Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times

Advertisements

Two Texas colleges made this national list. However, writer forgot to mention that not only both colleges are more affordable than peers in their respective tiers, both of these colleges offer good merit based scholarships and income based aid as well. If we want to keep our local talent and attract outside talent here to help Texas economy, our colleges need to offer better value and higher standards.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/19/the-...s-of-2019.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 09:25 PM

638 posts, read 568,486 times
Default Top colleges by Corporate Recruiters

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...35563989873060

Old 07-30-2018, 06:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
It's good to see Texas A&M and Rice on the list. The solid job markets in the major Texas metros are likely to keep graduates of Texas universities in Texas after college. In theory, the alumni network that Texas A&M would have in Dallas and Houston would lead to a lot of alums getting jobs in those cities. Rice probably has a great alumni network in Houston.

I attended an out-of-state university. My university does have a Dallas alumni chapter, but I have been largely unimpressed with the chapter. I have been out of college for over a decade and I have not gotten a job from alumni networking.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Top recruited stats are skewed in favor of bigger colleges with higher number of students, it should show percentage to give an apple to apple comparision. You just can't compare numbers of a mammoth like UT with an exclusive but small school like Caltech.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It's good to see Texas A&M and Rice on the list. The solid job markets in the major Texas metros are likely to keep graduates of Texas universities in Texas after college. In theory, the alumni network that Texas A&M would have in Dallas and Houston would lead to a lot of alums getting jobs in those cities. Rice probably has a great alumni network in Houston.

I attended an out-of-state university. My university does have a Dallas alumni chapter, but I have been largely unimpressed with the chapter. I have been out of college for over a decade and I have not gotten a job from alumni networking.
Indeed. If you wish to work in Texas, its pays to attend a Texas school. All of them, specially UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor and SMU have strong alumni networks here and it helps in many ways.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Indeed. If you wish to work in Texas, its pays to attend a Texas school. All of them, specially UT, A&M, Rice, Baylor and SMU have strong alumni networks here and it helps in many ways.
The whole college decision is a tough one to make at 17. I don't think I did a good job in picking where I went to undergrad. I couldn't forecast that I would be living in Dallas when I was 17 & that I wouldn't be able to rely at all on an alumni network. Even before Dallas, I've gotten very little use out of my undergrad alumni network.

Some of the Texas schools might not have good alumni networks outside of Texas. UT has a pretty solid alumni network in most major U.S. cities. SMU's alumni network probably has limited effectiveness getting a finance or consulting job in New York City.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
TCU has a strong network in Texas as well. My husband was hired for his first job post-college by someone affiliated with the university (a school trustee) and he himself has hired multiple graduates. I know other people who have used the alumni network to their advantage.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 PM

638 posts, read 568,486 times
25 Colleges Preferred by Employers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas