Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Then you are not a local. So to be helpful and in your thread, maybe you should clarify your question.
IMHO, I've lived in Texas all my life, never heard it referred to as that. Most locals of towns, don't like the shortened-hyphenated names "OUTSIDERS" give to their towns. case in point, Most people from San Antonio don't like "San Antone" unless it's in a song.
I like it personally.

I would bet there are more guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 02:30 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Tons of locals to San Angelo call it 'Angelo', so not sure the malfunction here, other than we have identified a bunch of people who have never spent any time there but are sure they have some amount of knowledge to share about it.

However, San Angelo is at best 50/50 males to females. If you want an area in the west with more females, then Lubbock or San Marcos would be better choices. The colleges, even Angelo State, are very small and not significant portions of the city population and have a short reach and small impact.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Tons of locals to San Angelo call it 'Angelo', so not sure the malfunction here, other than we have identified a bunch of people who have never spent any time there but are sure they have some amount of knowledge to share about it.

However, San Angelo is at best 50/50 males to females. If you want an area in the west with more females, then Lubbock or San Marcos would be better choices. The colleges, even Angelo State, are very small and not significant portions of the city population and have a short reach and small impact.
ONE more time. No need to guess the ratio of male to female here on the responses as "guesses" City Data on HERE the DATA, get DATA base has the listing for every town/city in the state. I still don't get this DISCUSSION? I'm still being nasty, shame on me, Flip Wilson you to say, the "Devil MADE me do it", actually my O.C.D. made ME do it. lol

Old 08-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
No need to guess the ratio of male to female here on the responses as "guesses" City Data on HERE the DATA, get DATA base has the listing for every town/city in the state
The overall ratio of males to females that is represented by city data isn't necessarily helpful, unless the OP is considering every single female in the area as potential dating material, which might anger some of them and their husbands and might involve an age range that even Anna Nicole Smith might find objectionable.

If he was trying to sell them products it's good enough.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:09 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The overall ratio of males to females that is represented by city data isn't necessarily helpful, unless the OP is considering every single female in the area as potential dating material, which might anger some of them and their husbands and might involve an age range that even Anna Nicole Smith might find objectionable.

If he was trying to sell them products it's good enough.

I see, then there is just, "your GUESS is as good as my GUESS". lol Where would you really find AVAILABLE male to female ratio.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Where would you really find AVAILABLE male to female ratio.

From the census demographics, which includes married ratios and age ratios, but doing that analysis and not getting paid for it is not going to happen. So we can use proxies to estimate, which is exactly what I did. Angelo State (a good enough proxy for women aged 18-25 and in that demographic most are unmarried) has a 55% female ratio, with about 900 more women than men. But Texas State U in San Marcos has 4000 more females than males. Of course plenty of those will be dating/married/whatever but statistically plenty of them will be single.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:03 PM

65 posts, read 217,909 times
I lived there for 4 years and return often. I have never once heard anyone refer to it simply as "angelo". I'm sure it happens, but is not common among locals, or anyone really.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
My first time for hearing it too. Perhaps the OP drops the San on all the towns in TX for some reason (maybe thinking it makes him appear to be more familiar with the places than he really is). He could just as well refer to San Marcos as Marcos or San Saba as Saba, etc. for all we know. I'm not trying to be mean, but in my opinion doing this makes a person look more like a wannabe Texan than the real deal. It's one thing to taper off a word by dropping the last syllable to being a whole different ballgame when alternating the name of a town or place by deleting the first word out of it's two-word name. Again, just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas