Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,138,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I do have to say that when I met a copperhead on a path one day in the beaver ruins when I was little, we both jumped and turned and ran in opposite directions down the path.

Cottonmouths (aka water moccasins, depending on where you are, and in East Texas, cottonmouth water moccasin), now, they're another matter. If you enter their territory, they're nowhere near as likely to run and will defend that territory. Based on personal experience, both long ago and recent. There's nothing quite like watching a cottonmouth swimming aggressively towards the canoe you happen to be in on "its" lake. Or seeing one (as I did recently) just a couple of feet from your own foot (it faded into the mud around the horse watering tank it was next to during the recent drought - it gave me a warning and looked at me as if to say, "Put 'em up!" I made a judicious retreat).
I once again have to ask if you know the difference between a non-venomous watersnake (Nerodia spp) and a cottonmouth. Cottonmouths are not defensive whatsoever. Know what they do when they get bothered? They coil up, open their mouth and sit there, absolutely still, not moving a single muscle. Theyre about as defensive as a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 09:55 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,204,065 times
So, how do you define "messing with", Steve-o?

And what KIND of snakes have you stepped on and not been bitten, and how high and fast can you jump? And why the heck do you keep stepping on snakes if you love them so much?

And, yes, Steve-o, I do know the difference between a cottonmouth and a non-venomous watersnake - have since about the age of 5. I refer you to my description of my backyard full of jars of snakes when I was a child growing up on 800 acres, including an 80 acre lake, in the country in East Texas, specifically collected so that I COULD learn the difference and wouldn't pick up the wrong kind. Plus about 50-odd years of experience with them and the occasional researching about them since then. Plus my friends at the Nature Center and all of their information (yes, they do have a snake program so that kids can learn about snakes and that they're not all bad and what I learned, which ones you should keep a respectful difference from). You're not the only one who has a clue about snakes, after all.

Again, I'll take my personal experience with the critters over what you have to tell me. It seems wiser, and, actually, more respectful to the snakes that I encounter to take them at their own word and not yours.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,599,337 times
I agree with THL about the moccasins. I've also been taught about them and they are not docile. They don't tend to run, at least in my experience. My great grandfather and grandfather lived on a lake that tended to have quite a few water moccasins so I learned of all the snakes in that area, that those were the worst to have an encounter with and what type of vegetation to stay away from so that I could reduce my chances of running into a nest.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,791,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just reaffirming my statements....

YouTube - Herping with Dylan: Copperhead
Actually....? That IS messing with snakes...and it would have served him right to have gotten bitten! Grab me by the tail, I'd try to bite a plug out of you, LOL!!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:26 AM

28 posts, read 90,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I just can't help it, call me stupid, ignorant, whatever you please, I'm going to kill snakes that come onto my property. I keep plenty of mouse traps, rat posion, etc. on hand for those nasty rodents. You can keep and protect all the snakes that are on your property.
You say there's an evil around snakes. Do you get that from the creation story? Or just ophidiophobia?

In my opinion, there's something slightly evil (if not evil, then at least heartless and cold) about a person who will indescriminately kill a harmless animal.

Just because it isn't cute and cuddly doesn't mean it should be on Nature's Most Wanted- Shoot to Kill list.

Honestly...
*sigh*

Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, how do you define "messing with", Steve-o?

And what KIND of snakes have you stepped on and not been bitten, and how high and fast can you jump? And why the heck do you keep stepping on snakes if you love them so much?

And, yes, Steve-o, I do know the difference between a cottonmouth and a non-venomous watersnake - have since about the age of 5. I refer you to my description of my backyard full of jars of snakes when I was a child growing up on 800 acres, including an 80 acre lake, in the country in East Texas, specifically collected so that I COULD learn the difference and wouldn't pick up the wrong kind. Plus about 50-odd years of experience with them and the occasional researching about them since then. Plus my friends at the Nature Center and all of their information (yes, they do have a snake program so that kids can learn about snakes and that they're not all bad and what I learned, which ones you should keep a respectful difference from). You're not the only one who has a clue about snakes, after all.

Again, I'll take my personal experience with the critters over what you have to tell me. It seems wiser, and, actually, more respectful to the snakes that I encounter to take them at their own word and not yours.
Well, were you close enough to the cottonmouth to see its pupils? Differentiating a snake in the water (thats going through the locomotive serpentine motion) that looks remarkably similar to another snake is quite hard to do. At a distance, a banded watersnake would look very similar to some species of cottonmouth. Its only when you get real close can you tell, thats why I asked. Ill take your word for it, but its still tricky to those with a trained eye!

As far as stepping on snakes, it happens. I dont purposefully do it, and to assume such things is ludicrous. Ive stepped on garters, brown snakes, a racer and a rough earth snake while herping outdoors. Not only did they not bite me, or even attempt to, but two of them actually laid perfectly still hoping I wouldnt see them. The rough earthsnake took off in the other direction immediately after I stepped on it, and the garter did the same. The racer, in untypical racer fasion, sat there for a moment or two. It was only when I tried to hook him that he bolted.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyphonicSpr33 View Post
You say there's an evil around snakes. Do you get that from the creation story? Or just ophidiophobia?

In my opinion, there's something slightly evil (if not evil, then at least heartless and cold) about a person who will indescriminately kill a harmless animal.

Just because it isn't cute and cuddly doesn't mean it should be on Nature's Most Wanted- Shoot to Kill list.

Honestly...
*sigh*
Can I get an "AMEN"?!?!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,599,337 times
"indescriminately" being the operative word, I can agree with that too. Although, I wouldn't call someone evil for doing that. Maybe ignorant. Evil could be applied to potential serial killers who harm animals first though.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM

28 posts, read 90,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"indescriminately" being the operative word, I can agree with that too. Although, I wouldn't call someone evil for doing that. Maybe ignorant. Evil could be applied to potential serial killers who harm animals first though.
Note the qualifier of "if not evil, then heartless and cold."

Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,737,812 times
WOW! I would have never thought this much passion could be generated through a discussion on snakes. As I stated earlier I don't set out to kill anything, be it cute and cuddley or otherwise. I am not the great white hunter here, armed to the gills, out to wipe out entire species.

Now I'm thinking that it is a pity we can't all band together and channel some of this energy into solving many of the problems facing our country today. Who knows, with this much zeal and passion, we might be able to end hunger, homelessness, child abuse, the list goes on. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas