Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 04:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Sam Houston had the chance to sign an oath of loyalty to the CSA and maintain his position as Governor but decided not to. His political position before the war was to only support slavery where slavery already existed and he ran and won the 1858 election for Governor ona Unionist platform. His change in position after he was ousted from office smacks of political intrigue and perhaps an attempt to position himself for office after the war ended.

He fought very hard to get Texas into the Union and he did not want Texas to leave it, this is clear.

No, he did not want Texas to leave the Union,but once it did he declared himsef "a conservative citizen of the Southern Confederacy." and that his "secton" was now "his country" and that he stood with it. An admiral stance IMO, naturally.

"The time has come when a man's section is his country. I stand by mine. All my hopes, my fortunes, my affections, are centered in the South. When I see the land for whose defense my blood has been spilt, threatened with invasion,I can but cast my lot with thiers, and await the issue."
--San Houston

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-15-2021 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: add attribution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 06:24 PM

[quote=MustermannBB;53810509]Then I was wrong and we don't agree as I don't share your opinion other than the geographically part of it everything for else IMHO Texas is not a southern state.

So sez you.

hvhgvgnfcfngcfgcgfcfgcfgcfncngfcgf

Old 12-15-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas is not part of the southeast. We are geographically south-central.
East & southeast Texas are part of the South. West Texas is southwestern..
It may not be culturally sotheastern, but the poster's point was that if one started at the geographic center of the lower 48 states and drew a line on both a north/south and east/west axis, thus dividing the country into four quarters, then roughly half of the state would be in the southeast quadrant and the other in the southwestern one. And Texas is going to the SEC soon, which ought to be very interesting. Just saying

Old 12-15-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Texas Reb would say Texas is the South thru and thru. The "Western" version of the south, but still the south. That pretty much describes the state as a whole and a good place to end the discussion.

Yessir, the "Western South" pretty much is how I would describe it; that's cultural geographer Raymond Gastil places it in his book CultRegions of the United States.ural I think it can be googled to see the exact map.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:29 PM

223 posts, read 141,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
LOL, EUGENICS?!? Is that what you're going to accuse me of, for saying that people typically look different between cities like San Antonio---which is mostly HISPANIC---and Memphis---which is predominately BLACK...?!? LOL, Really?!?

I can't speak for the other guy you are trying to lump me in with, but when I say people even of the same race look different between different cities and from state to state, I'm not talking about their "stock," or "phenotype," as you put it. Even for people of the same race, I'm talking about things such as hairstyles, style of dress, as well as mannerisms, attitude, and accents, and all of those things DO vary from city to city, even from Dallas to Houston or between Memphis and Nashville. I have actually on multiple ocassions seen or met people in Dallas or Houston, looked at the way their hair was cut, how they dressed, and observed their demeanor and listened to the way they sound when they talk and asked them, "You're from Memphis, aren't you?" and been correct (I'm originally from Memphis myself, so I would know). THAT'S what I personally am talking about. So, keep your eugenics accussations and angry 14 paragragh history lesson posts for the other guy who is talking about blonde hair vs. black hair and stuff (even though even with that, I do get what he is TRYING to say, even though it's not the same as what **I** was saying).
This right here.

I don't have the time to respond to one of redlions novels.

People from Memphis do not look like people from Dallas......period.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:28 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yessir, the "Western South" pretty much is how I would describe it; that's cultural geographer Raymond Gastil places it in his book CultRegions of the United States.ural I think it can be googled to see the exact map.
I disagree,
I would call Texas “South Central”

For one thing, if you drive on I-10 from the West coast to the East coast
Texas is 1/3 of the trip

Old 12-15-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You can name something extremely unique about every state in the south.

For every Texan unique stereotype, there’s a southern one attatched to the state

Southern Baptist majority
Football
Plantation history
Metro areas that are relatively Republican
Guns, guns, guns, guns
Predominately black small towns

I find it hilarious that Texans are embarrassed of their southern roots really.

This Texan isn't . I'm proud of my Southern roots and heritage. God bless the South! Deo Vindici

Old 12-16-2021, 06:41 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I find it hilarious that Texans are embarrassed of their southern roots really.
Not sure how those things are Southern culture,
you found that in Northern states, too ... except for plantations

Last edited by Dopo; 12-16-2021 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 07:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
Oh noes...we are not "Southern" or "world class"

...what will we do? LOL

Seriously...why bicker and debate things as meaningless as these labels?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Oh noes...we are not "Southern" or "world class"

...what will we do? LOL

Seriously...why bicker and debate things as meaningless as these labels?

Because none of us can dance and the bar is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas