Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

LOL I never worry about any of this - it's just entertainment to me. And free at that (you get what you pay for, right?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I mean't diversity in terms of local culture, not ethnic or racial diversity
Which you yourself point out by dividing up the South and talking about the differences between Texas, Florida, and the Deep South. Although, that said, I don't know wny region of the US that has demographics morr diverse than the South throughout the entire region. Maybe Northeast, but that's only because of how physically large the Bos-Was corridor is with the rest of the region being also pretty monolithically White.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I mean't diversity in terms of local culture, not ethnic or racial diversity
Which you yourself point out by dividing up the South and talking about the differences between Texas, Florida, and the Deep South. Although, that said, I don't know wny region of the US that has demographics morr diverse than the South throughout the entire region. Maybe Northeast, but that's only because of how physically large the Bos-Was corridor is with the rest of the region being also pretty monolithically White.

Not only that, but (at least in the case of Houston and East Texas, the large hispanic population actually isnt old at all. The large hispanic population presence in Houston is fairly recent (as in, within the last 100 years)

Old 12-07-2018, 05:11 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Don't be so narrow minded. The South is more than the Southeast. One of the beauties of the South is specifically how diverse it is. As for why El Paso is part of the South and Arizona is not, El Paso is a part of Texas and, as a result, practiced slavery, seceded from the US for the Confederacy, and is defined as part of the South by the US government and its agencies. What someone else from somewhere else thinks generally does not have an influence on what I am or what I believe I am.

@ScrappyJoe, while it may be easy repeating the same old sayings everyone knows,, you haven't actually made a decent argument.

IMHO it is narrow minded to use things from over a 100 years ago to suggest that these 2 cities are southern, when the reality and present on the ground shows nothing of this. If cities like SA or El Paso simply are southern because way back then they can be connected to slavery and the Confederacy, then the south as a culture in today's world is pretty much made meaningless.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
IMHO it is narrow minded to use things from over a 100 years ago to suggest that these 2 cities are southern, when the reality and present on the ground shows nothing of this. If cities like SA or El Paso simply are southern because way back then they can be connected to slavery and the Confederacy, then the south as a culture in today's world is pretty much made meaningless.
OK, i get the El Paso distinction of not being a southern city and it being more like a Tucson or Albuquerque, but what makes San Antonio equivalent with it? Hispanic population?

What makes someone of Hispanic descent not be considered southern? My daughter-in-law's father is a third generation Texan of full Mexican descent who is very southern in his outlook. Born and raised in Fort Worth his accent, his world view, raised Southern Baptist, foods, etc, etc... southern all the way. The only difference he and I have is his skin is more olive. Other than that he is as southern as I am. He would be a fish out of water if he went to Mexico.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
OK, i get the El Paso distinction of not being a southern city and it being more like a Tucson or Albuquerque, but what makes San Antonio equivalent with it? Hispanic population?

What makes someone of Hispanic descent not be considered southern? My daughter-in-law's father is a third generation Texan of full Mexican descent who is very southern in his outlook. Born and raised in Fort Worth his accent, his world view, raised Southern Baptist, foods, etc, etc... southern all the way. The only difference he and I have is his skin is more olive. Other than that he is as southern as I am. He would be a fish out of water if he went to Mexico.

The entire vibe in SA is not southern. If you'd go to Richmond and then to SA you would not say that these two cities are similar culturally. Otherwise we might as well call all cities in the US, that are not super dense and/or on west coast or in the North East coats area "southern".

BTW I'm curios, what would you consider a southern world view?

Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
The entire vibe in SA is not southern. If you'd go to Richmond and then to SA you would not say that these two cities are similar culturally. Otherwise we might as well call all cities in the US, that are not super dense and/or on west coast or in the North East coats area "southern".

You think you are southern and you don't have a problem with it and don't go on web discussion sites and try and distance yourself from being a southerner.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You think you are southern and you don't have a problem with it and don't go on web discussion sites and try and distance yourself from being a southerner.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:32 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:

I disagree. I think the vibe in San Antonio is more southern than Dallas. Take a look at the King William neighborhood south of downtown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4127...7i13312!8i6656

I consider being Texan just an offshoot of being southern, same as being a Virginian, or Kentuckian. They might have particular local pride.

None of these regions are monoliths. Michigan and South Dakota are both Midwestern. Sure South Dakota has a western vib and Michigan a more eastern vibe, but thats fine.

Utah, Colorado and Nevada all have different vibes, cultures, and radically different laws. They are all still the west.

I quite frankly don't see how being Hispanic disqualifies you from being a southerner any more than being a native american in the Dakotas would make you not a Midwesterner.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:

Go to NOLA and compare that to Richmond, you won't think they are even from the same planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas