U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM

100 posts, read 412,846 times

Advertisements

I undertstand what TexasNick is saying, about how those type of industries doesnt real BRING the social status of the residents out of poverty or what not but its better than NOT having those industries to get kids off the streets. Believe it or not those establishments are the reason why the crime rate has dropped a lot over the past 10 years. If you would've been in North McAllen in the mid-90s you wouldn't recognize it compared to what it looks like today. In fact some of the worser neighborhoods i.e. Mona Street and Shadowbrook, were in the North Side. But because of these industries establishing themselves, kids and teens who were pretty much making minimum wage selling drugs, saw that you can make a dollar more an hour working at the near by gas station and the best part about it was that it was safe with no life threatening risk involved.

I don't expect you to understand why we're so happy to see these establishments but you're not from where we're from. I'm sure a lot of Valley natives were like me, sick and tired of not feeling safe in their own neighborhood, I mean we didn't have burglar bars on our house for no reason. Let me just put it in a way one of the former drug dealers from my neighborhood put it - "I want to be able to make money without having to worry about getting shot and killed and if 7-11's going to allow me to do that, then that's what I'm going to do." So yes there is a lot to rejoice about and you can't tell us otherwise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM

49,978 posts, read 39,859,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
I undertstand what TexasNick is saying, about how those type of industries doesnt real BRING the social status of the residents out of poverty or what not but its better than NOT having those industries to get kids off the streets. Believe it or not those establishments are the reason why the crime rate has dropped a lot over the past 10 years. If you would've been in North McAllen in the mid-90s you wouldn't recognize it compared to what it looks like today. In fact some of the worser neighborhoods i.e. Mona Street and Shadowbrook, were in the North Side. But because of these industries establishing themselves, kids and teens who were pretty much making minimum wage selling drugs, saw that you can make a dollar more an hour working at the near by gas station and the best part about it was that it was safe with no life threatening risk involved.

I don't expect you to understand why we're so happy to see these establishments but you're not from where we're from. I'm sure a lot of Valley natives were like me, sick and tired of not feeling safe in their own neighborhood, I mean we didn't have burglar bars on our house for no reason. Let me just put it in a way one of the former drug dealers from my neighborhood put it - "I want to be able to make money without having to worry about getting shot and killed and if 7-11's going to allow me to do that, then that's what I'm going to do." So yes there is a lot to rejoice about and you can't tell us otherwise.

Point well taken. Any jobs in any place are better than no jobs at all. People do move to different places for a reason, and the Valley is not an exception. If the jobs are there, people will find a reason to make a living in the Rio Grande Valley. There's an economy there that most people don't see. And that's a good thing.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 PM

100 posts, read 412,846 times
Also just to give you an idea of how much things have changed in the North Side for the better take a look at the pictures provided by rgv17_956 (2nd Page), preferably pictures 5-7. Thats the North Side now but back in the mid to late-90s it looked a lot closer to these pictures I have here. The first one is around '98/99 from the Shadowbrook neighborhood and the second a more recent picture from Mona Street. Also Shadowbrook used to have a handful of uninhabited houses that had broken windows and graffiti on them but over the past 5 years with establishment of businesses in the area and city intervention the neighborhood cleaned up a lot. You can still see some remnants of the old graffiti in certain areas of the neighborhood even though it had been painted over but it definitely improved a lot and now isn't a crime neighborhood anymore. The same goes for Mona Street, although the crime in the South Side has stayed pretty much the same there has been, at least I've seen, slight improvements, but it's only a matter of time.
Attached Thumbnails
McAllen's "Changing Face"-sbrook.jpg   McAllen's "Changing Face"-northmcallen.jpg  

Last edited by elvalle_mayne; 05-28-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,491 times
Hey!I live in McAllen,TX!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,172,944 times
One issue McAllen/RGV has is the following: UTPA, which is predominately composed of locals, is a factory for producing Spanish speaking, college educated individuals that move to Houston, San Antonio or another state. Those UTPA grads that stay almost always become teachers. One of the highest paying jobs in the Valley is teaching. If this does not change, McAllen and the rest of the Valley will spin its wheels indefinitely.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM

44 posts, read 108,906 times
Question moving to Texas soon !

