Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:35 AM

12,733 posts, read 21,655,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I can understand the first paragraph but no Houston’s Indian food is not equal to Dallas’. Dallas’ Indian food is definitely better.
I understand what you’re saying. What I’m saying is Dallas’s Indian food isn’t Houston’s Cajun and Creole foods’ equivalent. A better comparison would be Dallas’s Indian food and Korean food vs. Houston’s Chinese food and Vietnamese food. There’s no answer to Houston’s Cajun and Creole foods in Dallas, since the foods are regional and are more ingrained in Houston’s cultural fabric.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I never ate crawfish prior to moving to Dallas. People eat crawfish in Dallas. Crawfish boils happen.
All of my Dallas friends had never eaten crawfish until they moved to Houston. I remember eating crawfish at this daiquiri spot in Houston with my friend, and she saw her friend from Dallas. We both noticed that he was eating his crawfish the wrong way and slowly. Lol. He told us that Dallas doesn’t eat crawfish like that and that it’s a “Houston thing.”

Old 01-27-2019, 11:42 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,333,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I understand what you’re saying. What I’m saying is Dallas’s Indian food isn’t Houston’s Cajun and Creole foods’ equivalent. A better comparison would be Dallas’s Indian food and Korean food vs. Houston’s Chinese food and Vietnamese food. There’s no answer to Houston’s Cajun and Creole foods in Dallas, since the foods are regional and are more ingrained in Houston’s cultural fabric.
The Korean food is probably the best example. The difference between the Korean food in Dallas vs. Houston is probably the same gap as the Cajun food.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
The Korean food is probably the best example. The difference between the Korean food in Dallas vs. Houston is probably the same gap as the Cajun food.
It’s not. All of the non-American foods that I mentioned for both metros are not as plentiful, as established, as long term, etc. as Cajun and Creole foods. You have a whole native black population and a huge black population from southern Louisiana that eat Creole food everyday. Also, you have a big white population that is Cajun and eats Cajun food daily. Don’t forget about the Vietnamese in Houston that are “Casian,” but they are more “recent” (1970s). Houston has a Chinatown and a Little Saigon, so I’m sure that Dallas’s Korean food is Houston’s answer to its Chinese or Vietnamese food. This is similar to Houston’s Nigerian and Dallas’s Kenyan, even though Houston’s Nigerian population is superior hands down.

Cajun and Creole foods are in the same boat as Tex Mex, which is regional.

You’re also forgetting Creole food for Houston. Again, Creole food is similar but different than Cajun food.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It’s not. All of the non-American foods that I mentioned for both metros are not as plentiful, as established, as long term, etc. as Cajun and Creole foods. You have a whole native black population and a huge black population from southern Louisiana that eat Creole food everyday. Also, you have a big white population that is Cajun and eats Cajun food daily. Don’t forget about the Vietnamese in Houston that are “Casian,” but they are more “recent” (1970s). Houston has a Chinatown and a Little Saigon, so I’m sure that Dallas’s Korean food is Houston’s answer to its Chinese or Vietnamese food. This is similar to Houston’s Nigerian and Dallas’s Kenyan, even though Houston’s Nigerian population is superior hands down.

Cajun and Creole foods are in the same boat as Tex Mex, which is regional.

You’re also forgetting Creole food for Houston. Again, Creole food is similar but different than Cajun food.
How many of these Cuisines have you eaten in Dallas?

I would also clarify that the overwhelming majority of Vietnamese in Houston aren’t anything resembling Casian. 94,000 of the 132,000 of Vietnamese in Houston were born in Vietnam.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-27-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 02:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,933,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I know they are larger in Houston, but they aren't non existent at all in Dallas.

I like alot of the individual bars in Houston, and I like that it is more laid back, but you don't have the same quality of clusters that you do in Dallas.
It's just not near as diverse as Houston's Latin American community. But that doesn't mean Dallas' isn't diverse too.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
How many of these Cuisines have you eaten in Dallas?

I would also clarify that the overwhelming majority of Vietnamese in Houston aren’t anything resembling Casian. 94,000 of the 132,000 of Vietnamese in Houston were born in Vietnam.
You have no clue.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:18 PM

Naw. I’m going to explain. Houston has Vietnamese spots that are fused with Cajun called Viet-Cajun. These places mostly serve crawfish but with seasoning on the outside. Also, just like in Louisiana and other parts of the Gulf Coast, Houston has places where Vietnamese people cook just straight Cajun foods like Hank’s, Lotus Seafood, and Calliope’s, which all have several locations in Houston each.

I hate when you act like I don’t know what I’m talking about. So annoying.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:26 PM

https://houston.eater.com/2017/2/27/...cajun-crawfish

Old 01-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You have no clue.
I love how you skipped over the first question and then lectured me about not having a clue when you make it overwhelming obvious that you don’t know a thing about Dallas expect for what you’ve “heard”.

Are you trying to be ironic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas