Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...southwest.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 07:19 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,260,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Both. Texas is a vast, diverse, state. You can't put us in a box!
You kind of can though, other states also don't fit perfectly into one region or another. States like Idaho and Montana have parts that fit more in the PNW and other parts that fit in the Mountain West. Western New York is part of the rust belt and has more in common with Ohio than it does with downstate. Is NC part of the South, Appalachia, or the coast. (answer, all the above)

I think it's a great question to think about, I would definitely consider Dallas, Houston and the eastern part of the state to be part of the south as you go west it gradually, becomes the south west, I used the tree line as a rough line.

"I just don't think Dallas feels all that southern" - lots of people.

True, Dallas as a major hub for transplants and doesnt feel as "Southern" as the Deep South, but where else would you place the culture?

It isn't a western culture, it isn't a Midwestern Culture, and it isn't a north eastern culture. Yes, I know it's "Texan" but that doesn't have a precise definition. If anything these cities are Southern in the "Texas way."

You can't be this far south, have statues of confederate generals (and schools and roads and museums), eat southern food like fried okra, pecans etc, have a history of segregation, (and before that slaves), have a long history of Baptists of the Southern persuasion and owe your very existence to cotton fields and not be in the south. Sure, places up north have one of two of these features, but over all, the culture is Southern.

Just because Atlanta feels "More southern" than Dallas doesn't mean Dallas isn't southern. Chicago is very different from the Twin Cities, but no one questions the Midwesterness of the two, even if Chicago has a stronger southern influence from the great migration, it's still a midwestern city.

Likewise, just because Dallas has had folks move down here from all over the place, and just because the "Southerness" doesn't feel as strong as it does in the deep south, doesn't change that Dallas is southern.

Now West Texas? Thats a different story.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
France - is it really part of Germany, or of Spain?
Thats a poor comparison, everyone knows France is in Western Europe.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Texas is Texas. We're not obsessed with and caught up with regional identifications and labels. Texas is independently located and minded. It is what it is.

The state contains too many regions to simplistically reduce the whole state to one area. It's dumb to even attempt that.
I've never been anywhere MORE obsessed with regional identifications and labels.

I've never been anywhere so obsessed with itself. This is literally the only place I've ever been where people will tell you they prefer to "Stay in Texas" if you want to go on a trip or camping or whatever, even if it means driving further within the state itself for a less impressive destination.

While the State does cross different regions of the country (high plains, South, South West) Texas is the only state I've visited (besides Alaska) that claims to be it's own region unto itself.

To quote you "Texas is Texas." The bonds of this arbitrary boundary are such that People in El Paso will relate to people in Tyler on the "Texasness" of things even if they clearly live in very different regions of the country, but within the Texas border.

More than a few people will tell you that Texas isn't the South West or South, Texas is Texas, a region unto itself. This is fascinating because it would be a region only based on very oddly shaped political boundaries and the political history, not geographical similarity or even proximity.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Thats a poor comparison, everyone knows France is in Western Europe.
The point of my frequent rejoinder to these tiresome questions, is that Texas is neither the South, nor the Southwest.

OF COURSE, anyone can clearly see that the eastern part of the state has similarities to the Deep South, and anyone can clearly see that the western part of the state has similarities to the desert Southwest. And OF COURSE everyone realizes that climate and geographical features don't follow political boundaries.

But the culture of East Texas, I would submit, is different than the culture of Mississippi; and the culture of West Texas, I would submit, is different than the culture of New Mexico. The fact that Texas has a distinct history and patterns of settlement that are different than the history and patterns of settlements of the states surrounding it has given it a distinct cultural character that is its own.

Hence my comment about France, Germany, and Spain. Anyone knows that a town 1 km on the French side of the Spanish border, and a town 1 km on the Spanish side, are going to be very very similar; but that does not negate the fact that France, Germany, and Spain have very distinct histories and cultures.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
is fascinating because it would be a region only based on very oddly shaped political boundaries and the political history, not geographical similarity or even proximity.
And your point would be?