Hi all , I will be moving to Texas soon and i have reading these posts but they all seem to be old , I was wondering if anyone can advise me which is best : Mcallen, Mission, Harlingen, Edinburg. ... I know there "has " to be crimes come on crimes now a days are like everywhere .. At this point I am in Puerto Rico and talk about crimes, drugs, shooting, etc this is something that goes on everyday ! My daughters friend got shot and killed in Nov. only 19 yrs old. in a pub in the public eye of over 100 people , and i live in a small town up in the mountians where these kinda things never happened before.
Anyways i am a person that likes to mind her own business,friendly and will help any one that needs my help if it is posible.
I was looking into buying a foreclosure home, and when i mentioned to my sister that lives in Florida she was like those foreclosure homes are in "ghettos" i know that can NOT be true ( i want to move to Texas so bad)
I regret soooooooo bad mentioning my move to my "high class" sister
I want a house that has a lot of land and a realestate agent sent me a list of a home in weslaco i LOVED the home not because the home was nice or anything BUT because of the HUGE yard that it had .... I want a home with a HUGE yard,yet in a nice safe place . Can some one here advise me which area is nicer and safer Mission, Edinburg, Harlingen, Waslaco, or Mcallen. I want to be close to Mexico ( always wanted to visit Mexico) and i want a place where the weather won;t punish me with snow thats why i prefer the plcaes i mentioned. Lived in Mass. too long saw snow blizzards etc saw it all don;t want no more.
Lived in Florida it is TOO $$$$$$$$ there nice but $$$$
I hope some one can advise me BUT be honest tell me all tell me like it is . DON:T hide anything.
I have a 4 yr old daughter and a 17 yr old that will be moving with me and my husband. My oldest daughter well she's not looking forward to moving to Texas she prefers the wild crazy life here ......but IF she was to go she is 18 and is a LPN here (with out a job though) and she has a son that will turn 1 yr old this month ! Jobs here are sooooooooo dificult to come by no matter what the newspapers say. Please some one out there advise your soon to be TEXAS neighbor !
Don't forget about me PLEASE !

Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Question pics..... please

Oh i forgot ..... LOVED the pics that someone posted here, of Mcallen . Is there some where i can find more pics...... ???? i would love that !
Thanx in advance your soon to be Texas neighbor

Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 3,585,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeslide View Post
Hey!I live in McAllen,TX!
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing that with us.
well ....... what can you tell me about Mcallen ????? Is edinburg close to mcallen ???? talk to me

Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM

9,600 posts, read 15,172,944 times
If you are looking for a lot of property, I'd definitely choose Edinburg over Weslaco. Weslaco is nice, but it's away from all the action. You can get huge properties for cheap in northern Edinburg that are close to 281 (the highway that leads back into town). The job market is very bleak for college educated professionals. If you are an outsider, it's even worse. Unemployment is at about 10 percent right now and will likely hit 15 percent by the end of the year in that area. If you are in health care, you should be able to find a job pretty easily.
Education wise, I suggest avoiding the regular public schools and sending your kids to IDEA Charter. There are a lot of nice properties near Quest Academy, which is a part of IDEA Charter. I get lambasted on here all the time for spouting off my opinions in regards to Valley education. As someone that taught in the Valley who also had many in-law relatives graduate from Valley schools from one side of the Valley to the other I can tell you the public schools are not good. Unfortunately, the school districts are generally more concerned about finding their buddies jobs and taking advantage of tax payer money as opposed to educating the children.
If you want to know anything else, let me know. Send me a direct message. I will be much more honest than a lot of those who respond to McAllen threads that defend the Valley at all costs. Think about it. They wouldn't be so vehemently defending the Valley if it was a perfect, Lake Wobegon kind of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or