Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I've seen the Houston Chronicle run similar articles. https://www.chron.com/life/article/H...as-3628080.php
Honestly, any comparison article not written by a disinterested third party will be full of cherry picking just like this article was. While I bear no allegiance at this point to either city at this point, it would be easy for me to provide counter-arguments to a lot of the arguments in favor of Dallas. For example, Houston may have taller buildings but Dallas has a more memorable skyline. A tourist is more likely to buy a postcard of the Dallas skyline given a choice. Honestly, the Dallas/Fort Worth rivalry is stronger than the Dallas/Houston rivalry.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Honestly, any comparison article not written by a disinterested third party will be full of cherry picking just like this article was. While I bear no allegiance at this point to either city at this point, it would be easy for me to provide counter-arguments to a lot of the arguments in favor of Dallas. For example, Houston may have taller buildings but Dallas has a more memorable skyline. A tourist is more likely to buy a postcard of the Dallas skyline given a choice. Honestly, the Dallas/Fort Worth rivalry is stronger than the Dallas/Houston rivalry.
Sure, thats true.

As far as the Dallas vs Fort Worth rivalry goes, thats totally one sided. Only Fort Worth cares. I've never heard anyone in Dallas bash Fort Worth. The most "negative" things I've heard are, "I don't go out there" or "Oh yeah, the stockyards" or "I prefer living in Dallas" Most of the rare talk about Fort Worth is positive: "Oh yeah, nice museums/ zoo"

On the other hand I've heard tons of people in Fort Worth bash Dallas.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
I haven't heard people in Dallas bash Fort Worth but I have seen them have a patronizing attitude towards the city which is what annoys Fort Worth residents.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:35 AM

638 posts, read 568,486 times
Quote:
I haven't heard people in Dallas bash Fort Worth but I have seen them have a patronizing attitude towards the city which is what annoys Fort Worth residents.
I tend to agree with this. It's a big mistake to overlook what a fantastic town Fort Worth is. I live on the Dallas side of DFW but I go visit a friend in Cowtown a couple of times a month. Just a great city and people in a million ways.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
I've seen a little bit of that, but Fort Worth isn't Dallas's peer as many Fort Worth residents would like to think it is.

It's a great city, but it has alot more of a small town/ provincial vibe than Dallas does. It's less international and have more internal migrants from Texas than Dallas and it's suburbs do. It's a slower city in general and it's suburbs have less going on than the Dallas suburbs (Arlington aside, and Arlington is really a shared suburb between the the two cities that just happens to be in Tarrant County)

Again, it's a great city, I'm there for work once or twice a week and I don't think Dallas residents should sleep on it. It has the better zoo, great museums, and some fun places to go out, but it's a tier below Dallas as far as "Being big city" goes.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I've started visiting Fort Worth a lot more in the past year. I've noticed a good deal of people who just have a thing against Dallas. As an example, when I visit with my friends from Forth Worth, they hear I am from a suburb of Dallas and give this disapproving face "because its in Dallas," by which they mean the Dallas side of the metroplex. I have never seen anything like that on the Dallas side regarding Fort Worth or its suburbs, while the whole patronizing thing is 99% only people from Dallas proper and not its suburbs and targeted about completely towards Fort Worth, not its suburbs.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:38 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
I've seen a little bit of that, but Fort Worth isn't Dallas's peer as many Fort Worth residents would like to think it is.

It's a great city, but it has alot more of a small town/ provincial vibe than Dallas does. It's less international and have more internal migrants from Texas than Dallas and it's suburbs do. It's a slower city in general and it's suburbs have less going on than the Dallas suburbs (Arlington aside, and Arlington is really a shared suburb between the the two cities that just happens to be in Tarrant County)

Again, it's a great city, I'm there for work once or twice a week and I don't think Dallas residents should sleep on it. It has the better zoo, great museums, and some fun places to go out, but it's a tier below Dallas as far as "Being big city" goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I've started visiting Fort Worth a lot more in the past year. I've noticed a good deal of people who just have a thing against Dallas. As an example, when I visit with my friends from Forth Worth, they hear I am from a suburb of Dallas and give this disapproving face "because its in Dallas," by which they mean the Dallas side of the metroplex. I have never seen anything like that on the Dallas side regarding Fort Worth or its suburbs, while the whole patronizing thing is 99% only people from Dallas proper and not its suburbs and targeted about completely towards Fort Worth, not its suburbs.

You know this attitude Dallas and Fort Worth residents have towards each other is funny and it must be a little awkward for metroplex homers, because without each other neither would have anywhere near the clout they do together.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:57 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:

Arlington is a Fort Worth suburb and it’s not shared with Dallas. Arlington has no connections with Dallas outside of the Dallas Cowboys playing there. Arlington is virtually an extension of Fort Worth and none of its city limits lies within Dallas County. It’s silly to think that a suburb that touches Fort Worth entire eastern side is some kind of way linked to Dallas. That attitude your portraying is exactly why some Fort Worthians have a problem with Dallas. It’s that better than you mentality as if Dallas s*** don’t stank. Besides low key degrading Fort Worth only weakens Dallas status.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 11-01-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Arlington is a Fort Worth suburb and it’s not shared with Dallas. Arlington has no connections with Dallas outside of the Dallas Cowboys playing there. Arlington is virtually an extension of Fort Worth. It’s silly to think that a suburb that touches Fort Worth entire eastern side is some kind of way linked to Dallas. That attitude your portraying is exactly why some Fort Worthians have a problem with Dallas. It’s that better than you mentality as if Dallas s*** don’t stank.
I'm not sure why Dallas or even Fort Worth for that matter would want to claim Arlington. It has the charm of a used car lot and an economy of a Banana Republic. Hardly any public transit to speak of and a dumping ground to make Jerry Jones richer.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm not sure why Dallas or even Fort Worth for that matter would want to claim Arlington. It has the charm of a used car lot and an economy of a Banana Republic. Hardly any public transit to speak of and a dumping ground to make Jerry Jones richer.
It’s also one of the most diverse cities in this region and DFW amusement park playground. And if the truth be told Arlington is much more diverse then both Dallas and Fort Worth city limits. If folks actually ventured around Arlington you would see folks from just about every nationality. Much of DFW diversity in general are in the burbs. Folks in general need to lay-off Arlington. Every city has its pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas