denton has grown since we were there, but it is still a smaller city than Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas, but it is only thirty minutes or less to downtown Dallas and Fort Worth. I felt like all of the advantages of the DFW area were there without the traffic, congestion, etc. And, we loved UNT. We were not public administration majors, however. I currently teach in a university, and one of my colleagues is working on her doctorate at UNT and says many positive things about the graduate program, but she is majoring in curriculum and instruction. I have been proud to have my degree from UNT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas