Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times

Advertisements

I consider this very disturbing.

Reports of Voter Intimidation at Polling Places in Texas
Election official in Dallas County says it’s the worst she’s seen in decades

by Blake Paterson

https://www.propublica.org/article/r...laces-in-texas

Texas Voters Complaining That Machines Keep Changing Their Senate Vote
State officials say there is nothing they can do about it

By Matthew Chapman

https://www.alternet.org/election-03...ng-senate-vote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:58 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
In virtually every case where someone claims their vote was "switched" from one candidate to another on a touch screen voting machine you can blame that unit's touch screen calibration. It's not some sinister plan to steal an election, it's actually just machines that aren't properly calibrated prior to the election taking place so people think they're pressing one square but it blocks in another. To my knowledge there has never been an instance where a machine was found to actually be switching votes from one candidate to another.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
I'm not concerned. When I voted, I chose straight ticket but then verified that's what it recorded. As for the intimidation issue, people need to keep their damn mouths shut while they are in line waiting to vote.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
In virtually every case where someone claims their vote was "switched" from one candidate to another on a touch screen voting machine you can blame that unit's touch screen calibration. It's not some sinister plan to steal an election, it's actually just machines that aren't properly calibrated prior to the election taking place so people think they're pressing one square but it blocks in another. To my knowledge there has never been an instance where a machine was found to actually be switching votes from one candidate to another.
How big of a problem is this? I want everyone’s vote counted correctly even if they don’t agree with me.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
How big of a problem is this? I want everyone’s vote counted correctly even if they don’t agree with me.
Every year or election cycle we hear a handful of cases of this happening, it seems to be pretty well spread evenly across both sides and each side believes it's a clear sign that the other side is cheating or committing fraud. In reality it's a minuscule number of votes that might be affected and in most cases we hear about it because people caught it and fixed it. Think about how many times you hit the wrong button on your smart phone screen, calibration on touch screens on this kind of scale is difficult to get 100% correct.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:41 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The problems are not related to touch screen, at least not the ones I have seen written about. It is only related to straight ticket voting followed rapidly by pressing 'submit' before the machine can correctly populate all the fields. I don't know if there is a consistent results (i.e. more Beto to Cruz, or Cruz to Beto, or more left blank), but all three have been reported, iirc.

Check your votes and it is not a problem.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:20 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And on this one, we agree.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:31 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Voted straight ticket then reviewed every vote and the 3 propositions for my county. Everything was accurate so I paused a moment and pressed submit. After a 45 minute wait to vote I wasn’t about to make a mistake on my choices. I was also disturbed by the discussions in line. The woman behind me did not know what the propositions were so her husband loudly told her his opinions and how she should vote.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
The problem we have isn't too few people voting but too many stupid people voting. I'd like to see a federal law prohibiting any markings on the ballot except candidate name and position. No party affiliation and no straight ticket voting.

I was in line yesterday and heard one woman coaching another woman with her, telling her to just say she still lived at the same address and to say she is a citizen. I can't prove it but it sure sounded like some possible voter fraud there. I think the amount of voter fraud is vastly under-reported.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

I was in line yesterday and heard one woman coaching another woman with her, telling her to just say she still lived at the same address and to say she is a citizen. I can't prove it but it sure sounded like some possible voter fraud there. I think the amount of voter fraud is vastly under-reported.
Surely that can't be. We are assured by the media that there is no such thing as voter fraud. And the media never lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: