U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2018, 12:28 PM
 
179 posts, read 127,303 times
Reputation: 172

Advertisements

Okay y'all as a native Texan I've spent more time than I should on these forums and message boards than whats healthy.What I keep coming across from time to time is how much of an anti Texas/Texans slant this forum can be,and I gotta admit there is some truth to it although I've never run into myself posting.At any rate,i felt the need to ask this question to my fellow Texans/Texans-at-heart because I feel this conversation needs to take place.Lets keep it civil,lets keep it clean.Peace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2018, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,091 posts, read 2,911,532 times
Reputation: 8516
Every state that’s polarizing has this issue on this forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2018, 03:31 PM
 
Location: 78745
4,064 posts, read 3,407,518 times
Reputation: 7189
The Texas Forum and Austin Forum, they seem to get mostly favorable posts, being that the vast majority of the posts are submitted by Austin-area-ites and Texans.

I think the Politics Forum and City vs City forum is where people will be talking the most trash about Texas and Austin.

Can't say about the other Texas city sub-forums since I don't follow them all that much.

Actually, it seems to me like California, Florida, Illinois, and New Jersey takes a worse beating in City-Data Forums than Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
19,890 posts, read 30,326,880 times
Reputation: 11192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

Actually, it seems to me like California, Florida, Illinois, and New Jersey takes a worse beating in City-Data Forums than Texas.
in the city vs city, Texas is easily more disliked than those states. Reason, at least for the first three, those states have cities that most people admire and for NJ, the fact that it's next to Philly and NYC gives it a pass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:08 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
4,014 posts, read 2,518,246 times
Reputation: 4744
I think there are alot of reasons for this, some of them are fair, some of them are not.

Firstly, Texas is a "flyover" state. It isn't just a flyover state, it's the largest, most populated state to swing red. We have the Bushes etc. Texas doesn't fly under the radar like alot of the western great plains states, so a certain amount of the hate is directed at the biggest target, that is Texas.

Secondly, Texans like to make themselves a big target by being loud. My friend from Conn, was laughing about how New Yorkers and Texans are the two most annoying groups of people to talk about where they live. It isn't wrong.

Thirdly, While we have large liberal cities, they don't show well. I remember the first time I flew into Dallas 9 years ago for college visits and the drive from the Airport down 183 was the ugliest drive I had made in my life. I liked the people and school, so I came here anyway but man, was it ugly.

I remember being totally unimpressed by downtown, which we visited during that time. I was expecting a "Big city" experience like the times I had been to Seattle or Denver or Chicago, but instead there were very tall buildings, but less people walking around than back in Boise's downtown.

Yes, we have made MASSIVE strides in this department, but still Dallas and Houston remain pretty underwhelming as places to visit and are very disappointing for the 4th and 5th largest metro areas respectively.

The first time I visited Houston was equity unimpressive.

My guides during my visited were from Katy and Plano respectively but knew basically nothing about the center cities. I know alot more about Dallas than tons of metroplex natives. I've even found I know more about Houston than some natives of the greater Houston area.

I really like both cities now of course, but you need a knowledgeable guide to show you around if you visit, and even then, it's a way better place to live than visit.

Add to all of this that the natural setting isn't that great. Phoenix is even more architecturally boring than DFW or Houston but they have the mountains. The only parts of Texas that are worth traveling any great distance to see from a natural beauty point of view (The I'll buy a flight, check my backpack and hike for a week when I arrive spots) will require you to travel several hours from the big cities.


Basically in summery, Texans talk a big game about Texas, People visit and aren't impressed, and Texas yell about Texas even more loudly in respond to that to the point where they look silly talking about how they don't care what other people think, but actually, they really do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,887 posts, read 41,546,240 times
Reputation: 24507
Lots of people need someone or somewhere or something to be prejudiced against and are really addicted to their stereotypes. Some of them choose Texas. Oddly enough, it's often the ones who most loudly proclaim their objections to other people being prejudiced against groups of people, but have an inability to see that they themselves are prejudiced against a state of 26,000,000+ and counting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 03:49 PM
 
8,275 posts, read 7,170,139 times
Reputation: 12092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

Secondly, Texans like to make themselves a big target by being loud. My friend from Conn, was laughing about how New Yorkers and Texans are the two most annoying groups of people to talk about where they live. It isn't wrong.
I had the same thought. Texans are much more boastful and arrogant compared to residents of most states.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 06:30 PM
 
1,052 posts, read 1,502,747 times
Reputation: 1327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post


Basically in summary, Texans talk a big game about Texas, People visit and aren't impressed, and Texas yell about Texas even more loudly in response to that to the point where they look silly talking about how they don't care what other people think, but actually, they really do.


This.

Can't rep you until I've spread some points around, ha ha, but you nailed it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
4,014 posts, read 2,518,246 times
Reputation: 4744
Furthermore, Texans don't always give the best impression when they are outside the state. Ask folks in Colorado. Wealthy Texans have been visiting Colorado for generations and their loudness, litter, and awful driving is not appreciated by a lot of the locals, even if they depend on the tourist dollar.

In my home state of Idaho a couple Texas billionaires just purchased a TON of land. They say it's because they love it and don't want to interfere, but one of the first things they did was put gates and dig ditches on their private roads that lead to the national forest. As long as those roads have existed, previous land owners have allowed people to cross their land to reach the public land as in many cases, they are the only real way to get there. The forest service even uses them. No one disagrees that it's within their legal rights to do this, but it's a big middle finger to all the folks from around there. Now you have half a state of people thinking "**** oil rich Texans."

Most Texans arn't jerks like this, but there are enough of them, and the culture is loud and brash enough that just about everyone has see a yosemite sam type character from Texas at some point and people tend to remember negative experiences more than positive ones.

Really the same thing can be said about New Yorkers as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 08:09 PM
 
1,380 posts, read 1,114,957 times
Reputation: 3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think there are alot of reasons for this, some of them are fair, some of them are not.

Firstly, Texas is a "flyover" state. It isn't just a flyover state, it's the largest, most populated state to swing red. We have the Bushes etc. Texas doesn't fly under the radar like alot of the western great plains states, so a certain amount of the hate is directed at the biggest target, that is Texas.

Secondly, Texans like to make themselves a big target by being loud. My friend from Conn, was laughing about how New Yorkers and Texans are the two most annoying groups of people to talk about where they live. It isn't wrong.

Thirdly, While we have large liberal cities, they don't show well. I remember the first time I flew into Dallas 9 years ago for college visits and the drive from the Airport down 183 was the ugliest drive I had made in my life. I liked the people and school, so I came here anyway but man, was it ugly.

I remember being totally unimpressed by downtown, which we visited during that time. I was expecting a "Big city" experience like the times I had been to Seattle or Denver or Chicago, but instead there were very tall buildings, but less people walking around than back in Boise's downtown.

Yes, we have made MASSIVE strides in this department, but still Dallas and Houston remain pretty underwhelming as places to visit and are very disappointing for the 4th and 5th largest metro areas respectively.

The first time I visited Houston was equity unimpressive.

My guides during my visited were from Katy and Plano respectively but knew basically nothing about the center cities. I know alot more about Dallas than tons of metroplex natives. I've even found I know more about Houston than some natives of the greater Houston area.

I really like both cities now of course, but you need a knowledgeable guide to show you around if you visit, and even then, it's a way better place to live than visit.

Add to all of this that the natural setting isn't that great. Phoenix is even more architecturally boring than DFW or Houston but they have the mountains. The only parts of Texas that are worth traveling any great distance to see from a natural beauty point of view (The I'll buy a flight, check my backpack and hike for a week when I arrive spots) will require you to travel several hours from the big cities.


Basically in summery, Texans talk a big game about Texas, People visit and aren't impressed, and Texas yell about Texas even more loudly in respond to that to the point where they look silly talking about how they don't care what other people think, but actually, they really do.
Yet, you're still here in Texas...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top