Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:41 PM

7 posts, read 33,192 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in the Panhandle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,862 times
Onalaska is a wonderful, small town in the Piney Woods (East Texas)

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 53,682 times
I currently live just North of Dallas in Plano. Even though I was raised in Plano, I really hate being in the city now. My husband and I bought a weekend home in Pottsboro up by Lake Texoma and we love it there. In fact, we have decided to move up there full time next month. I am so excited!! I love it there! I find small towns very appealing. I love that my kids are going to be in schools where there is about 100 kids per grade. There were 2500 in my graduating class in Plano and I love that my kids will know all the people they go to school with. My daughter is starting the 2nd grade this year and my son will be in K. I love that I have to drive 15 minutes to get to the nearest walmart (and thats not because of traffic). I love everything about this town and I am very happy that we are moving there. Whitesboro is also a nice town on Lake Texoma. I had a friend that moved there when I was in high school and I loved going to visit her and always wished my family would move to a small town like that. Now I get to do it with my own family and I am psyched!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM

415 posts, read 2,333,642 times
I too want a small town, I was raised in El Paso TX, currently living and working in Columbia SC, looking to retire in about 10 years. My wife and I are making a trip to Coleman TX, to look at property to but for our retirement. small town of about 5000 and from what I have found on the net seems very quaint. we are looking forward to checking it out in person. Love the fact we can use the net for a preview, but I am sure seeing it in person and feeling the atmosphere will make a big difference

Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 14,670 times
I really like the Nacogdoches/Lufkin area, nice little quiet towns

Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM

45 posts, read 128,938 times
I live in the Panhandle. Dumas, about 45 miles North of Amarillo. Population around 13,000. Great place to live!

Old 08-19-2007, 10:10 PM

320 posts, read 296,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
Can anyone tell me some of the nice small towns in Texas?

We are moving and Texas is on our list, but we want a small town with lots of outdoor activities and an active mentality. Within 2 hours to an international airport, safe, and away from tornados. Any thoughts???
You might want to put Lufkin, TX on your list. It's one and a half hours from a major international airport in Houston. The town is about 37,000-40,000 people according to city planners, and it's growing economically. Good location, good rec activities, good home buying potential.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I am a folk music fan. Was at the Kerrville folk festival. Loved the town- had great Texas BBQ down the street from the Hastings book/CD store(the name of the place escapes me- it was many moons back.) Friendly town. Great BBQ.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM

70 posts, read 125,634 times
I'll have to agree with some other posts regarding Lufkin/Nacogdoches and the Piney Woods in general. I went to college down there at SFA and thought that I would hate it, but I went becuase SFA was one of the cheapest schools in the state. Well, to my surprise, I really enjoyed my time there as it was so much different from life in Dallas. Much more recreation, although this was a college town and lots of barnhouse parties, ect.

I was a history major though and that is one reason why I believe that Nacogdoches appealed to me. True, there were the rednecks and such, but they were genuinely friendly for the most part and the people were the salt of the earth, so to speak. Love the forests down there. Drive on U.S. 59 between Jacksonville and Rusk. Gorgeous! Ride the Texas State Railroad to Palestine and back to Rusk through the woods. I'm so glad the Legislature stepped in and saved it from closure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas