Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I disagree. I think the vibe in San Antonio is more southern than Dallas. Take a look at the King William neighborhood south of downtown:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4127...7i13312!8i6656

I consider being Texan just an offshoot of being southern, same as being a Virginian, or Kentuckian. They might have particular local pride.

None of these regions are monoliths. Michigan and South Dakota are both Midwestern. Sure South Dakota has a western vib and Michigan a more eastern vibe, but thats fine.

Utah, Colorado and Nevada all have different vibes, cultures, and radically different laws. They are all still the west.

I quite frankly don't see how being Hispanic disqualifies you from being a southerner any more than being a native american in the Dakotas would make you not a Midwesterner.

King William is a great area. I know it very well. Beautiful neighborhood. However I can't agree it has a southern vibe.
And what is all this stuff about Hispanics and that they would be the reason for disqualification in any way?

Where did I state that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Go to NOLA and compare that to Richmond, you won't think they are even from the same planet.

I can't comment on NOLA since I never been there. But I think it would be safe to say the Louisiana and it's cities are predominantly southern (yes?) so NOLA could be an exception. Texas and the majority of its cities are not southern . Even if one would summarily declare everything east of I35 southern (which btw I wouldn't agree with) that still leaves a huge chunk not southern.

That is my opinion, I'm sure you don't share it.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:06 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
IMHO it is narrow minded to use things from over a 100 years ago to suggest that these 2 cities are southern, when the reality and present on the ground shows nothing of this. If cities like SA or El Paso simply are southern because way back then they can be connected to slavery and the Confederacy, then the south as a culture in today's world is pretty much made meaningless.
I do think the "South" as some monolithic cultural region is completely meaningless. El Paso and San Antonio are currently Southern in their own way and similarities ther cities may have to them do not diminish that. The West doesn't have a monopoly on having an established Hispanic populations, arid climates, and small black rural populations. In the same way neither the Deep South or original Southern colonies, neither of which Texas (or vast majority, including its population) is a part, has a monopoly on defining "Southern vibe."

Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
Quote:
I can't comment on NOLA since I never been there. But I think it would be safe to say the Louisiana and it's cities are predominantly southern (yes?) so NOLA could be an exception. Texas and the majority of its cities are not southern . Even if one would summarily declare everything east of I35 southern (which btw I wouldn't agree with) that still leaves a huge chunk not southern.

That is my opinion, I'm sure you don't share it.
Yeah no, NOLA is absolutely southern, it's just very, very different from the rest of the south (Catholic, French influence etc)

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 12-07-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I do think the "South" as some monolithic cultural region is completely meaningless. El Paso and San Antonio are currently Southern in their own way and similarities ther cities may have to them do not diminish that. The West doesn't have a monopoly on having an established Hispanic populations, arid climates, and small black rural populations. In the same way neither the Deep South or original Southern colonies, neither of which Texas (or vast majority, including its population) is a part, has a monopoly on defining "Southern vibe."

That is fair then. I can agree with that in that context and from the POV.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
King William is a great area. I know it very well. Beautiful neighborhood. However I can't agree it has a southern vibe.
And what is all this stuff about Hispanics and that they would be the reason for disqualification in any way?

Where did I state that?
What vibe does it possibly have then? I don't know if you are familiar with the Neoclassical style or architecture in general, but if King William isn't southern in style I have no idea what it is. The style certainly isn't Midwestern or Western.

Sure, you get a mix of some other stuff mixed in, a couple Second Empire, a Modern but some of the biggest and oldest homes are all Greek Revival, Neoclassical etc. The "Whos Who" list of southern architectural styles.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
What vibe does it possibly have then? I don't know if you are familiar with the Neoclassical style or architecture in general, but if King William isn't southern in style I have no idea what it is. The style certainly isn't Midwestern or Western.

Sure, you get a mix of some other stuff mixed in, a couple Second Empire, a Modern but some of the biggest and oldest homes are all Greek Revival, Neoclassical etc. The "Whos Who" list of southern architectural styles.

The vibe I get in King William, is the same I get at the Blue Star and all along of S. Alamo and practically Southtown in general. Hipster Central.

People say Maryland is southern yet Baltimore has row-homes like in Philadelphia. So I wouldn't get too hung up on architecture. But I can appreciate how one would count as a factor.

I think we have just have different perspectives and definition on the vibe of a city and/or culture there.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The vibe I get in King William, is the same I get at the Blue Star and all along of S. Alamo and practically Southtown in general. Hipster Central.
Yeah, but "Hipster" isn't a region. You can have hipsters in Atlanta or Portland, and the cities still keep their respective vibes and still belong in their respective regions.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:22 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As a former resident of Los Angeles, I don't get the comparisons between Houston and Los Angeles.
In the wise words of Molly Ivins, "Houston is Los Angeles with the climate of Calcutta."

The comparisons are simply in the sense of foil, where ostensible differences are used to highlight the uncanny similarities. Or vice-versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Not only that, but (at least in the case of Houston and East Texas, the large hispanic population actually isnt old at all. The large hispanic population presence in Houston is fairly recent (as in, within the last 100 years)
So Hispanics have been present for over half of Houston's existence? With that half corresponding to truly important growth? Wow, they truly do have a storied presence there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I mean't diversity in terms of local culture, not ethnic or racial diversity
Which you yourself point out by dividing up the South and talking about the differences between Texas, Florida, and the Deep South. Although, that said, I don't know wny region of the US that has demographics morr diverse than the South throughout the entire region. Maybe Northeast, but that's only because of how physically large the Bos-Was corridor is with the rest of the region being also pretty monolithically White.
And local culture is a reflection of the demographics, which race and ethnicity plays an important role. The South may not be monolithic, but the Hispanic contingent of Texas is still too strong of a deviance. And given that Texas Hispanics are largely of Mexican descent, a phenomenon most significant elsewhere in the SW US states, it's not hard to see why issues arise in trying to classify Texas as wholy Southern.

Last edited by kemahkami; 12-08-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:07 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
So Hispanics have been present for over half of Houston's existence? With that half corresponding to truly important growth? Wow, they truly do have a storied presence there..
Very true...youd think theyd have a much longer history there as large as the population is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas