Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 08:22 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,454,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just how many persons does a twenty something late millennial evangelical Texan moving from a red area to potentially four or five much redder urban areas need to date to increase their statistical odds of finding a compatible life partner according to your data?
Impossible to quantify. Also, what is dating? Is going out on a date once with someone and not having future in-person interaction count as a person dated? In the secular dating sphere, the one date, no sex, no future in-person interaction date is quite common, especially on Tinder and Bumble. Offline, a lot of those are just approaches that go nowhere and don't lead to dates.

OP is in one of the reddest areas already in Midland. Trump won Midland County 76-21%. None of the other places he's considering are close to as red as Midland. Trump only won Tarrant County by 9%. If he wants to go to the North Dallas suburbs of Collin County, Trump won there by 17%.

I'd be curious to know what's going on with OP in Midland, and why he thinks a bigger market is what he needs. Midland-Odessa combined is about 250,000 people, which is a solid midsized area. It's probably more religious than anywhere else he's considering. Unless the sex ratio there is truly awful, which I haven't seen for sure, OP might be better off staying in Midland. Moves usually don't solve most people's dating woes, unless the area in question has a truly small population. I would say that occurs in areas with less than 100,000 population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Impossible to quantify. Also, what is dating? Is going out on a date once with someone and not having future in-person interaction count as a person dated? In the secular dating sphere, the one date, no sex, no future in-person interaction date is quite common, especially on Tinder and Bumble. Offline, a lot of those are just approaches that go nowhere and don't lead to dates.

OP is in one of the reddest areas already in Midland. Trump won Midland County 76-21%. None of the other places he's considering are close to as red as Midland. Trump only won Tarrant County by 9%. If he wants to go to the North Dallas suburbs of Collin County, Trump won there by 17%.

I'd be curious to know what's going on with OP in Midland, and why he thinks a bigger market is what he needs. Midland-Odessa combined is about 250,000 people, which is a solid midsized area. It's probably more religious than anywhere else he's considering. Unless the sex ratio there is truly awful, which I haven't seen for sure, OP might be better off staying in Midland. Moves usually don't solve most people's dating woes, unless the area in question has a truly small population. I would say that occurs in areas with less than 100,000 population.
I meant bluer areas. By the time I noticed, too late to edit.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:28 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Quote:

Hi RJ312, The sex ratio in Midland is really horrible because of all the roughnecks in town.Most of the women i do know are either taken, or too old or single moms.New girls show up at my church every once in a while.I am not dead set on a big city.

Last edited by C24L; 11-03-2018 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi RJ312, The sex ratio in Midland is really horrible because of all the roughnecks in town.Most of the women i do know are either taken, or too old or single moms.New girls show up at my church every once in a while.I am not dead set on a big city.
I wish I knew how bad the sex ratio was in Midland. Unfortunately, Midland was considered too small to qualify for the sex ratio map. Almost every larger city in the United States, including the ones you are considering, have a skewed sex ratio where there is a surplus of single men in the age brackets that you are considering. My sense is that Midland-Odessa's ratio might be so bad that the bad ratios is Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, Houston, or San Antonio might actually be an upgrade for you.

Generally speaking, as I said before, moving usually doesn't solve someone's dating woes, unless the place that they are moving from has some highly unfavorable conditions in place. A unusually bad sex ratio in Midland-Odessa would qualify.

Good for you for staying away from single moms though. A single mom is usually not a good candidate for a long term relationship. I have made it practice not to date single moms either.

Last edited by RJ312; 11-04-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 11-04-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I wish I knew how bad the sex ratio was in Midland. Unfortunately, Midland was considered too small to qualify for the sex ratio map. Almost every larger city in the United States, including the ones you are considering, have a skewed sex ratio where there is a surplus of single men in the age brackets that you are considering. My sense is that Midland-Odessa's ratio might be so bad that the bad ratios is Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, Houston, or San Antonio might actually be an upgrade for you.

Generally speaking, as I said before, moving usually doesn't solve someone's dating woes, unless the place that they are moving from has some highly unfavorable conditions in place. A unusually bad sex ratio in Midland-Odessa would qualify.

Good for you for staying away from single moms though. A single mom is usually not a good candidate for a long term relationships. I have made it practice not to date single moms either.
Thank you.I appreciate your input.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,210,557 times
OP is right about the Midland/Odessa skewed gender ratio. While I haven't seen it personally, my husband is in oil and gas and I've heard about it from him and some of his colleagues. It's an oil and gas boom out there and that brings tons of unattached men with money to burn to a town. My husband's company is having trouble keeping up with the requests from customers.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM

502 posts, read 391,401 times
I've heard San Antonio has more women than men but I'm not sure if that's true.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post

It might be true if all ages ranges are considered. There's usually a surplus of elderly women. OP does not benefit from a surplus of 65+ women. Among those 18-30, which is where OP is looking, single women outnumber single men in San Antonio and all the areas that are being asked about here.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Thank you...I dont think thats true because I think the map said San Antone has more men.

Last edited by C24L; 11-10-2018 at 01:49 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

3,950 posts, read 2,999,431 times
Dallas has to be the best bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas