U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,675,879 times

Advertisements

Only buy if you're planning on staying or, if you anticipate moving, are willing to rent the house and have someone there who will check on your property. This is from experience. My former home in the RGV was lovely, updated, and in a great, desirable neighborhood. It sat on the market for a long time, buyers who were interested couldn't qualify for loans, I couldn't wait any longer and ended up having the bank take it back. When I saw what they eventually sold it for, my heart sank -- $40,000 less than its appraised value!

There aren't enough people there with good salaries and good credit to buy existing homes. Those who do make good money are going to custom build. So, if you buy, plan on staying, renting it out, or taking a beating.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM

44 posts, read 108,919 times
WOW sorry to hear that, i;m oretty sure it hurt bad! anyways i am disabled and basically live on social security thats why i am looking for an affordable foreclosure home. My cousin moved there (i just found out today) and she said she bought a nice home in weslaco and that it is a nice place. I think she said she paid $60,000.00 fr the house. She;s been there for several months now (her husband is in the Navy and seems he got based there) My cousin did mention to me that weslaco was an isolated place and that it was quite boring. I think i will stick to Mcallen, and do a research on Edinburg.
I live in Puerto Rico now for 6 yrs ( and i am goin outta my mind here ) and i have just about seen it all , properties vandalized while people sleep in the homes and cars stolen from your carport, this is an everyday thing. Thanks God i give that it has NOT happened to me and i hope it doesn't. I remember when we first arrived here there was a group of IDIOTS that decided to make our lives miserable just cause we were not from here,it was bad so bad that my husband ended up fighting with them in the streets just about everyday for about 2 months. Police department did NOTHING .I always told my husband that i prefer the states because people tend to respect others. I was boen and raised in Lowell Mass. then i moved to Florida and crimes did happen just like in any other place but here it's like a wild jungle !To make it even more stupid my husband is Puerto Rican and basically his own people wanted him out.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:24 AM

146 posts, read 484,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgv17_956 View Post
some photos of McAllen =]

I dont see what is so bad with having strip centers. What would you rather have nothing. People always complain about how there ugly and dont really do anything. I think that some are real nice looking and dont know why some people dont want new stores to go to.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM

5,638 posts, read 14,417,610 times
Personally, I'd prefer no strip centers to having strip centers that make the area look like another run-down Bangladesh.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:47 AM

108 posts, read 332,568 times

Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenushka View Post
WOW sorry to hear that, i;m oretty sure it hurt bad! anyways i am disabled and basically live on social security thats why i am looking for an affordable foreclosure home.
Oh dear, you're in the same boat as I am. I moved AWAY from the Valley so I could live on what I receive from SS Disability and get better health care! The property taxes and home insurance rates were killing me there. Plus, health care was a lot more expensive and difficult for me because many of the health care providers don't speak good English.

I wish you all of the best.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Default wherr r u now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Oh dear, you're in the same boat as I am. I moved AWAY from the Valley so I could live on what I receive from SS Disability and get better health care! The property taxes and home insurance rates were killing me there. Plus, health care was a lot more expensive and difficult for me because many of the health care providers don't speak good English.

I wish you all of the best.
hey then where r u now? hmmmmmmmmm dont know how you could actually let everything just go, i mean you do know that there is help for people like us.... (disabled) there are agencies that can help. Its sad that you lost it all ,and being disabled wow pretty rough ....... i feel for you.
you do know that texas has 2 different SS checks right ? (one is called SSI and then you have the regular ss check. ALSO i am pretty sure that there are foodstamps there ( i know no one wants to get them but hey if it is an emergency then you need to. plus there has to be welfare office, what i am saying hun is that you should of done what eva you had to and apply for what eva assistance you needed to so you wouldn't loose your house. i mean knock on all doors and i am sure one of those doors would have a helping hand for you. Gee i dont know what to say ......i didn't know

Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenushka View Post
hey then where r u now? hmmmmmmmmm dont know how you could actually let everything just go, i mean you do know that there is help for people like us.... (disabled) there are agencies that can help. Its sad that you lost it all ,and being disabled wow pretty rough ....... i feel for you.
you do know that texas has 2 different SS checks right ? (one is called SSI and then you have the regular ss check. ALSO i am pretty sure that there are foodstamps there ( i know no one wants to get them but hey if it is an emergency then you need to. plus there has to be welfare office, what i am saying hun is that you should of done what eva you had to and apply for what eva assistance you needed to so you wouldn't loose your house. i mean knock on all doors and i am sure one of those doors would have a helping hand for you. Gee i dont know what to say ......i didn't know
I moved to Abilene and am very happy here. Yep, I can get disability services here -- just try getting services in the RGV! You would have to stand in line behind all of the illegal immigrants and the migrant workers and the funding runs out WAY before your name would approach even the middle of the list!

And, yes, I'm well aware of the Social Security programs. I am seriously disabled with at least a half-dozen of qualifying conditions so I was approved for SSD VERY quickly. I'm not complaining about the money I receive at all -- I'm very grateful for it -- but it's less than half what I was bringing home when I was working so I had to adjust.

Insurances and tax rates in the Valley are much higher than what I am currently paying and but it burned my buns to have to pay high school taxes to accommodate thousands of illegal immigrants and high car insurance rates because of the number of illegal immigrant drivers and high percentage of people there who don't carry insurance. NO WAY am I going to help fund their interests at the expense of my own.

Anyone who is looking to get by via welfare benefits best think twice before moving to Texas. This is a fiscally conservative state. (I'm not complaining -- I'm glad, actually.) The income limits for food stamps, welfare, and Medicaid are VERY LOW, as are the benefits. When I became disabled, I cut my cost of living drastically so I could manage on my SSD. I don't get food stamps, Medicaid, etc. I don't believe I'd qualify even if I decided to apply.

I KNOW I wouldn't qualify for Medicaid because I did inquire while I was waiting for Medicare to start. The income limit for an adult to receive Medicaid is very low. There are programs to cover children but not adults. The Texas Department of Aging and Disability does, however, have a housekeeper coming twice a week to help me and I'm very grateful for that service!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Exclamation government assistance for the disabled

R u serious?????? i mean how can that be??? i understand that disabled persons have priority in many government assistances. Now i am wondering i was told that as soon as i got there i had to get in contact with the SS office to apply then for SSI ( in PR they don;t have SSI benefits) so this would be new. I KNOW that i am entitled to a better SS check BUT being in PR thats NOT gonna happen!. Also i don;t get what you said about food stamps, i mean you have to be legal to apply and don;t understand what you say about the funds running out before your name is up it doesn;t make sense ........
I don;t mean to be rude or anything like that in any way BUT i think you had a bad experience maybe your disability's made it harder for you to get your things done and to get the assitance that you are entitled to.... cause to me it don;t make sense ( please don;t get me wrong) I tried send you a private BUT i couldn;t... (couldn;t find the private button)
But i do have more questions for you but prefer NOT to post here where everyone can read it.
Anyways , whats do you think about Brownsville ?? is it better than Mcallen??? let me know !

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM

Nenushka, no, my diseases have not made me mentally incompetent. Besides that, I have a medical social worker through home health who reviews the programs, applies for me, and follows up with the agencies. I also called the Governor's Office helpline for advice and the Governor's Office assigned me an ombudsman to help me.

No, I really don't want to share any more of my personal information, either privately or in the forum. All I can tell you is to do a lot of research and make a lot of phone calls to agencies so you have good information. If you need to live in a state that provides you with a bevy of social services, Texas isn't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or