Of course it is based on history and patterns of settlement!

Have you never been to Florida? Miami is highly Cuban. Southern Fla. on both sides is basically a mixture of New York and Boston, culturally speaking. Western Florida is Gulf Coast southern, culturally.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Just check all of the boxes, move on, and don't worry about it.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The point of my frequent rejoinder to these tiresome questions, is that Texas is neither the South, nor the Southwest.

OF COURSE, anyone can clearly see that the eastern part of the state has similarities to the Deep South, and anyone can clearly see that the western part of the state has similarities to the desert Southwest. And OF COURSE everyone realizes that climate and geographical features don't follow political boundaries.

But the culture of East Texas, I would submit, is different than the culture of Mississippi; and the culture of West Texas, I would submit, is different than the culture of New Mexico. The fact that Texas has a distinct history and patterns of settlement that are different than the history and patterns of settlements of the states surrounding it has given it a distinct cultural character that is its own.

Hence my comment about France, Germany, and Spain. Anyone knows that a town 1 km on the French side of the Spanish border, and a town 1 km on the Spanish side, are going to be very very similar; but that does not negate the fact that France, Germany, and Spain have very distinct histories and cultures.
To be part of the south you don't have to be part of the Deep South. Eastern Texas, up to about Dallas, is part of the south, it isn't "Similar to the south" it has real historical and cultural ties to the south, it is located in the geographical south.

No, Eastern Texas isn't the same as Mississippi, but Chicago and Iowa are different too, but they can both be part of the midwest.

Yeah, but with France, Germany, and Spain, you have significant historical, cultural, and linguistic differences on a scale you don't find between any US state an another.

Also a large part of the similarity between towns on different sides of the French and Spanish border is due to a 3rd culture, the Basque, who don't have their own state, but who predate the modern people in France and Spain by thousands of years who live in the border region.

Also, you have a literal mountain range between the two countries, as in a real physical barrier. You don't get that in Texas, it's a more gradual transition from the South to the west as you get less rain and trees, less traditional southern crops and it transitions into the west.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
You kind of can though, other states also don't fit perfectly into one region or another. States like Idaho and Montana have parts that fit more in the PNW and other parts that fit in the Mountain West. Western New York is part of the rust belt and has more in common with Ohio than it does with downstate. Is NC part of the South, Appalachia, or the coast. (answer, all the above)

I think it's a great question to think about, I would definitely consider Dallas, Houston and the eastern part of the state to be part of the south as you go west it gradually, becomes the south west, I used the tree line as a rough line.

"I just don't think Dallas feels all that southern" - lots of people.

True, Dallas as a major hub for transplants and doesnt feel as "Southern" as the Deep South, but where else would you place the culture?

It isn't a western culture, it isn't a Midwestern Culture, and it isn't a north eastern culture. Yes, I know it's "Texan" but that doesn't have a precise definition. If anything these cities are Southern in the "Texas way."

You can't be this far south, have statues of confederate generals (and schools and roads and museums), eat southern food like fried okra, pecans etc, have a history of segregation, (and before that slaves), have a long history of Baptists of the Southern persuasion and owe your very existence to cotton fields and not be in the south. Sure, places up north have one of two of these features, but over all, the culture is Southern.

Just because Atlanta feels "More southern" than Dallas doesn't mean Dallas isn't southern. Chicago is very different from the Twin Cities, but no one questions the Midwesterness of the two, even if Chicago has a stronger southern influence from the great migration, it's still a midwestern city.

Likewise, just because Dallas has had folks move down here from all over the place, and just because the "Southerness" doesn't feel as strong as it does in the deep south, doesn't change that Dallas is southern.

Now West Texas? Thats a different story.
You kind of can't though. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You kind of can't though. Thanks.
It can though. Though it's a transitional area, the eastern part of the state is absolutely southern, and the western in absolutely south western. Both are "Texan" which is more of a political/cultural identity than anything else. They don't need to be identical to other southern and western states for this to be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas