Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 10,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are retired and looking to relocate to Texas. Thinking of the mostly Mid to Eastern part, DFW to Waco and east. Not really considering the southern or coastal areas of Texas, at this point.

Ive been doing a lot of reading on City-Data about Texas and have learned quite a bit, thank you. Was wondering if I could hear from anyone who may be familiar with the area east and south of DFW area. I'm thinking of Quinlan, to Farmersville, and McKinney, to Greenville and beyond.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I lived in Texas when I was in 8th grade for a short period of time, while my Dad was serving in Vietnam. I have only vague memories of that time, really.

My husband and I will be coming out to the area in about 4 weeks just to check out the different small towns. We are also thinking of Waco area. Although I have been introduced to many other possibilities thru this forum, again thanks.

Any insight will be helpful. Not really interested in the big cities, don't need to commute daily to a job.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:48 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
What's your budget for housing? Do you want acreage or just a house in town? Do you want to be close to cultural activities, or other retirees?

Be careful in Quinlan. There are a lot of drug problems out there, especially around Lake Tawakoni. The schools are pretty bad, so most families stay away.
Greenville is a little better, but not much. The hospital there does not have a good reputation, and it has a hard time getting doctors. If you need healthcare, you'll do much better in Rockwall

Old 09-07-2018, 05:41 PM

Thank you Christie! This is just the kind of info that helps with a decision. I kind of know about the hospital in Greenville. And so we were reluctant to consider it, but I see that in the small towns the medical needs are not always met as easily as a larger town.

Our budget is around $200K. Not really wanting acreage as much as a large lot, between 1/2 to 1 acre. Would love to be in an area that has activities, cultural as well as physical (somewhat). After living in a city that has 2 seasons, hot and not so hot, would relish 3 or 4 actual seasons. Don't mind a little snow even. I paint so beautiful landscapes are a plus.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 PM

That budget is going to be tough anywhere close to DFW, especially wanting a larger than normal lot. The DFW area's huge sprawl is as large as the state of Connecticut, and it sprawls more every year. If you stay away from Collin and Rockwall Counties, you will probably have more choices. Hunt, Fannin and Kaufman Counties will give you a little more to work with in your price range. So will Van Zandt and Henderson Counties.

One option out in the rural counties is manufactured housing, or a mobile home. That would be a more affordable option for you, and many mobile home companies work with land brokers who will sell 1 acre lots, too. If you want to explore this option, I'd recommend buying new rather than pre-owned. The financing on a manufactured house is like a car, not like a site-built home, and they do depreciate over time.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Will consider that option. Thanks

Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 AM

I have read a couple of threads on the Waco area that were a few years old. Are there updates anyone can add? Is the I35 work finished around Waco? And, yes, Fixer Upper first put Texas in general and Waco in particular, on our list of states to check out. So a list of the pros and cons of Waco and the area would be helpful. I also read a lot about Tyler and am curious about the differences between the two, good and bad. Thanks so much, this really helps us make an informed decision.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Waco Pro: Fixer Upper/Magnolia stuff. It has brought a lot of tourism and life into what used to be a rather unremarkable town. Baylor University provides a lot of cultural activities. Between Waco and Temple, there are very good hospitals in the region. Cost of living is lower than DFW area.

Waco Con: There are lots of good reasons Chip and Joanna were able to find so many cheap and run-down houses to renovate in and and around Waco. Yes, the I35 construction continues to the south of Waco, and a little within the city limits.

Tyler is VERY popular with retirees. It has very good hospitals. There's more natural beauty in East Texas since it has the piney woods and dogwood blooms in the spring.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanks Christie! We are excited about our upcoming trip to your state. And with this info and impressions from others, we can make a decision that we wont come to regret....I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas